Moving to V4. 1 Can I uninstall V3 without messing up my ORBX products?

fabs79

Hi, 

I moved to Prepar3d V4 a while ago and kept my V3 installation on my hard drive because I wasn't sure if everything would work out as I planned. But after some time with V4 I'm positive I'll never be going back to V3. So I wanted to uninstall V3 within the next few days. But then I noticed that when I install an ORBX airport into V4 that I already have in V3 the process is much faster than when I download a completely new one. That made me think that maybe some files are shared between the two versions? If I uninstall V3, will it corrupt my V4 ORBX folder? 

Thanks, 

Fabian 

Hello fabs,

Uninstalling v3 should have no effect on v4. As you have observed when installing to v4, scenery that is already installed in v3, FTXCentral copies the files over where possible which brings downloading to a minimum.

New scenery installed to v4 will all be downloaded.

Smudger.

Well, would say that your need to keep v3 only until you have reinstalled under v4 what you had under v3. As already said, FTX Central will copy from old version to new version what it needs, and only download the different stuff between the two versions. Do not forget that v4 is a 64bits software, whereas v3 is a 32bits software, and that ORBX scenery becomes available for P3Dv4 only when it is fully compatible, understand various files coding redone in 64bits mode. For various 3rd party gauges, dll and exe files, you have to wait for release by authors of 64bits new versions (by the way, the Doug Dawson sound gauge is already available in x64 version since some months now).

Once you have all your former stuff active in v4, you can uninstall v3, these are two fully separate softwares and folders/files sets.

Blue skies

16 hours ago, PhilK said:

Well, would say that your need to keep v3 only until you have reinstalled under v4 what you had under v3. As already said, FTX Central will copy from old version to new version what it needs, and only download the different stuff between the two versions. Do not forget that v4 is a 64bits software, whereas v3 is a 32bits software, and that ORBX scenery becomes available for P3Dv4 only when it is fully compatible, understand various files coding redone in 64bits mode. For various 3rd party gauges, dll and exe files, you have to wait for release by authors of 64bits new versions (by the way, the Doug Dawson sound gauge is already available in x64 version since some months now).

Once you have all your former stuff active in v4, you can uninstall v3, these are two fully separate softwares and folders/files sets.

Blue skies

I am not for sure, but I do not think this is need anymore.  With the backup function available, I do not see the need.  Central is going to pick and choose which pieces of a product is needed to be inserted.

I recently had to replace my game disk and had no issues with Central quickly loading each scenery.

Archived