Disk Cleanup after Windows update

Jon Clarke

Just a small suggestion here to help any of those with C drive capacity issues and who use Windows 10 and have not moved their Temp folder outside of C drive.

Do a Disk Cleanup of your C drive after the latest Windows 10 update to Creation version. 

Because it is a "new" version it will retain the pertinent required files from the Anniversary edition in case you wan to revert back to that.

It did a similar thing when those of us who got the free update from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

If you don't intend to change back to Anniversary edition then the Disk Cleanup in my case, removed over 12GB of files from my C drive. This amount of GB could be very relevant to those who have smaller C drives for their OS system, considering there are several posts regarding not enough space on their C drives to download or unzip/unwrap some of the FTX addons to the Temp folder.

I am not sure if reverting back to the Anniversary edition will make much difference, nor do I know, but suspect, that if you do revert back, Windows will constantly pester you to  update to Creation ! We all know that the updates appear to be obligatory for those of us who have the free Home edition.

3 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Just a small suggestion

Yes indeed...

I bit the bullet and decided to clean out my old Windows back-ups after moving to the Creation update... this included old Win7 data as well, from my original move to Win10. Doing this I gained a staggering 350GB :o ... I've been a bit lax keeping things clean and tidy lately, but I had no idea how much space all this redundant data was taking up.

I had a few minor issues after the Creation update, so did re-install using a burned to disk ISO of W10 CE, but retained my person files and app, and now all is perfect... I have no intention of reverting to previous version, so having some space back feels very nice.

You don't need it if you don't intend to revert back to the older version. Normally you can delete via the Disk Cleanup but it may not remove all on some occasions so there is a very good tool call Delete Windows Old.exe you can Google for. Another tip to save space is to regularly create a new System Restore point and remove the older ones. Only do this of course when you are absolutely sure your current system and files are working well. Also another file that takes up an inordinate amount of space can be Memory Dumps.

Hi I have mentioned this previously ; after the latest Win 10 big update check your System Restore options because all my options were deleted . ie which drives to save.

regards 

Archived