FTX AU

Jon Clarke

Did I read somewhere that there may be a new FTX AU down the line sometime?

It currently doesn't have a Control panel with options to turn some aspects on or off, like Lights for example. I also notice that should one disable the FTX lights it adds at least 2 minutes to the sim loading time. Any reason for that?

Hi there,

yes, initial work on a new version of FTX AU is under way; no time frame or feature set has been announced yet though.

Not sure what you mean by "disabling FTX Lights" but I've heard that on the Black Marble forum there's a "recommendation" to manually deactivate certain Orbx light object .bgl files. As I have repeatedly pointed out to Chris Bell that is a very bad idea. Obviously, if one removes the light object files but the placement files for those lights remain active then the sim goes into an iterative search loop for the deactivated object files, leading to increased load times and, likely, stutters during flights. See https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/520308-autogen-folder-causing-major-long-load-delay-on-auto-generated-scenery/?do=findComment&comment=3716026

What specific lights are you trying to deactivate?

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger. Thanks for the reply and info regarding the effect lights OFF has on the sim. I was not particularly looking at disabling Orbx lights but used it as an example of the options that exist in the Control Panel of other FTX Regions. As you may be aware, I do use BM and only noticed this anomaly when in FTX AU as I get light splash textures appearing. Obviously FTX AU was the first Region and as such has a very different file structure to all the subsequent FTX Regions, having been "bundled" into one from previously being separate packages of Red, Blue, Green etc.

I have not taken the "recommendation" of manually deactivating the Lights as I am aware of the consequences and do not wish to mess with the FTX internals. Hopefully the new rendition of AU will be available with a control panel that offers the option regarding enabling/disabling FTX New Lighting which currently exists in the newer FTX Regions CPs.

Archived