Memory versions.

Dadtom65

Hi all. Wonder if any one can help. At the moment I have 8gig of memory but have been thinking of going up to 16gig. Had a look at prices and have seen memory that is the exact same as to what I have installed, timeings and same voltage, same make, but when I looked closer the versions were different. Like mine are version 8- something but the ones I have been looking at are version 2 some thing. Would I still be able to use these or would the memory have to be the same. So it's a matter of just having to buy 8gig or complete new 16 gig. Thanks Derek.

8 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi all. Wonder if any one can help. At the moment I have 8gig of memory but have been thinking of going up to 16gig. Had a look at prices and have seen memory that is the exact same as to what I have installed, timeings and same voltage, same make, but when I looked closer the versions were different. Like mine are version 8- something but the ones I have been looking at are version 2 some thing. Would I still be able to use these or would the memory have to be the same. So it's a matter of just having to buy 8gig or complete new 16 gig. Thanks Derek.

Your motherboard will dictate exactly what memory you can install. That must be your starting point! I suggest that you look there first.

Cheers

Paul

If it is just a revision of the same product, with the same speed, voltage and timings, then the chances are very good that it will work without any problem. I've seen mixed RAM work, as long as the timings are set the the values of the slowest stick, but it is not advisable. Some of it will come down to your mainboard and its BIOS... some are very touchy, so it might be worth doing some more research, and asking questions on tech centered forums.

I would like to add another 8GB myself, but memory prices are very high currently, so it seems crazy to put more money in to the old tech I'm running [old chipset and DDR3]

Thanks Mark, yes I found out earlier online that is the case. That's all I have as well an old gigabyte motherboard and an i5 3770K. It will have to do as I'm to old to afford anything newer, though my son did buy me an Nvidia 1060 graphics card which helps a lot. Derek.

at the moment we are still working with 32bit applications , 16 GB will bring not more then 8 GB , because max memory we can adress will be max 4GB and not more.

so upgrading will only be usefull when going to 64 bit  flighsim software like xplane, but then also videocard must be at least 4GB to fly smoothly.

Sure sim123, what you say is true But, as each individual 32 bit application can only address 4Gb, with more memory, you can have more applications running concurrently each using their allocated 4GB memory space.  Things like FS2Crew or Active Sky Next will use memory, in 4GB chunks, above the 4GB boundary if you have more RAM installed and running a 64 bit OS.

Of course, you have to have a processor to handle that and my i7-990X with 6 cores does it well.

Archived