Running an Air Taxi Company

Mithras

I love flying air taxi twins, and I wanted really. to give myself a base and an air taxi business to 'operate', not through a VA, but unofficially simply as a reason to fly, to fly with purpose. I've watched plenty of documentaries, like Flying Wild Alaska, Ice Pilots and a few others, but I'm puzzled about where to set up, somewhere I won't get bored. How should I create my 'routes', is there any way I can randomize passengers loads or cargoes to reflect my location? I could create randomized tables I suppose. I'm not interested in the finances, just the flying. Has anybody tried this before, and really stuck with a plane, a base and a network of routes or charter destinations in a defined region? 

The advantages I think are getting to know those airfields and airports intimately, and to see them at all times of the day and night and in all kinds of weather and in all four seasons. Some method of pressure would be nice too, darkness falling, deadlines, limited fuel availability, etc....

I have the skills to write the mechanics for all this as a pen and paper and dice system (I have an online roleplaying game publishing business called Zozer Games) but I'm not too familiar with the parameters of an air taxi firm. How they get their business, how many flights per day, how often they return to base, where they fuel up, is it point to point flying, or running a circuit...

Any advice you have on trying to emulate the life of an air taxi pilot would be useful!! 

1 hour ago, Mithras said:

I love flying air taxi twins, and I wanted really. to give myself a base and an air taxi business to 'operate', not through a VA, but unofficially simply as a reason to fly, to fly with purpose. I've watched plenty of documentaries, like Flying Wild Alaska, Ice Pilots and a few others, but I'm puzzled about where to set up, somewhere I won't get bored. How should I create my 'routes', is there any way I can randomize passengers loads or cargoes to reflect my location? I could create randomized tables I suppose. I'm not interested in the finances, just the flying. Has anybody tried this before, and really stuck with a plane, a base and a network of routes or charter destinations in a defined region? 

The advantages I think are getting to know those airfields and airports intimately, and to see them at all times of the day and night and in all kinds of weather and in all four seasons. Some method of pressure would be nice too, darkness falling, deadlines, limited fuel availability, etc....

I have the skills to write the mechanics for all this as a pen and paper and dice system (I have an online roleplaying game publishing business called Zozer Games) but I'm not too familiar with the parameters of an air taxi firm. How they get their business, how many flights per day, how often they return to base, where they fuel up, is it point to point flying, or running a circuit...

Any advice you have on trying to emulate the life of an air taxi pilot would be useful!! 

Mithras

In my experience most Part 135 operations were located at regional size airports and typically flew folks to destinations not served by carriers, people who needed to get there NOW, and to popular vacation spots. There was no definitive absolute profile some affluent people just wanted their own air taxi flight. Most were coupled with flight school operations. I flew out of KBGR and KBTV. 

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

OK. I've created something myself. I tried Cargo Pilot, but it kept sending me hundreds of miles away from my preferred area, I have fsPassengers and I read all the reviews of Air Hauler2. I don't want to manage a company, mess with paychecks, fuel prices or be forced to fly to keep the business running. What I want is a dispatcher telling me where my next flight will be to, and if I have to divert after that to drop off or pick up more passengers. 

Luckily I write roleplaying games for a living and so with a pack of cards and a notebook, managed to create the 13 page PDF entitled FLIGHT SIM AIR TAXI - Pen and Paper Rules. I've uploaded it to the AVSIM Library under Misc (unsure of posting off site links here).

fs-airtaxi-cover_zpsviwfnuib.png

That's one of the things I liked (still like) about Airliner Pilot for FS2004.  It just gives you new flights to fly and absolves you of the need to mess with all the boring behind-the-scenes business crappola.  I just wish they had come out with an upgrade for FSX. So, alas, I don't fly it anymore.

On ‎1‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 10:50 AM, Mithras said:

OK. I've created something myself. I tried Cargo Pilot, but it kept sending me hundreds of miles away from my preferred area, I have fsPassengers and I read all the reviews of Air Hauler2. I don't want to manage a company, mess with paychecks, fuel prices or be forced to fly to keep the business running. What I want is a dispatcher telling me where my next flight will be to, and if I have to divert after that to drop off or pick up more passengers. 

Luckily I write roleplaying games for a living and so with a pack of cards and a notebook, managed to create the 13 page PDF entitled FLIGHT SIM AIR TAXI - Pen and Paper Rules. I've uploaded it to the AVSIM Library under Misc (unsure of posting off site links here).

fs-airtaxi-cover_zpsviwfnuib.png

I downloaded this and it looks really interesting. I have not done anything but read that idea and I have to say: Thank you very much! This can be cool!!

Archived