Fall leaves in the openLC South America jungle?

Tailspin45

Enroute to the Panama Canal from Oakland via Cabo San Lucas and Guatemala City, down low in the fabulous Jahn/Visser C-47 V3.

In southern Mexico and even as far south a Nicaragua I keep seeing deciduous trees with leaves that have turned yellow or gold.

Am I doing something wrong—did I install the open LC South America package incorrectly?

I grew up down that way and even in the mountains don't remember leaves changing in the fall. In fact, I remember my Mom lamenting how she missed it.

Here's a shot near Managua, Nicaragua, as an example. There are few places in the world that are more tropical

2017-10-21_12-23-1-654.jpg

Thanks, Nick. Looks like a solution to the canal locks problem, alright.

But why is the water the bright tropical coral blue? I can change those textures, of course, but not their assignment as tropical...or can I? Is there a way that I can make it inland water?

Also, I thought the dirt in the canal issue might be related to the fall colors, but obviously not. Any idea what's up with that? I suppose I could change the date to mid summer, but....

Thanks, Nick. Looks like a solution to the canal locks problem, alright. The add-on is great, and setting the date to mid-summer removed all the fall colors.

2017-10-27_13-10-55-105.jpg.7c19c51bc3c6a2ec4fb3b0582a9c7721.jpg

I just wish the water wasn't tropical coral colored. I know I can change the textures, but is there a way to change the underlying openLC South America water definition to make it inland water instead of tropical?

2 hours ago, Tailspin45 said:

Thanks, Nick. Looks like a solution to the canal locks problem, alright. The add-on is great, and setting the date to mid-summer removed all the fall colors.

Wouldn't this mean the seasonal variation in Central America is too big? I'm not that familiar with the area in real life, so I'm not sure.

Hi guys,

openLC products don't change the seasons control file nor do they change the waterclass (type and color) placement file meaning the default global season control and waterclass placement files remain active. Only FTX Regions include custom seasons control files and waterclass textures and placements.

Also, no option exists to assign different water types or colors to specific water polygons; water is water and thus there is only one underlying waterclass file, with the 1.2km by 1.2km grid resolution, just like raster landclass files. It would be nice to be able to add such classification tags to water polygons but the current FSX/P3D terrain code doesn't allow for this.

Cheers, Holger

Archived