Locking TML to 4096?

Blitzer

I don't know if it's supposed to happen but whenever I go back into FTX Aero and check the "Lock My TML setting at" it's always reverted back to 1024 and not 4096 as I set it - is this supposed to happen, does not appear to be correct to me as when I check FSX.cfg that also seems to get changed back to 1024?  ???

Yeah, for some unknown reason FSX always resets the Max Texture to 1024 every time you change something in the graphics options. The Texture Max Load tool that Pete recommends keeps tabs on that setting and changes it back to the value you defined.

You can get it here: http://www.frostysoftware.com/Downloads/Utilities/Utilities.php

Hey guys,

I've come up with a "she'll be right" fix to overcome the Texture Max Load (TML) reversion to 1024.

The best solution I've come up with is to make a script, that saves doing a manual edit of the aircraft.cfg file to change the line:

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

to

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

before each load of FSX..

To make this script yourself, do the following:

1. Open a new notepad file

2. Paste the following text into it ( make sure that the path to the fsx.cfg file is correct for your setup - mine is highlighted in red. Then make sure that the path to the fsx.exe file is correct for your setup - mine is highlighted in green)

Const ForReading = 1

Const ForWriting = 2

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile("C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg", ForReading)

strText = objFile.ReadAll

objFile.Close

strNewText = Replace(strText, "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024", "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096")

Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile("C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg", ForWriting)

objFile.WriteLine strNewText

objFile.Close

set objShell=CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

objShell.exec("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe")

3. Save the file as "Run FSX 4096.vbs" (or anything else you like.vbs)

4. Place this .vbs file somewhere convenient, like the desktop, or in the FSX root directory with a desktop shortcut using the FSX icon.

5. Click on the .vbs file and it will automatically change the fsx.cfg file and run FSX for you.

I'm no programmer (clearly) , and this is just stuff I found online mashed together and then applied to FSX, so no warranty applies.  ;D

Ive had it running for about 10 months now. It hasn't broken anything for me, and fixed the issue, but YMMV.

If anyone has any comments, or suggested improvements, please post.

Cheers, Steve.

Guys, we have a payware app in beta testing right now, called 'Orbx FSX Launcher'.  It will allow you to define TML plus a whole bunch of other tweaks for each launch, plus also call up saved flights with different settings to suit your scenarios.

We hope to release this soon!

post-1-130204060814_thumb.jpg

Guys, we have a payware app in beta testing right now, called 'Orbx FSX Launcher'.  It will allow you to define TML plus a whole bunch of other tweaks for each launch, plus also call up saved flights with different settings to suit your scenarios.

JV, very cool! You guys just keep on rockin'  8)

Hey guys,

I've come up with a "she'll be right" fix to overcome the Texture Max Load (TML) reversion to 1024.

The best solution I've come up with is to make a script, that saves doing a manual edit of the aircraft.cfg file to change the line:

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

to

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

before each load of FSX..

To make this script yourself, do the following:

1. Open a new notepad file

2. Paste the following text into it ( make sure that the path to the fsx.cfg file is correct for your setup - mine is highlighted in red. Then make sure that the path to the fsx.exe file is correct for your setup - mine is highlighted in green)

Const ForReading = 1

Const ForWriting = 2

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile("C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg", ForReading)

strText = objFile.ReadAll

objFile.Close

strNewText = Replace(strText, "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024", "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096")

Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile("C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg", ForWriting)

objFile.WriteLine strNewText

objFile.Close

set objShell=CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

objShell.exec("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe")

3. Save the file as "Run FSX 4096.vbs" (or anything else you like.vbs)

4. Place this .vbs file somewhere convenient, like the desktop, or in the FSX root directory with a desktop shortcut using the FSX icon.

5. Click on the .vbs file and it will automatically change the fsx.cfg file and run FSX for you.

I'm no programmer (clearly) , and this is just stuff I found online mashed together and then applied to FSX, so no warranty applies.  ;D

Ive had it running for about 10 months now. It hasn't broken anything for me, and fixed the issue, but YMMV.

If anyone has any comments, or suggested improvements, please post.

Cheers, Steve.

If you have the SplashScreen Package from OZx just change the fsx.exe to SplashRandomizer.exe in the notepad vbs file and it will change the load screen, for Vista/Windows 7 users if u have the Flight Simulator X icon from Games on the desktop just right click and customize the settings so it loads the .vbs file (the Icon on the App wont change btw)

• 1 year later...

Guys, we have a payware app in beta testing right now, called 'Orbx FSX Launcher'. It will allow you to define TML plus a whole bunch of other tweaks for each launch, plus also call up saved flights with different settings to suit your scenarios.

Hi John,

I was just reading through other posts about the TML not locking in at the desired setting in AERO (ie: reverting to 1024) and in FSX.cfg.

My TML is usually set at 4096 but always reverts whenever changes are made in FSX Scenery detail.

Cant wait for this addition to arrive, I think I'm becoming a little OCD, constantly checking Aero and fsx.cfg to see if my setings have reverted.

And once again ORBX are on top of this issue, and to our great delight a few extra goodies as well, can I beta test this tool.

Thankyou JV and the rest of the team.

Cheers Jethro

Jethro and Jon,

This application has been available for some time (check the dates of the posts above yours). I use it with every launch of FSX to set my desired scenery density and LOD_radius among other things for the type of flying or testing I am doing.

Be aware that it will not retain your TML setting if you change anything within the FSX Display Options pages after you start. As far as I know, nothing available will prevent that.

It's a steal for $5: http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=92&products_id=1139

Jethro and Jon,

This application has been available for some time (check the dates of the posts above yours). I use it with every launch of FSX to set my desired scenery density and LOD_radius among other things for the type of flying or testing I am doing.

Be aware that it will not retain your TML setting if you change anything within the FSX Display Options pages after you start. As far as I know, nothing available will prevent that.

It's a steal for $5: http://www.flightsim...roducts_id=1139

And a big Hello to you guys - Phil & Patrick,

I say with all humility, I got excited and a bit premature,

I do appreciate your replies sincerely, "My very very bad" I should have looked at the Post "date" and realised that the tool was infact "FSX Go" relased ages ago. I dont have it yet so that will be high on my list. Up until a couple of months ago my TML settings had always been set @1024 default, then I got some HD aircraft and wanted to set the TML higher 4096 and maybe also improve the ground textures at the same time also with a LOD_radius 6.500000, and noticed the issue with keeping it locked and wasn't aware that it reverted to default, I saw the setting in the Aero tool and assumed that if I didn't select the option to have 1024 TML when not using a 2048 runway, it would remain exactly as I had set.

I did read the Posts #2 & #3 before posting, but Frostys link is broken or didn't go to the right place and could not acquire the TML tool.

I'll go with the ORBX product and pull my feet out of my mouth.

Cheers Jethro

Archived