Where have I gone wrong

g1950536

Just downloaded and installed 'Northern Ireland' and things are not as expected,

I am running FSX SE on its own ssd and add on scenery, Horizon Photo Scenery, for the remainder of the UK, on a second ssd.

Northern Ireland installed in the main FSX folder (do I have an option for this?) but when I run the sim the results are terrible.

The screen shots are examples of what I get, What can do to remedy this?

orbx NI 1.jpg

orbx NI 2.jpg

orbx NI 3.jpg

orbx NI 4.jpg

Hi Nick

The 'User Guide' simply says "Installing Orbx FTX NIR is all managed by our FTX Central application. This app is responsible for many aspects in maintaining your Orbx installation.". So that is what I did. I am used to downloading, installing then running, and that's it. It would seem that Orbx products need a bit more action from the user.

So the answer to your question is, 'No'.
Apart from FTX Central, is there any other software that needs to be installed that I'm not aware of?

Regards, Bob

Is Northern Ireland your first Orbx product? I ask because if it is then you need to install the orbx libraries. If it isn't and you already had a FTX addon installed then the libraries should be there already. Does Central 3 say Libraries are installed. It will tell you if they are installed by opening Central and under Global it should identify the Libraries as to whether they are installed or not. Again if it your first FTX addon you will also need to run the Migration programme. That too is in central under settings ( the wheel icon ). Run that.

I hope I haven't told you what you already know, but you don't mention if you have other FTx addons already installed. 

Finally, you will need to go back in central to Settings and go to the Library Insertion facility. Make sure you pace FX below ALL 3rd party addons  and then place OLC if you have any (FTX OLC) and click Save.

Thanks jjaycee1

Yes Northern Ireland is my first Orbx product and with your invaluable help it now seems to be up and running as it should. Obviously not as accurate as photo scenery but a vast improvement on the original.

My only other problem (I hope) is to install it to a location of my choice, in this case to my dedicated scenery ssd, if that is possible.

Any help on that would be most welcome. I do understand that I would need to do an uninstall first.

Bob

On 5/23/2017 at 5:01 PM, g1950536 said:

Thanks jjaycee1

Yes Northern Ireland is my first Orbx product and with your invaluable help it now seems to be up and running as it should. Obviously not as accurate as photo scenery but a vast improvement on the original.

My only other problem (I hope) is to install it to a location of my choice, in this case to my dedicated scenery ssd, if that is possible.

Any help on that would be most welcome. I do understand that I would need to do an uninstall first.

Bob

Sorry for the late response. I had forgotten I had given you some advice on this topic.

Anyway, glad to see you are up and running. You are welcome.

I think i am correct in my understanding of what you are asking, insomuch as you want to know if you could now place the FTX NI scenery on to your dedicated Scenery SSD? Well the answer is yes and no. A bit confusing I am sure but there are a couple of things to know.

Orbx sceneries are designed, unlike many other addons, to be placed within the P3D directory versus other addons which can be placed on any other suitable Drive and their path just indicated and added to the P3D scenery library. Orbx injects additional files on many occasions into other P3D folders. For example airport elevation correction bgl files that will be inserted into Scenery\world\scenery folder plus maybe a traffic bgl. This does not apply to FTX NI but does to many other FTX addons.

So to answer your question, when it comes to FTX addons it is highly recommended to adhere to the keeping the installation in the Orbx folder within P3D directory. You can however utilise the facility of creating a Symbolic Link which would allow you to place your FX addon on a separate drive. I don't use that facility so i will not give advise on how it is done, but there are plenty of posts i these forums regarding how to do it.

Almost all other 3rd party addons and freeware are, for example airports, and only consist of a 2 folders, Scenery and Texture and only require a main folder with the title of the addon, e.g. SODE and within that folder a file called "scenery" and within that you will have Scenery and Texture.

All those can be placed on any drive you want.

Hope the above is helpful. 

Archived