Navy North Island

Ripcord

Well OK, now I understand -- that hulking box that somewhat resembles an aircraft carrier is part of a large massive POI object.  So if I remove it, I remove half the city.

POI-CORONADO.jpg

This is a good way to save on frames.  And it is also a really good way to totally make KSAN incompatible with anything else.

I love the airport, but not at the cost of the rest of the area.  Can we not edit that thing out?

Seems that having a carrier moored at NAS North Island is quite realistic.  If removing it results in "half the city" being removed what is the point in having the Southern CA scenery installed?

Spud having a good carrier object at NAS North Island is realistic, sure.  But having an AI carrier that comes and goes from North Island is much more realistic. 

It is a bit like parking static 747 objects at the gate at the airport - some like it, some do not.  The objection to keep them or remove them is really the best solution, and I would argue that the same should have been done with this.

BTW I love the admin buildings that ORBX did for NAS North Island.  Again, it will interfere with others that use NAS NI scenery for the air base there (not really any good one out there right now anyway), and again, it should be an optional setting, but it is at least nice to look at, and it adds something to the scenery right there.  That carrier was just some hack slapping PR textures on a box.  Not even freeware quality, and certainly not deserving of ORBX stamp of quality. 

The USS Midway museum across the way, is not great in terms of a work of 3D art, but still not bad.  And it is a static museum, which doesn't move, so I can live with that.

Never mind, I sorted it out on my own.

SanDiego2.jpg

Was able to restore the pre-KSAN goodness of San Diego and its environs without removing KSAN itself -- just needed to turn off a few files here and there.  Contact me if you want to know which ones.

• 8 months later...

Hi Mark.

How did you do it?

I missed this thread when you started it and hadn't seen much criticism of the KSAN scenery, so I picked it up during the holiday sale. 

Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed with it and considering just uninstalling it.  Never felt that way about an Orbx product before.

It's certainly not all bad, the KSAN airport runway & terminals look good, there are some good 3D custom buildings, the Coronado bridge looks good, and some of the photo-real is OK.

However, the really dark color of all the skyscrapers downtown is wrong.  Downtown overpasses across the photo-real I-5 look bad.  Most roads are devoid of AI traffic.  The hotel Del looks bad, and both the Midway and the carrier at North Island are sub-par.  (The default P3D carrier at the NAVSTA looks so much better.)  I also have civilian ships docked at North Island and all through the NAVSTA.  (Don't remember if that is the case with SCA.) 

IMHO, I like the overall look of the SCA region's representation of the area better.

55 minutes ago, h3pilot said:

Hi Mark.

How did you do it?

I missed this thread when you started it and hadn't seen much criticism of the KSAN scenery, so I picked it up during the holiday sale. 

Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed with it and considering just uninstalling it.  Never felt that way about an Orbx product before.

It's certainly not all bad, the KSAN airport runway & terminals look good, there are some good 3D custom buildings, the Coronado bridge looks good, and some of the photo-real is OK.

However, the really dark color of all the skyscrapers downtown is wrong.  Downtown overpasses across the photo-real I-5 look bad.  Most roads are devoid of AI traffic.  The hotel Del looks bad, and both the Midway and the carrier at North Island are sub-par.  (The default P3D carrier at the NAVSTA looks so much better.)  I also have civilian ships docked at North Island and all through the NAVSTA.  (Don't remember if that is the case with SCA.) 

IMHO, I like the overall look of the SCA region's representation of the area better.

There is a service pack coming soon that I hope address these issues. Have a look here post #52 for my workaround.

I too have UN installed it for the time being.

Archived