Virginia Beach (42VA) to Wilmington, DE (KILG)

mglan80

Having recently got back from a vacation in Virginia Beach (nice place and near constant military flights - mostly F/A-18s), thought I'd see how long it would take flying there instead of driving.  I had this thought after the fourth stop for a very unhappy 10 month old and a frazzled mom and dad!  Plus I needed a cool flight for my first with the newly purchased A2A Comanche.

Departing 42VA.  This is a private field that is used by the Military Aviation Museum.  It's a great place to visit - look it up.  The barebones P3D leaves a little to be desired.  Looking forward to seeing the NA airport upgrades again!

pAR3bU7.jpg

Still climbing while passing over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. 

hbWQRX7.jpg

Passing over the beautiful town of Oxford, MD.  A great place to visit for the day or do some sailing on the Tred Avon.  Stop at the Scottish Highland Creamery on the water for ice cream if you need a sweet fix.

bgKhSKU.jpg

Over southern New Castle County, Delaware.  The Salem Nuclear Power Plant is off to the right across Delaware Bay.  The Chesapeake and Delaware Canal is just on the horizon.

bG6EF9q.jpg

There's the field.  It's a fairly busy corporate jet airport with a lot of maintenance flights in and out for the Desault Falcon shop there, and the DANG has C-130s based here.  There has been commercial service on and off over the years.  I have flown into and out of here on an A320.  Landing on 01.

uWudQ7c.jpg

Short final.

rwPcvCp.jpg

Didn't do too bad on the landing, but need to do a few circuits and touch and goes.  Hope you enjoyed!

On 6/26/2017 at 10:24 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Yes, enjoyed it very much, I like that bridge, even in just Orbx's regions there's still great detail.  Nice area I haven't flown in.

Thanks, guys!

Jack, the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel is an experience. It's 13 or so miles of causeway and two tunnels across the mouth of Chesapeake Bay. You're out on a lot of open water and the wind can be fierce in the winter. It makes for some white knuckle driving!  It was pounding rain when we came back over for VA Beach. 

1 minute ago, mglan80 said:

Thanks, guys!

Jack, the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel is an experience. It's 13 or so miles of causeway and two tunnels across the mouth of Chesapeake Bay. You're out on a lot of open water and the wind can be fierce in the winter. It makes for some white knuckle driving!  It was pounding rain when we came back over for VA Beach. 

That's incredible.  I'd love to drive it just to see what it's like and it must be really scenic too.

Archived