Love airports with sound files

curt1

One reason I enjoy Orbx so much is the character and charm of the smaller airports.  A part of that includes sound files, where you may hear birds, hangar sounds, lawnmowers, people laughing,  or even a cow.  I really appreciate these as I always jump into avatar mode after the flight and walk around exploring all there is to see.  To not do that is missing out on the uniqueness of each airport and absorbing it fully.  (In P3Dv4.1, just Ctrl-Shift-E to avatar mode, hit R once for slow jog, and off you go). 

So, I'm posting this as an encouragement to the developers to please continue doing so for upcoming releases.  I absolutely love them and I remember them over the airfields where there is no sound environment.   

Sounds can be immersive if you are using an avatar or Bob to explore an airport on the ground, or sitting in an open cockpit before starting the engine.

Environmental sounds, AI traffic, and moving "Flow" objects all help bring an airport to life.

However, I also find environmental sounds jarringly unrealistic when I hear chirping birds, or a distant saw mill, over the noise of my running engine.

I wish there was a way to have environmental sounds realistically affected by closed canopies and engine noise.

7 hours ago, h3pilot said:

I wish there was a way to have environmental sounds realistically affected by closed canopies and engine noise

Hi Matt,

I don't know if there is a way to attenuate sound based specifically on whether an aircraft canopy is open or not, but for my next project, the ambient sound will be localized, will attenuate with the distance from the spot and you won't hear it at all beyond a certain distance.  And these parameters are easy to adjust.

Larry

Archived