C-17

Orion Pilot

Hi all, Just wanted to let everyone who might be interested, Alphasim have "part released" their C-17 project.

By "part released" I mean they have released the finished exterior model package, with the cockpit (VC) to be released at a later date.

Some might call me crazy - but I took the plunge and got it last night - and might I say - from my point of view - I quiet like this airplane. ;D

The sound set is awsome - well to my ears anyway!...and the flight model for both FSX and FS9 are quite good. ;D

This is a quick shot for the RAAF's 207 Aircraft - I think they still need to add the numbers on the nose.... But over all I am happy with it!

Posted Image

I was tempted by this as well but paying for just an external model? No way. I want to see the VC first.

Yep, x2.  Sounds like a half arsed grab for cash.  I'll wait and let them relieve me of my shekels when I see the 'finished' product thanks.  ;)

I was tempted by this as well but paying for just an external model? No way. I want to see the VC first.

Yep, x2.  Sounds like a half arsed grab for cash.  I'll wait and let them relieve me of my shekels when I see the 'finished' product thanks.  ;)

Yeah, Alphasim seem to be a group riddled with problems. Parting with cash for a promise to complete is a bit much.

I agree. I bought the Captain Sim 727 without a VC and when they later released it at $100, I was wondering would I have bought the exterior model, knowing that.

The answer is NO.

There are too many great Companies producing great aircraft to be sucked in by those that don't, IMHO,

Frank

Like I said, might have been a silly move buying it now - but I guess I will live and learn! ;D

I understand where people are coming from tho....

I am not sure if it will be equipped with a FMC, I guess that's what I will have to wait for!

Thanks for all your comments - some of them make me laugh! ;D

Cheers!

Guest victor

i too took the plunge my self and deeply regret it

too keep things simple, i dont think no matter how good they make the vc after looking at the externals it will make bang for buck

to me it looks like a fs9 port over by judging  the exterior close up , default 747 sound and the lighting effects dont line up for starters and handles like a cessna 172

very very disappointed, they now have sunk to a all time low, i will never recommend this  or alphasim to anyone

please wait till this become freeware in a few years

to me it looks like a fs9 port over by judging  the exterior close up , default 747 sound and the lighting effects dont line up for starters and handles like a cessna 172

I am not sure I can agree with this - I know they have two models, one for FSX and one for FS9 - so I am sure it is not just a port over. I have both sims running, and they each look different, and the sound set I am sure is not default 747.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but with the lighting effects in FSX, is there not limitations as where / what you can do with the lights on aircraft? Like I said I might be wrong! (it has happened before! ;D)

I would also like to say, (with out blowing the horn for the company that designed it!)...I think that they do an alright job with their aircraft, and being a big military aircraft flier, sometimes my options are limited as to what and where I can get my aircraft from - so to say that

they now have sunk to a all time low, i will never recommend this  or alphasim to anyone

I think is a bit harsh.

But as I always say, I respect your opinion and derision, that's the beauty of our hobby!

Guest victor

orion, i stand corrected, the sound file isnt the 747, sorry i was looking at the sound file from another aircraft at the time

as for the model, there are nicer fs9 models out there for half that price

look at the end of the day, compared to more recent releases  its a poor package, but im the stupid one thinking it was going to half alright

after reading all the negative posts around the place on it, i thought i would give them the benefit of the doubt

boy i was wrong, this is no way near the price range they are asking, im aware that im the only one to be at fault for this

im just hoping no one makes the same mistake

bit harsh , im sorry i think not, at the end of the day, there is a expected level of quality from a payware developer even more when the price is that high

the earlier stuff is good, just the recent stuff since all the staff there are leaving in drove they have return to the older days over over priced freeware

Victor, I appreciate your comments....it is good to get another point of view ;D

John - I guess it is strange that they have only released half the product - and I guess I am the silly one flying around in an aircraft with no cockpit (brings a whole new meaning to glass cockpit hey! ???)......I am just a sucker I guess.....or an optimist!

I've never been big on tubeliners and the like, but from what I understand, the main drawcard to this genre of aircraft is the systems is it not?  The idea of getting from one major airport to another using and many bells and whistles as possible to do it?  Therefor, for Alphasim to release (and expect people to pay for) an aircraft of this genre with no cockpit and therefor no systems, would be akin to Orbx for example releasing a highly detailed airport with no runways.  I'm sorry, but alphasim has never to this day done anything to encourage me to give them money..

Spot on David, if you think about it... the J41 has so much in it and its worked out about the same price. The real C17 has a pretty advanced FMS and head up display. This thing is suppose to be able to find and land at remote forward airstrips that are little more than scratches in the earth. You can only assume that his one will have the same level of systems complexity.

I hope for their sake this ends well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well contrary to popular opinion, I bought the C17 last night, missus had a small windfall and said "watcha want darl?"

spent 20 minutes tossing up between the JS4100 vs the C17....and went with the C17

Well once all the hoo-haa at the shop had been done, I spent half an hour figuring out how to get another VC working until Alphasim release the other half of this aircraft, eventually I got the default 747 VC working

My thoughts:

Sound is really detailed and very realistic

flight model is superb,

the outside skin is simply stunning

the animations are really well done

Its like having a Twinotter with the horsepower of a 747 ;D it lands on a dime and the climb rate is crazy

I would highly recommend it, and if the VC is anything like the outside skin it will be one fantastic aircraft

post-1377-130204053016_thumb.jpg

Guest Aussieman

UKMIL have released a freeware version of the C-17. And it has a VC and is of a better quality than the Alpha-Sim one.

Cheers

Pat

Hi Pat, yes I tried the UKMIL version when it was released the other day, however I'm going to have to disagree with you about it being better than the Alphasim version ;)

while it (UKMIL) is a very nice model, the VC is still rather rough for my taste, and the level of detail on the exterior of the Alphasim version is clearly superior (all I can compare with atm lol)

If the VC on the Alphasim version turns out anything like the Sabre/blackhawk, I'll be happy

Cheers

Tim

UKMIL have released a freeware version of the C-17. And it has a VC and is of a better quality than the Alpha-Sim one.

Cheers

Pat

G'day Pat,

I to have down loaded the UKMIL C-17 - and I have to agree with Meatycus - the Alphasim C-17 has far better detail on the external model. ;D ( the UKMIL C-17  win hands down in the VC department though! ???::) )

Now I don't want to knock the UKMIL C-17 - the guys who have worked on it sure have put some time and effort into the project - and they need a pat on the back for their efforts, and with time,  as with most aircraft, there will be improvements!

I bought the C-17 the day it was released and I must say that I am quite happy with it (despite the missing VC)

Textures are 2048 pixel big and therefore very detailed, soundset is from TSS (Turbine Sound Studios) and as someone said before, it is a true FSX model.

Update was said to be released approx. in a month including VC and other things

Flies great, looks great, sounds great

Btw. a preview shot of the VC in early alphastadium

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

That vc shot looks interesting. If memory serves me right, Ernie Alston is (or was?) developing the FMC for this beast.

I personnaly can't wait for the final package to be released. I resisted the whole "buy the beta" concept, but man am I looking forward to it!

• 4 months later...

just to bring this back to your minds regarding the VC development of the alphasim C-17

C-17 Globemaster III status report ! An interim version (v1.05) including the 2D panel suite (and hopefully some new texture sets) is due for release later this month, all being well. The VC work has repeatedly stalled due to lack of finance. General low sales and a poor return on the C-17 version 1.0 has left funds gravely depleted. Efforts had to be switched to some new FSX model packages for release through a 3rd party publisher in order to obtain the necessary funding for the expensive items needed to complete the C-17 cockpit. We apologise for the long wait and bad estimates. As a company we are not in good shape right now, so we ask for just a little more patience as we attempt to complete this project while we still can. The whole of April and May are set aside for non-stop C-17 work, no other projects are scheduled for that period, so the VC should be ready by the end of May.

Well of course the sales figures are low. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's stopped trusting in vague promises from developers. EG. I'm still irate with Digital Aviation for their Fokker VC embarrassment. I'm aware that Alphasim is not Digital Aviation, but I for one have learned my lesson.

I won't go near it before the VC is complete, and I'm pretty damned sure the same goes for a lot of others. Once it's out, if it gets out, I'll be all over it.

Well of course the sales figures are low. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's stopped trusting in vague promises from developers. EG. I'm still irate with Digital Aviation for their Fokker VC embarrassment. I'm aware that Alphasim is not Digital Aviation, but I for one have learned my lesson.

I won't go near it before the VC is complete, and I'm pretty damned sure the same goes for a lot of others. Once it's out, if it gets out, I'll be all over it.

I still have hope for the DA Fokker VC.  Mine's been parked since I moved to FSX and exclusive VC flying.  Alexander Metzger, one of the Fokker developers, visits these forums.  Perhaps he can give us a little bit of an update here?  I really hope to be able to fly the Fokker by VC one day.

Wish I had your faith Jus. It's been a couple of years from memory and it seems to be out of DA's control. I, like many others, bought the product on the assumption - no I should say promise - of a VC. Shame, because I would really like to start flying the Fokker, but I only use aircraft with VC'S these days. Once burnt  :-[

Why is this type of marketing any different than A2A Simulations..  You buy the airplane (A2A Wings of Silver Piper Cub) at a reasonably high price then you have to buy the Accu-Sim addon to make it fly right (at the price of a some full addon planes)? 

Alphasim is just releasing the cub part a couple of months before the accusim part!

• 2 weeks later...

I like it, not all is clickable and I had a small problem starting engine #1 via the overhead panel but CTRL+E gets around this.

I really like the look of it there are a few eyecandys the gauges do look as if they had some reflections in them, engine gauge on the right side can be switched to PFD, ND, Engines, Map and CFG and I hope they will finish the VC, if they can keep this quality for it than it will be really good

Archived