Download System.

psk2449

I would suggest to the management that the present method of product distribution is unwieldy, abysmally slow and inefficient. Scenery files are now large and complicated and will become more so with further sophistication. I am sure all of us find it extremely inconvenient to tie up our computers for 5, 10 or 15 hours to do downloads. I recently purchased   FTX Global Vector and have tried unsuccessfully to download it 9 times. Each time it started and ran to about halfway at a miserable 159 KILOBITES PS (0.159 Mbs). It then ran erratically until it dribbled away to 1.14 KILOBITES PS (.0009 Mbs virtually at a standstill) and then failed completely. I duly posted a copy of the first three error reports on the forum, but as far as I am aware, nobody has either read or analysed them to locate the source of the problem. The manual download did not work at all, just posting a message that it would take 12 hours and stayed stubbornly on 0%.  In any case, I have not the least idea of the origin  "address" of Global Vector or the destination for a download manager.This highlights the problem with forums in that technical problems get submerged in the morass of operational ones such as trees on runways and missing buildings.

While Obyx operates in some aspects like a sort of club, the reality is that it is a commercial enterprise and we are customers. Accordingly bought products should be delivered in a timely and efficient manner or lose sales, repeat business and loyalty. The present system does not do so. The old system through FSS with zip files and the option to have the file on disc worked excellently. While I understand that the present system was designed to maintain monopoly of product and distribution, it just does not hack it. May I respectfully suggest that I for one would be quite willing to pay a premium to have my product delivered on a small cheap USB stick which could be easily posted in a normal envelope.

I would be most interested to hear what other customers think. I have still not got Global vector.

Hello,

thank you for that.

Please return to the topic that you have running in the FTX Central v3 forum.

It is receiving plenty of attention, untroubled by requests for other support and

is presently awaiting a reply from you to the latest support suggestion from Matthew.

Not to hijack a post but I have always wondered....presuming that one cannot download faster than Orbx's servers can upload (might be using wrong terminology but I am sure readers know what I m trying to say) what is the average speed that Orbx uploads? The factors I can think of effecting speeds in no particular order 1. Upload speed 2. ISP speed 3. your line speed i.e. cable, optic fibre etc 4. your home modem/server 5. your own internet setup. Lot's to consider.

Nick, Thanks for your reply. I did the adjustments that Matt suggested and Wow , what a difference in download speed. Amazing. I unconditionally withdraw my comments re Orbx speed. Seems that the actual failure of signal was my ISP. We will have a discussion. I still think that my idea of distribution on USB sticks is good if financially feasible. Thanks for your help. Sorry if I ruffled a few feathers.

Archived