Airport coverage of regions

DeeJay

Hey!

Recently I just revisited the coverage of smaller airfields, as I intended to fly more VFR again and concentrate on the best planes.

What I find quite remarkable is, that PNW is the area I still fly most VFR in because the coverage with pw airports is so dense. It's similar for Eastern Australia. I purchased nearly all of those airfields over the years so that I'm now quite familiar with the region. And I've never been to either of those two places in real life!

I hoped to see as many airfields in some other regions, that might differ from PNW - such as New Zealand, Ireland, GES, SoCal, Alaska/PFJ...

There is only one region I can remember there was a similar airfield density: Southern England/London area. However I always felt that wasn't a very good choice because of huge FPS and VAS problems before there was P3D v4.

Wouldn't it be a good strategy to focus a bit more on filling the amazing regions with some more payware airports? Maybe some regions weren't filled because the didn't sell very well... But for me personally it was vice versa: I didn't buy some regions because there were no or very few airports there. Is my attitude an exception?

As much as a (would) love the rendition of "isolated" ORBX places like Innsbruck, Telluride, Bilbao or Parry Sound, it feels (would feel) quite "lonely" to fly in and out with a GA plane and flying hours to reach the next destination with an airfield of the same quality you took off from.

I have been thinking along these lines and was thinking of posting. The whole world is a very big place.

My impression is still that PNW remains one of the most interesting areas to fly light aircraft. Partly because of the many small airports with high detail being available. I think many would buy more airports in that region.

I imagine most people will like scenery for wherever they may live and then, depending on their penchant, will likely  opt for another area to 'bushfly'.

Anyway it PNW and to a lesser extent the connected North American areas for me. I also think the UK is good size area but doesn't appear as yet to be as interesting in ORBX. Jet flight from north to south takes a couple of hours tops. Not too far to be boring or too time consuming.

I feel Orbx needs to identify areas of interest to the punters and concentrate on those. This is not to say they should abandon the development of interesting Global airports, but casual flight simmers (those who could swell interest in the hobby) are most interested in take off and landing . Having an area or preferably areas where there is plenty of opportunity to do both at realistic airports can only be good for Orbx and the hobby.

My plan is to fly to and land at all the airports and airstrips in the Orbx regions. Unfortunately, with every new region they release the further I fall behind. :)

Doing this means that some flights are only a few minutes long in some areas. The advantage of that is the amount of landing practice you get. And I can tell you that going to every little strip can throw up some very challenging landings. Another advantage is that you cover most of the fantastic scenery and get a great idea of the geography. 

So my suggestion is not to wait for more airports to be developed, just go and explore your favorite region. You will be surprised at what you find. 

Exactly Roger.  Some of the guys on here at times post valuable small airports/field names and it's great.  With the help of GE it's really fun tracking them down and using them.  Innsbruck is a classic, for this.  It really sharpens up your flying ability and using the eyes to find valuable info that Terra Firma may give you.

Nothing better than getting into a GA craft and tracking down these fields.  

Jim.

Archived