LOWI vs KMRY

Right now LOWI is the only scenery I have installed for AFS2. I don't even have the free regions or high res parts from IPACS installed because I can't stand scenery without 'autogen'. LOWI is absolutely great in that regard. Now I am waiting for FTX Netherlands to be released but even though LOWI is interesting enough to fly around every now and then I'd also like another area to fly in with the same quality. In comes KMRY. However, I can't find any information about how large the area is. The nice things of LOWI is that there are mountains all around so you can fly over mountain ridges and 'discover' new aera's. It feels kind of huge! But it seems to me that the scenery of KMRY can be overseen from edge to edge as soon as you are airborn. It looks a lot smaller and since you can see everything in one go it isn't too interesting to fly over again and again. Does anyone know how the KMRY area compares to LOWI in size?

Maybe I should just wait for FTX Netherlands... that one will give me enough space to keep me entertained for ages but well, since we don't know when it will be released I am in doubt what to do right now...

BTW I only use Aerofly FS 2 for some quick low and slow flights: for my 'more serious' simming I use P3D. But given the performance of AFS2 I think I will buy FTX Netherlands for AFS2 and not P3D. P3D is nice for flying high and dry while checking the instruments: for enjoying the scenery it isn't too good, at least not once you've seen AFS2.

The size of KMRY is a bit smaller; LOWI has the largest coverage area of any ORBX airport. 

5a2ba829a3c3f.jpg

The massive benefit of KMRY though, is that it is located in the middle of the primary default AFS2 scenery area - California. Whilst the surrounding scenery is not at the same fidelity as an ORBX airport product, it does have rudimentary vegetation, and most importantly, many good-quality default airports close by. Scenic areas such as Big Sur, the Bay region and Sierra Nevada are covered quite nicely in the default area. 

If you are looking for an ORBX airport that has both a large coverage area and is surrounding by good-quality default scenery (and default airports), we have KEGE (Eagle County) in final testing at the moment. This airport has one of our largest coverage areas (approaching LOWI in size and scope), and includes a great deal of interesting mountain terrain to explore. It also blends smoothly into the free Aerofly Colorado region, which is definitely one of the best default scenery areas from the AFS2 team. 

sepoUUy.jpg

Cheers,

Jarrad

This brings up a question from me: Flying over Monterey, one can't help but notice that the scenery coloration seems quite a bit more "Balanced" than the default......

This makes me wish, (and wonder) especially as I expect Orbx will probably be doing quite a few airports in that part of the world, whether you have ever, or might ever, consider a Quality Statewide ortho for california or other areas where Orbx products will be appearing........

A good question, however a couple of things to consider: 

- Colour balancing/editing and cleaning up imagery is a very time-intensive process, even on the scale of a project the size of Monterey

- The default IPACS Californian imagery, both in "regular" and "HD" versions, is in my opinion, very well done. 

- If we were to consider something like this, it would be far more likely to be part of a full-scale region product (with complete cultivation, night lighting, POI etc).. ie similar to what we're working on with the Netherlands and PNW. 

Cheers

Archived