Abbreviation AI Aircraft

Sundancer

Hello virtual flyers,

In Static and AI Aircraft Alex explained the difference between static and non-static (AI) aircraft.

The difference is clear to me except one simple question......where stands "AI" for. I can't imagine that it is an abbreviation for Airtificial Intelligence (subject in ICT).

There are hundreds of articles on the Internet about AI Aircrafts, lots of youtube videos, but nowhere can I find the meaning of "AI".

Who knows....?

Best regards Fred

Hello Stewart,

Thanks for clarification.

Although the little buggers fly all over the place, guided by the sim, this is in my opinion NOT a type of artificial Intelligence.

When they should operate autonomous on their own, like robots do it is AI. In the old days when the concept of AI Aircraft was introduced, there was hardly no robotics yet.

Anyway, the abbreviation is solved.

Best regards Fred

Take offs, landings, radio comms, touch and gos, flying along proscribed flight routes, all come pretty close to autonomous operations, each aircraft doing its own thing.  To me, that's very close to AI, if not the strict definition of AI.  It's amazing our laptops and desktops can handle the workload at all.

Archived