NA Freeware Airports vs. Non-Orbx Payware Airports

Greetings, my first post here. I just purchased FTX Global for FSX, looks GREAT BTW! I'm not sure but I may have had the wrong intention with the installation of the NA Freeware Airports. What I did was I crosschecked all my Canadian and U.S. payware airports to the Freeware list and those airports that matched, I uninstalled, before I installed the Orbx Freeware Airports. My intention was to reinstall my payware airports I had previously removed, but I am not sure if that will work. Would I then have two versions of the same airport now? Or, can I simply reinstall my airports over top of the Freeware Airports. Is there anyway to uninstall the freeware individually, so I can replace them with the payware airports. Unfortunately, I suspect I would either have to deactivate or completely uninstall the freeware pack in order to reinstall my payware airports.

Regards

Hello,

welcome to the forums.

The freeware airports can all be individually removed by simply searching the 

ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS\Scenery folder for the ICAO code

of the airport in question.

Typically, there will be three files,

ADE_FTX_FTXG_ICAO.bgl

ADE_FTX_FTXG_ICAO_CVX.bgl

FTX_FTXG_ICAO_objects.bgl

You can rename them to .off or you can move them out of the scenery folder or you

can delete them.

My preferred method is to create a new folder in the scenery folder and name it OFF.

Once the bgl files are placed into it, they are still available to me but the simulator cannot see them.

For future reference, you had no need to uninstall any of your existing payware airports first.

Sorry to bother again, when I was going through the files I also noticed these similar files, "ADEX" as opposed to "ADX" (ADEX_FTX_FTXG_ICAO.bgl, ADEX_FTX_FTXG_ICAO_CVX.bgl). Should I remove these files as well? Also since I have Aerosoft aspen installed I removed these "KASE ADEP" conventions:

FTX_FTXG_KASE_ADEP2.bgl

FTX_FTXG_KASE_ADEP2_CVX.bgl

FTX_FTXG_KASE_ADEP2_GP.bgl

FTX_FTXG_KASE_objects.bgl

Just a bit confused.

Regards

Tom

22 hours ago, canadagoose said:

Sorry to bother again, when I was going through the files I also noticed these similar files, "ADEX" as opposed to "ADX" (ADEX_FTX_FTXG_ICAO.bgl, ADEX_FTX_FTXG_ICAO_CVX.bgl).

Check the date on the files. Keep the newest.(usually the ADEX file). Make sure they are duplicates as there are a number of early files that used the ADEX prefix. I found 3 airports CYMJ, CYYQ both of which you can delete either one. and one CYXJ where you should keep the ADEX CVX file as it is newer and delete the other CVX file. I will try to get these fixed but having duplicates doesn't seem to affect operation at all.

Larry

Tom,

Into the file name, ADE means the software used to process the airport, namely Airport Design Editor.

The following letters or numerals do specify the simulator version SDK compiler used for the airport, understand for which sim version the airport was compiled.

If I am not confusing,

ADE = FS9

ADEX = FSX

ADEP2 = P3D v2

ADEP3 = P3D v3

ADEP4 = P3D v4

FSX has gone from my machine since a while, but I assume FSX knows how to handle both ADE or ADEX, the second one being the usual one for FSX. However, you may try also ADEP2 files, and check whether the airport displays correctly.

At my side (P3D v4 and ADEP4 here), I sometimes have to recompile some older 3rd party ADExx files to have taxiways displaying correctly into my P3D, but that's all.

Blue skies

The designations are file names only and are set by the developer. Although some of my early airports use the ADEX designation, we are now using ADE for consistency. The files are compiled in FSX but are compiled so they can be used in P3D and  separate Scenery Libraries are used for P3D. Some of the older files done before P3D may still have taxiway problems but we fix them as they are identified.

Larry

Larry,

Sorry if I did write something wrong...

When posting, I was talking about the extension file name generated automatically by ADE, not a particular renaming method...  My fault :-(

Needing a neurons update here ;-)

Philippe

Archived