Tutorial: Flight from Sydney to Vancouver

Richard McDonald Woods

I am pleased to announce a rather different approach to flight simulation videos.

A 6-part B777-300ER tutorial demonstrating a long-haul flight across the Pacific from YSSY to CYVR using FTX AU and NA.

The tutorial is intended to educate, entertain and to provoke informed discussions on this forum by covering flight planning, flight preparation, departure, en route and arrival procedures. It includes planning for and execution of ETOPS and re-dispatch procedures.

I decided to make the captain the centre of all views. So, no views that a real-world captain cannot see.

The tutorial element is supported by voice interactions with both the crew and air traffic control and extensive helpful texts. You can also view the flight plan.

A full list of hardware and software used in the making of the tutorial is included at the end.

Please contribute your comments as posts to this forum.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the appreciation. It is great to hear from an experienced simmer.

It has been a long process. Without any previous video creation experience, we managed to get to publication after 5 months of long hours.

I was the creator of the video segments and a friend provided the editing expertise. We cooperated on defining the audio and textual additions.

It would be greatly appreciated if you would find the time to gradually view all parts of the tutorial and to post your thoughts. This will help others as well.

Good to hear from you,

Regards, Richard

• 1 month later...

Hi Sam,

Many apologies for not replying to your post. Your item must have been pushed down by others and drop from my view.

I am glad that making the video has improved my flight planning techniques greatly. I hope that you will continue to improve your techniques as well.

The video took us nearly 6 months to produce. Apart from being amateurs at developing a storyboard, we had to make and remake each scene many times and then had to synchronise the voice and text clips onto the vision. This is not something that I shall be in a hurry to repeat.

I have now returned to flying regularly. Just ending a tour of north and south American airfields. On my return to Heathrow, I shall start across Asia and down to YSSY and YMML again. Hopefully, we shall have a new NZAA very soon, as well, although I hold little chance of a new YPPH anytime soon!

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Kind regards, Richard

Archived