Nvidia drivers or FTX causing OOM

Jon Clarke

The title of the post is only to hopefully ensure I get a response to my question !

I am experiencing OOMs in areas covered by FTX addons that I could fly in before without any OOM. I use SimStarter so I only ever have the basic required sceneries enabled. Example, my UK and Ireland profile will only have those regions enabled. No OLC, Vector, PNW, AU etc.

My flight settings will be my normal one's or trimmed down to suit. My ai traffic wil be set also to normal or trimmed down to suit.

The result is that i still get an OOM. So can anyone assist in describing if it is my nvidia driver causing this problem. I am failing to understand why this OOM thing is suddenly more prevalent recently in areas where it never occurred before.

I am using the latest 383.05 drivers but must add that I am experiencing OOMs with all drivers recently. I have even used 372.70 and 376.33 with the same results. 

PS I still cannot fly out of EGLC without the dreaded ping warning on very low settings

Thanks for the responses. I don't use ai in the scenario where I get OOM, nor do i have vector enabled in any FTX Region, so that is not the cause of OOM. It would reduce system resources and VAS but my concern is the appearance of OOMs in areas that they never existed before, with the same settings.

I suspect drivers are guilty but am not 100% sure. P3D has been updated many times over recent time, as have nvidia drivers and indeed the Windows OS. All I do know as fact is that OOMs were not a part of my experience with P3D in the past and now they are.

One major reason that I look forward to v4 of P3D.

Hi jjaycee1,

I found lowering my water slider down and shadows down to High, gained 20 frames and no OOM, in a default vehicle, without touching my scenery library and Drivers up to date. If you look around the area, there is a lot going on. I did this with a GTX970 4970K, also when I pulled the Detail radius down a touch, seemed to do the trick. I do not believe this is an Orbx issue, I personally think it is a Sim settings issue. Maybe resetting your cfg might help, if you have made amendments to it.

Thanks Richard. I have no tweaks or amendments to my cfg. I am aware that settings are a main cause and trimming will help alleviate the OOM potential. But to be honest I never used to get OOMs. I would get performance drops, some quite considerable in demanding areas like KLAX, but now they just seem more regular.

I have noticed, in P3D, that if you have reasonably high settings in a fairly demanding area, that if you pause the flight to make a change in Options or World Scenery that you can get the pings of doom. This is even if you have gone in to reduce some settings and then clicked OK. It's like P3D doesn't flush the cache but adds to it during reload. Maybe it has always done that, I don't know, but as i said it seems to be a lot easier to get an OOM now for some reason.

One thing I have learned is that running MalwareBytes uses up to 300MB, so that goes off when I want to fly.

Archived