Best Multiplayer?

Sir Ash

Hey guys,

I've been reading a bit about multiplayer on these forums, but I'm wandering, which method (FS Host, FSX Gamespy servers, Vatsim) of multiplayer I've been going on the FS Host server put up, but i'm not sure if people use it much anymore.

I'm also doing a little reading about Vatsim. I'm planning to have a go at it, but just not sure. I usually do mostly VFR flying in FSX, but am just a little worried about doing the wrong thing in Vatsim, though I've done the beginner's reading.

Thanks for any help. By the way, I'm also on the official FTX Teamspeak server as well at times.

You need a thicker skin than I've got to fly with the VATSIM crowd.  I joined after setting up FSINN and whatever else it was I needed, logged on, and did a flight from Wollongong to Bankstown VFR.  I made a simple error in an inbound call and had a couple of members snigger and comment on my less than perfect technique.  Suffice to say I landed and uninstalled the multiplayer software and haven't been back since.

Jon - similar experience here!

I think it depends what you are looking for  .....  if you want to get stressed bout your radio calls, or practice RL procedures, maybe VATSIM is the place.

If you are keen for a bit of a relaxed sightsee ... then elsewhere.

OzX Flying club does some multiplayers around Oz from/to OrbX and OzX fields.  Very friendly bunch of guys ...

Hi

I agree that some people in Vatpac can be off putish. However there is a group that meets every Friday and Sunday for new comers that are just starting up. I have been doing it now for approx 2 months and have to say that everyone there will help you out, they use their own teamspeak channel so that you can chat and get guidance along the way as well as using the ATC channels. Using both com1 and com2 for either side. There was a discussion on the Vatpac VFR here

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=14660.msg126719#msg126719.

All I can say is they are a great group and will not snob you out. A good way to start.

Ken  ;)

You need a thicker skin than I've got to fly with the VATSIM crowd.  I joined after setting up FSINN and whatever else it was I needed, logged on, and did a flight from Wollongong to Bankstown VFR.  I made a simple error in an inbound call and had a couple of members snigger and comment on my less than perfect technique.  Suffice to say I landed and uninstalled the multiplayer software and haven't been back since.

Good lord that is judgmental, defeatist and just plain sookish to be honest.

I am a semi-regular on VATSIM, and had a less than ceremonious entry to the world of VATSIM, by not knowing a single thing about what I was doing in terms of commercial aviation ATC etc. The mistakes I made were met with silence from ATC, obviously amazed that someone would say such a thing, or not know what was supposed to happen, BUT when I said, I am new to this, or typed a message to explain, I don't understand, I have never, repeat NEVER had a controller, or pilot treat me with any disrespect, and they have been 110% helpful in guiding me to the answers, or telling me what is right or wrong. All that is required is either text in your remarks section when filing a flight plan that your new or something to that effect, or telling the controllers when you speak to them that your not 100% sure on what is correct preocedure, and you will not have any dramas at all.

VATSIM is the cream of the crop for real life operations, run under real life conditions, this may not appeal to some, and remember when flying VFR you will rarely come into contact with any controller, so you will have less chance to make a mistake, embarrass yourself, or come across any nasty comments.

just my 2 cents worth, VATSIM is the place to go for multiplayer.

I've struck some clowns on VATSIM and by and large they are a good bunch some of the US controllers think they know it all and were very guarded when I had a go at them saying  that the 3 rules are Aviation, Navigation and then Communication.

If a pilot makes a call advising of his course speed Altitude etc he is fullfilling the Aviation requirement  full stop.

If the call is a little odd the controller should either send text to the Pilot and outline the way the call is needed.

Don't let one silly bugger put you off.

A Case in Point inbound call made at 1:05 PM

"Bankstown Tower - Traffic C182 PWN is inbound this time currently abeam Holdsworthy tracking Three Zero Zero at One Thousand Fife Hundred on decent for One Thousand, estimate circuit area time 15 full stop, PWN."

I do online flights every weekend with some of my friends, we use Hamachi to connect via the LAN function of FSX, works good but Hamachi seems to have some problems lately and we´re switching to another VPN software soon, only problem is that you need someone to fly with

Well, I finally got connected to Vatsim last night. Since I was far out at YCBB, I tuned into Melbourne Centre and recieved a warm welcome, since I said I was new. I was offered help but said that I wasn't doing my first flight, just listening to ATC, though I couldn't here much.

Anyway, today I might do my first flight in Vatsim, from or to Tamworth to celebrate the arrival of my YSTW scenery package.8)

Well done Asheroo as I told you yesterday shoot the vatpac events team an e-mail and get on the mailing list for the event pacs. If you put in your comments section of your flight plan that you are a newbi they will be very helpfull. Also there is a bunch of fellows of about your age that get on the vatpac teamspeak almost every day that get into the virtual airline thing. they are all keen aviators with real world aspirations many of them doing flying trainning when they can. they get into the virtual airline stuff and lern alot about real world procedures while they are at it. School holidays brings a rash of young pilots into vatsim and many are there for the first time.

Vatsim controllers try and act as real life as possible but if you let them know that you are new to all the ATC stuff you will find they are more than helpfull because after all the more people they have online flying the more fun they have as controllers.  8)

Buggerup.

Also for any of you nasayers out there here is the sort of post that Vatpac puts out to its controllers!

Dealing with a NEWBIE pilot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario:

You've been controlling for a while and now that you have settled in you look forward to getting on-line, especially when there is a bit of traffic and your limit is being pushed even further; you even enjoy it.

Traffic is building up and you have worked out a plan for dealing with it, just like a real pro. As you start to put your plan into action even more traffic shows up and now you are really buzzing.

Just when you think it can't get much better than this, it happens!

A 'no idea' pilot shows up wanting direct routing with vectors right through your traffic. The pilot has 'no idea' of flight plans, clearances, or navigation etc.

It happens to us all at some time or other, usually when we are least able to cope with it. Before you decide to log-off and come back another day, let's stop and think about the situation.

Remember! ... the aviation environment is quite overwhelming for a low-time newbie so the only problem with this pilot is they need help that you could give if you had the time.

You, and most of the other pilots, started off pretty much like this before you came to grips with it all. You just needed help to make a start and were looking for a bit of encouragement, that's all.

ATC Coping Strategies

Let's have a look at some strategies to assist ATC in this situation.

Basically, you need to bide your time.

If you are busy with traffic and have a newbie on the ground needing coaching about a route, flight plan, clearance etc, then tell them you are busy and to sit tight for a while until you get a chance to give the kind of help they need. This has a number of benefits:

The controller is able to cope

The regular mainstream is not unduly delayed

The newbie gets a chance to hear others doing it while they wait

Airborne is a little bit trickier, but you can vector them out of the way and there they can either orbit or pause. Yes! ? If they are out of the way then pause is a viable option since it is only a simulation.

It is usually better to get them off frequency and into private chat in text, that way they can re-read what you have said, over and over. They will also feel more comfortable in private away from others.

The pilot may have to wait a while until you have a gap in traffic so you need to keep up their interest with something like this:

"Listen to these guys and you'll soon see how it's done"

... and don't forget they are new so add;

"to reply use .msg sy_twr <text details>"

The important thing is to make the new pilot feel welcome, and not make them feel like they are being a pain in the butt and don't really belong.

Remember! ... if you can look after the mainstream, then the longer you keep the newbie with you the more chance you have of helping them and at the same time making them aware of the resources, PRC, VA's, WebPages etc, thereby achieving the ultimate goal, to get them started.

Even if they don't get to complete the flight at least they will come back.

If you really want to go the extra yards and provide some personal help, then why not set a suitable time/place to link up on-line when you are free and more able to help them.

Summary

Tell the pilot they need some help but you are busy.

Ask the pilot to sit tight for a while until you can deal with them.

Get them off frequency and into private chat.

Offer them a simple flight, such as Melbourne to Avalon and back.

If their problem is the flying, then recommend a simple off-line practice flight.

If their problem is the airspace or dealing with ATC, then recommend some off-line study.

Promote the use of the Pilot Resource Centre.

Point out the resources at VATSIM or VATPAC.

Don't forget, it is alright to say NO.

Saying NO to their request is alright if you have made them feel welcome and they understand that you are too busy to help right now.

Roland

I don't like VATSIM mostly because of the horrible FPS impact I get.  Squawkbox doesn't seem to be the friendliest (or most reliable) program out there.

I fly multiplayer on my world tour hoplist's server: 65.8.112.254 port 23461

The IP isn't static though.  It is under "Dangerous Dave's FS Hosting" in FS Host Spy.  It is a fun quest around the world in 961 hops.  It takes you to every continent and is about 150,000 miles long.  8)

This month at FigAir Multiplayer Servers they have a hoplist that is called Beat Around The Bush. Its a circumnavigation of Australia using single naturally aspirated props only. There is also a FSPassenger scenario to go with it if your wanting a little more adventure.  Using FSHost at IP: figs.hopto.org and port 23456. Just connect and join the Monthly Hops Server. Friendly bunch of guys from around the world.

More info at www.figair.com

Well, just did my first flight in Vatsim, with take-off help from ATC (very friendly), and yeah, that was pretty good. I told them I was new, but so was another there so we were both guided.

Though, the main problem with me is that I usually fly online during the day (well, for the next 2 months due to school holidays), so there's not much activity as to later at night, when I go to bed. Anyway, it would be nice to see if we can get more use out of the current official FTX multiplayer server (info in the thread in the Tips, Tricks & Techniques Section) and have more people on it and do some flights around the amazing scenery together.

@ Packo88 - Thanks for that, been always trying to find a nice regional virtual airline. I'll look into it later.

@ Maurice_King - Yeah, I'm using SB4, since FSInn had many problems with me. SB4 still has some minor problems (mainly just how the server list won't show up), but I'm still able to connect just like that.

If any of you are on Vatsim, lookout for me, callsign = A-ANMP

hi just quickly regarding your callsign it would be best to use VH-XXX where XXX are 3 letters of your choice. It's more realistic unless your flying Virgin use VOZXXX where XXX is your flight number FQXXX Brindabella QFXXX Qantas etc :)

Thanks for the tip Flyguy.8) I'll change it then to VH-AMP.

Thanks for the tip Flyguy.8) I'll change it then to VH-AMP.

That's sounds good! :) I'll look out for you then! I mostly control YBBN!

Flyguy737 whats your name, Id like to know who you are when I am online, I usually fly with the ident 737 after mainly QF or VOZ, I am founder of Australian virtual airline group.

hehe not too many Colin's online around YBBN! hahaha :)

I point to note. Radio calls are supposed to follow various patterns but it is not uncommon to hear non-standard communication in real life. We aren't all robots! If someone has a snigger because something is forgotten or unknown then not only are they showing their own lack of maturity but the odd mistake helps make VATSIM realistic! :-)

I keep meaning to get online and do some circuit bashing while the heavys are comming in but never get around to it :-(

Steven.

I don't like VATSIM mostly because of the horrible FPS impact I get. 

Have you tried disable weather by default in the settings for it? It can have a huge impact on the smoothness of your sim, Often below 1000ft, but turn it off, and smooth as a babies bum. Use active sky or something similar so you still get real weather.

I keep meaning to get online and do some circuit bashing while the heavys are comming in but never get around to it :-(

I've thought of doing the same thing. Especially considering that I do exactly that early on a weekday morning in real life on occasion ;D.

You're right we're not robots and mistakes are made. They are also usually ignored unless they are critical. For instance, miss a clearance read back and you'll be asked to repeat it. Forget to state the altitude you're passing through when calling approach while climbing away and they'll usually ignore it because you are the only little plane out there so they can't mix you up.

I've heard a Qantas pilot begin his whole speel of IFR clearance, get competely muddled, pause and end with "ah crap, we're good to go.". I've also heard an ATC end a conversation here in Canberra with "Cheers" when asking a 737 pilot to move off a taxiway.

Hey, I am a twr controller on vatsim. All I can suggest is to listen to Live ATC of a little while. Sydney and Melbourne are good ones to listen to because you get both GA and commercial movements. http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=ymmb also put in your rmk that your a noob and controllers will most of the time take it easy on you. ;D just stick with it and you will learn.

Archived