The "UIVER" team release the Douglas DC2 for FSX

This is a complete rework as a TRUE native FSX product, with improved 3D modelling, complete new textures, mapping, bumpmaps, specular maps, FSX animations, new gauge programming etc.

The revenue from the sales will be donated to the Aviodrome, Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum

The Aviodrome has one of the worlds last two airworthy Douglas DC-2's in their collection.

The real plane is maintained by volunteers and with the money raised from individual and corporate donations.

By selling the DC-2 package we hope to contribute to keeping this unique, priceless and historic aircraft in flying condition.

For complete information on the features of this package and a link to download the Douglas DC2 for FSX please visit the DC2 UIVER site

The "UIVER" Team hopes you will enjoy flying this unique, hands-on classic airplane!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i guess the dc3 ( a great favourite of mine) is the next variant of the dc2. anyone know what the differences are? this sounds like a must have, and a great cause too. also, what is the file size, and is resume supported? i've used up all my internet speed for the month already and have been throttled to 64k!!!! ::)

Hi Wolter

I know its just me but even taxiing to the runway with mixture rich ,prop pitch up and a fairly low idle (just enough to get her moving) I was overheating the oil before I got to the runway. I have to be doing something wrong but never mind shes an awesome craft. DC2s and 3s have allways been on the top of my list.

Work well done and definitely worth the price.

Ken  :)

Hi Wolter

I know its just me but even taxiing to the runway with mixture rich ,prop pitch up and a fairly low idle (just enough to get her moving) I was overheating the oil before I got to the runway. I have to be doing something wrong but never mind shes an awesome craft. DC2s and 3s have allways been on the top of my list.

Work well done and definitely worth the price.

Ken  :)

Do you have your cowl flaps open mate?

Guest Aussieman

Do you have your cowl flaps open mate?

Archie, this lady does not have cowl flaps. Can attest to this as I was on the Beta team and this question came up several times during testing.

Cheers

Pat

Wait - Hot Engine

Carburetor or engine is flooded, ie. due to use of too much primer. Wait until message isn't displayed anymore (can take about one minute), or engine has

cooled down (oil temperature < 37°C).

Alan2

Yep that might be it. I have found that the engines were failing to start and had to reset the failures in the options 2 or 3 times just to get them started and now I have just found that the right brake had also failed..... Will have to see if these failures can be tuned down a bit. The plane has been set to realistic in main FSX options but cant see anywhere where I can tune the amount of failures within the DC2 set..  This is allways the best... and most frustrating part about getting a new plane. Your correct about the cowl flaps...there isn't any. The oil temp may of been going up so fast because of the brake failure maybe? I tried not to use the primer too much ..oh well back for another try. Oh by the way I havnt seen a message for the engine being flooded as yet.

Ken  :D

Guest Aussieman

Do not run the engines full throttle ;D

this one has to be flown by the book ;)

Like Wolter said. This is one aircraft where you have to RTFM.

During testing we were flying blind a lot of the time and did not have any form of manual until about Beta version 6 so it was learn as you go. Was a lot of fun doing so and thank goodness I was not paying for those engines.

Also not known for its gliding ability either.

Cheers

Pat

Looks good.

Despite havig more than enough payware aircraft to switch between and having been laid off work for a couple of weeks (not by choice) wiht no pay I think there's a high chance I'll get this. I seemed to have developed a bit of liking for aircraft in FSX that require a bit of attention to fly as it were. I hope it raises planty of funding for the good cause.  :)

Hi

A funny thing happened on the way to the store tonight......

I had a problem with FSX and made a new FSX.cfg, hello momma most of the problems with the DC2 have gone away. I still have a bit of a problem starting the engines but she flies like a beauty. I must admit I did crash and burn again tonight in Vatsimvfr (if you havnt tried this then you have never had ice cream) but that was my fault in trying to push her a bit too hard. All I can say is AWSOME....

Ken  ;D ;D ;D

Well I gave in very quickly and got the DC2 the other day, mixed feeling about it but overall very good for the money - certainly don't regret having got it.

I do have a couple issues with it, but rather than join yet another forum I hope you don't mind if I raise them here....

• I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but as soon as I extend the flaps to position 1 as I begin to slow for landing I fin I loose all hydralic pressure and am unable to lower the landing gear or extend the flaps further. I can lower teh gear first but then again as soon as I have set flaps to 1 I loose all hydralic pressure and also can't seem to use the manual pump to any effect? Am I doing something wrong?
  • Is there any way so taxi/steer on the ground without using differential braking I'm finding it very difficult to taxi when I only have a twisting action on my joystick for rudder/differential braking and a digital button for the brakes. I just end up constantly swerving all the way to teh runway?

Hi,

• I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but as soon as I extend the flaps to position 1 as I begin to slow for landing I fin I loose all hydralic pressure and am unable to lower the landing gear or extend the flaps further. I can lower teh gear first but then again as soon as I have set flaps to 1 I loose all hydralic pressure and also can't seem to use the manual pump to any effect? Am I doing something wrong?

if you lower the flaps above 87 Kias you will damage the hydraulic system. In that case you can use the hydraulic hand pump to build up the hydraulic pressure again. But of course it's better to not damage the system ;)

• Is there any way so taxi/steer on the ground without using differential braking I'm finding it very difficult to taxi when I only have a twisting action on my joystick for rudder/differential braking and a digital button for the brakes. I just end up constantly swerving all the way to teh runway?

Yes, that's possible. Open the Aircraft.cfg and look for the [contact_points] section. Now just change the following line:

point.0 = 1, -32.763, 0, -1.40, 2974, 0, 0.8, 180, 0.3, 0.4, 0.9, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0//point.0 = 1, -32.763, 0, -1.4, 2974, 0, 0.8, 90, 0.3, 0.9, 0.8, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 //changes to stearable TW.

to:

//point.0 = 1, -32.763, 0, -1.40, 2974, 0, 0.8, 180, 0.3, 0.4, 0.9, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0point.0 = 1, -32.763, 0, -1.4, 2974, 0, 0.8, 90, 0.3, 0.9, 0.8, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 //changes to stearable TW.

That's it :)

Greetings

Tim

if you lower the flaps above 87 Kias you will damage the hydraulic system. In that case you can use the hydraulic hand pump to build up the hydraulic pressure again. But of course it's better to not damage the system ;)

Ah-ha! I thought it must be something I was doing lol! Weird thing is thogh I could not seem to get teh pressure back up with the hand pump or for that matter find out to ope/close the valve without using the  Shift-2 combination and doing it from the pop-up window. Not a big deal though.

Anyway, thanks for the pointers, I have changed the config re; tail wheel and will give it a try next time.  ;D

I was not sure on this plane to start with but it growing on me, it certainly needs a lot of looking after. I could have sworn I read somewhere that it modelled engine fires, but I don't recall having seen any flames - or did I dream that bit?  :-\

Hi Wolter, I love this aircraft and would love to buy it, but both downloads using firefox were blocked by nod even when I ignored it it still prevented me from completing the download, I'll try the other computer it also has nod but who knows.

thanks for the reply.

cheers

Ken

Hi,

There is no virus in there.

It's the protection from the flight1 wrapper that can cause that.

Flight1 doesn't have it on the site yet (e-mail trouble on my side)

Download links are also on our support forum.

Cheers, Rob

Thanks UF for this link. She’s a nice looking bird.

"Uiver" of course is the Dutch dialect name of the Ooievaar or stork. This is the bird that delivered Dutch parents their babies in the late forties, early fifties in a sheet wrapped round their beak. Well so my parents told me. No wonder I’m interested in flight simulation.!!(LOL)

i guess the dc3 ( a great favourite of mine) is the next variant of the dc2. anyone know what the differences are? this sounds like a must have, and a great cause too. also, what is the file size, and is resume supported? i've used up all my internet speed for the month already and have been throttled to 64k!!!!

so..... can anyone answer my questions? i'm desperate for the aircraft, but i don't want to start then have the d/l collapse (due to my 64k connection till the 25th) and not be able to resume. if the file is to big and no resume, then i suppose i'll just have to wait for the next 11 days........ :)

Well, looking at the application size..75,5 mb .

I guess it stands to reason the DC3 came after the DC2  ;)

Cant remember if its resume supported.

As far as the difference goes between the 2 and the 3 not sure, in the sense that I don't have the MAAM DC3 , only default. The difference between those two is a country mile. Wait your 11 days and enjoy you new found love. This bird is special and,as you say, a good cause      :)     

Ah, well, the difference between the DC2 and the DC3.

There are many differences, and may similarities.

TWA asked Douglas to design a plane that could compete with the Boeing 247.

Douglas came up with the DC1 prototype, a radical new design in that time. All metal, monocock design, self supporting wings. It could take 12 passengers.

The DC2 was the commercial follow up, built to accomodate 14 passengers. A comfortable passneger plane, breaking numerous records.

It had vertical cabin walls, and the 2 landing lights were located in the nose. The center section of the wing held the fueltanks.

The vertical stabiliser proved to be a weak point in the design, and was improved over time, untill it had the same design as the later DC3.

Passenger flight was expanding in those days, and the DC3 was born, able to take 21 passengers. The cabin was round, no vertical walls anymore.

It was designed on the same wing center section as the DC2, but with a bigger wingspan and stronger engines.

Also the engine controlls were improved, and standardised to the setup that is still used today.

The FS version is modelled after the version in the Aviodrom Museum, with modern avionics, but the package also features an old style cockpit.

I feel it is a different plane than the DC3, bit smaller, slim, faster. Without the DC2 there would be no DC3, and the DC3 could not become one of the most well known and succesfull aeroplanes in the world.

The download supports resume, I hope you will be able to enjoy the plane soon.

Cheers, Rob Cappers

PS, a livery set is avalable HERE

Posted Image

Archived