Lost menu bar in FSX

Ken Q

When I open a flight in FSX the menu bar at the top is not available.  I can press <ALT> indefinitely, and nothing happens.  I've tried right clicking on the screen, too; nothing.  The only thing that does appear is a space where the Menu Bar should be when I have AS 16 open.  The line in green advising to open a flight plan will move down a tad when <ALT> is pressed, and move back up when <ALT> is held for a few seconds.  This happens in both full screen and windowed mode.  This seems to happen after a windows update. I have solved this by going to "System Restore" and restoring the computer to a point when the menu was available, but that of course eliminates the updates and any other software that was installed after that point.  Anyone else have this problem?  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks very much.

Ken

Hello,

this sounds like a symptom of the latest Windows 10 update to version 1709.

Microsoft have apparently admitted that they have made a mistake, there will

always be a first time for everything and have promised to fix it.

A better solution is theirs, roll back to the previous version, 1703.

Of course, if you don't have Windows 10, please disregard.

Just a thought for you, a short signature with the basic specs of your PC, the OS and the simulator version

that you use would be useful.

Thanks.

Thanks, Nick, and sorry. 

System is a HP with Intel Pentium CPU G640 2.8 GHz, 8 GB Ram, 64 bit.

Windows 7, svc pk 1.

FSX with acceleration.

Hope that helps.

Thanks again

Ken

Thanks, Nick.

I tried that (I think), but no help.  Not completely sure which .cfg file I'm looking for though.  I did find a sort of work around though; not really satisfactory, but I can at least still set up a flight.  It might reappear as mysteriously as it disappeared, though.  That has happened in the past.

Ken

I too run FXS and after the update have less trouble with the menu bar than you. Just confirming that another person has menu bar problems, however mine is :

Normally there is a thin white line at the top to indicate that there is a drop down menu but this now missing. Pressing alt does drop the menu down, but it wont go back up no matter how many times you press the alt key.

The biggest problem is that the update trashed my Nvidia driver and all I got was coloured and black small dashes on the screen. Had to reinstall the manufactures (Nvidia) driver to get the display back the way it was.

Archived