Orbx FTX

TimothyWF

5913609246eb6

I have used the above FSX since purchase without trouble over three tower computers until the Windows 10 Anniversary download last year. After that it got a bit tetchy but with some Orbx scenery which I started purchasing, quite usable. The latest big update download from Microsoft killed off my SSD drive and I have had a new one installed which means re-installing all my Flight Simulator files. After downloading FSX from its original disc I have downloaded/reinstalled the Global base and FTX EU England as a starter as I assumed all would follow well. Wrong.  I decided to re download the Microsoft Flight Simulator Services Pack 1 and 2.

The Simulator will run with correct scenery outside the Orbx coverage. The Orbx scenery is as shown in the accompanying screen shots.   I would like advice on what to do please.

FSX for Orbx. Soton 27.8.2017.jpg

Liverpool Airport.jpg

Orbx vertical shot Liverpool 5.11.2017.Spp

Hello Nick, Yes I have installed England only as a regional library. I have Scotland and Wales to install. I wanted to see if Orbx would work before I installed the other two.

I have attached a shot of my  scenery library. I notice that the box empty cache on exit  is ticked. That wouldn't be the problem would it ? (I have never amended it )

Ortbx  as jpeg Nick Cooper  8 Nov 2017.jpg

Hello,

you will need both service packs installed if your FSX version does not include Acceleration.

Your scenery library is in the right order.

The scenery cache is left over from the days when people used to load scenery directly into FSX

from a DVD and has long ago become redundant,

For your problem with the textures, try deleting the FSX shaders.

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders and

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10.

FSX will rebuild the folders when you restart.

11/11/2017.

Thank you for your advice. This is way beyond my computer knowledge and comfort zone.

I have found the Shaders folder from your C drive instructions on my computer but this is the result:  I have five folders in Shaders, 

Common, Fixed Functions, General, Misc. and Terrain.  Terrain, which I thought I should head to is a  folder with about thirty files in it.

I have not tried for Shaders10.

5 hours ago, TimothyWF said:

11/11/2017.

Thank you for your advice. This is way beyond my computer knowledge and comfort zone.

I have found the Shaders folder from your C drive instructions on my computer but this is the result:  I have five folders in Shaders, 

Common, Fixed Functions, General, Misc. and Terrain.  Terrain, which I thought I should head to is a  folder with about thirty files in it.

I have not tried for Shaders10.

Hello,

the Shaders folder you refer to here is not the one referenced in my reply.

The one you have found is neither in the same place, nor does it have the same name.

Its path is: your simulator folder\ShadersHLSL.

Please do not touch this folder at all or you will damage your simulator installation.

Unfortunately, there is no automated way to delete the correct shaders folders but if you

read my post carefully again and look at the picture that Doug has kindly posted, you should 

find them.

If you cannot see the folders, in your Windows File Explorer view settings, select

"show hidden files, folders and drives".

Here is another image to help you.

Untitled.jpg

EDIT I will leave my caution in place, though I now realise that you have found the correct folders.

You can delete 

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders and

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10.

FSX will rebuild the folders when you restart.

1 hour ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi Timothy

It is quite a bit easier than imagined. I have attached an image below, yours may be called "Shaders" not Shaders10", so just right click on that folder (don't worry about whats in it) and select "delete".

FSXShaders.png

Cheers

Doug

Hello Nick, Doug,

Sorry for hijacking this threat, but are you sure that these Shaders and Shaders10 folders can be removed without problems ?. 

I also do have these folders in my FSX (SP 1+2) system. The contents seem to have dates from my FSX installation.

Would you be so kind to explain what the purpose of these maps and their contents are?

Thanks in advance,

Regards Fred

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.  Just to let you know that I am still trying to get to grips with this issue.  Getting reasonably confident now as I am still trying to find Shaders 10. What has totally thrown me today is that going to Shaders folder as in C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders all the five other folders are there and files not deleted !!   Surely they cannot repopulate, so I guess I have made a mess of it.  Cannot find a Shaders 10 though- I don't think it is there.

Yes Nick, I have both service packs and I have deleted the shaders folder twice. Just checked again and the five folders have many repopulated files in them-again. I have checked actually flying again and reflown over an area I know and it may be my imagination but I got the impression that the terrain was slightly different insofar as it wasn't so black but the colour green was missing.  Am I confused !  I was thinking I could delete the Shaders files and try flying immediately afterwards and see what happens.

Continuing trying to get this sorted out- I have tried FSX in the USA and it seems to work OK. This is an area where I don't have any ORBX products which suggests to me that the problem is with my ORBX downloads..  Making use of the Orbx main settings I have sent a diagnostic report of my computer set up to Orbx and received back the following :  

ORBX Generating report at 01/12/2017

otb150386a3c32c69be9b3e99b58dd1dbc.

Archived