ANY FTX scenery causes massive delay in P3Dv4.0.28 startup

Mike Sierra

(I'm copy'n'pasting this text from another thread, where the core problem wouldn't fit the title any longer:)

My problem is, that, with the installation of OrbX/FTX sceneries (only compatible ones, installation via FTXC3!), the FlightSim sometimes has a horrific drag in starting:

I'm talking about the time between clicking the "OK" button in the scenario setup screen at startup and the moment of 'ready to fly', but the problem also occurs in-game, when loading another scenario or re-loading the actual one.

When I start P3D I have the 'OK to ready-to-fly times' between 2 and 2 1/2 minutes, but every now and then (I'd guess, every third or fourth time), it first starts as if a 2 1/2 minutes start would come, but at 81% of the loading bar, the loading progress stops.

About one and a half matches of 'Solitaire' (Win game) later, it proceeds to 82%, and another match later to 83%. The rest then loads at 'normal' speed.

Sometimes I already can see my scenario scenery already, when the loading bar is at 81% (P3D reacts to my TrackIR head movements), and there I noticed that the autogen buildings are already shown, but autogen trees are still missing in the display (They pop up when the loading bar has reached 100% and the loading window is closed).

That's why I first suspected FTX trees to be the fault.

Before having started Orbx installations this delay at 81% never occurred.

Then I install OrbX sceneries in the sequel: Global, Library, LC Euroe, LC North America, (leaving out the Trees)

And these are the results of my investigations, which took me half of the afternoon to perform:

Two findings:

1. FTX Trees HD is NOT the faulty add-on.

2. I surrender without a conclusion.

I've tested P3D for the last hours and took the times between OK button and ready-to-fly.

These are the results:

Having FTX Global, Orbxlibs, openLC Europe, openLC North America installed: 2'28", 1'06", 1'00", 1'00" (At the first start obviously P3D wasn't in the cache memory).

Adding: EU England, Germany north, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway, Scotland and Wales: 2'09" (again the cache!), 1'09", 7'44" (!)

Removed Wales: 7'53"

Then I deactivated my McAfee antivirus: 1'03" (oho!), but then again: 7'46" (so McAfee isn't the faulty either),

Removed Scotland: 1'15", 1'12", 1'14", 1'14", 1'11", 1'10", 1'10" (have I found it?)

Adding Wales again: 5'22" (huh? maybe reading new sceneries the first time?), 1'12", 1'12", 1'10", 1'07", 1'11" - so could it be Scotland?

I deleted the sceneryindexdata files: 1'11" (no effect, though it took a lot longer to come to the scenario setup, as all 184 sceneryindexdata files had to be re-created)

I deleted about 2800 shader files: 1'11" until 100% loading bar, änother 1'13" to build up the shaders again and to be ready to fly.

I've re-installed my yersterday's version (including FTX Trees) - only one test: 1'14".

Now I'm adding the North American and Oceanian sceneries.

And I have no solution to the 7:44 startup time problem.

Going back to simflying instead of betatesting...

Michael.

IF it were me - I'd reinstall the client. I have a few addon sceneries (Victoria+, Grovestine's CYYJ and FS DreamTeams Vancouver) w/o that kind of delay - sure it's a little longer loading than stock configuration - but nothing like that. start from the base...

Hi Greg,

Please don't be upset on my answer to your suggestion (you cannot know): But I won't do THAT again.

This is my third complete-from-scratch-installation of v4HF1!

And it is a 'feature' that I also had in the first release of v4.0.23, so I guess, the client, which was worked over with the HF, cannot have much to do with that problem.

Nevertheless thanks for your statement.

Michael.

Hi Michael,

Interesting topic on the Lag, Do you have your Sim on an SSD or HDD? My Sims are on an HDD, P3DV3, FSX and P3DV4, I do get a little Lag at 6% loading, I have found using a really good De fragger that prioritises files into segments, dramatically improves my load times. Anyway, nothing official, just what my system does:)

Hi RIchard,

My v3.4.22 is on a SSD drive, but having left over some discharged 'too small' (too small at 2 TB!) HDDs in perfect shape, I installed v4.0.28 onto one of these HDDs.

After having started this thread I've re-imported a complete (Acronis-file)-backup including all folders of C:\Programdata and C:\User, and stopped working with the stopwatch.

But I also did an intense deframentation of the drive, though (just checking) since that again about 1000 files are (re)-fragmetated (on the SSD it was completely senseless, as well as not recommended on SSDs, I know, as after only one flight the fragmentation rate was the same as before defrag).

I hardly dare to write, that since that my loading times are now (less than 10 starts of P3D yet) what I call 'normal' (<2 min).

The short lag at 6% is a well known 'feature', which entered the system when including FSGlobal mesh data. It is present since the first edition of FSGlobal (I think in times of Fs2004).

I will remain sensible to that topic!

Michael.

A late addendum, just to confirm the findings:

I just added the OrbX freeware sceneries and - again - had a startup time of over 7 minutes.

After a new defragmentation of the HDD I'm running P3D at starting times of about 70 seconds, again.

Michael.

17 hours ago, Mike Sierra said:

I just added the OrbX freeware sceneries and - again - had a startup time of over 7 minutes.

Of course it's going to take longer the first time after installing all of those freeware airports. It's a couple thousand bgl's to read and add in to the sim's database. Once it's done the first time, the times will decrease to normal.

• 3 months later...

I have everything on an SSD and have the same loading time issue(s) with both FSX and P3D. Sometimes the load times are 5-6 minutes. I checked and tested everything I could think of. It's definitely the load of the ORBX scenery but I just finally gave up trying to figure it out. Too many things to do in life to worry about stuff like that..........Doug

Archived