NA S Cal

paulb

Hi,

I purchased and tried to download NA Southern California today.

It is not installing. Keeps asking me if I want to retry the download.

Probably my fault! But any suggestions please as I have now tried it 4 times.

Frankly it is far worse than that now.

I managed the download in the end.

My problem in part, as it downloads to drive C (ie windows drive in my case), but that the drive was too full.

The weekend downloads - eg England - did not remove temp files on installation. Hence my problem. My drive was fuller than expected because to the non removal of temp files.

Anyway, I removed the temp files and was then able to download and install S Cal.

In a panic, I also installed Central Rockies and KSAN.

Now I am in a total mess.

FSX does not show normal screens etc. Not happy.

My only installs today have been S Cal, Central Rockies and KSAN.

I did have to remove some files from Drive C, which were left by England?

Anyway, FSX is now a mess......

bOJEXiC.jpg

n96sdJt.jpg

Well, I am going to bed now. As far as I can guess, in removing the England files unfortunately left as 'temp' on drive C, perhaps I also deleted some other 'temp' files that are used and required by FSX. Hence my current problem? Any ideas orbx?

This will not maybe resolve your installation problem but may I suggest you look at a Disk cleanup. Right click on your C drive, choose Properties, choose Disk Cleanup. It should in the end show you how much you can delete safely from the C drive. Go ahead and do the clean up. Also another way to clear some space is to do another System Restore and choose to allow the old ones to be deleted prior to the new one being made. This can result in quite a lot more room being available on the C drive.

After you have done all the cleanups, you could then try the reinstalls of your addons.

17 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

This will not maybe resolve your installation problem but may I suggest you look at a Disk cleanup. Right click on your C drive, choose Properties, choose Disk Cleanup. It should in the end show you how much you can delete safely from the C drive. Go ahead and do the clean up. Also another way to clear some space is to do another System Restore and choose to allow the old ones to be deleted prior to the new one being made. This can result in quite a lot more room being available on the C drive.

After you have done all the cleanups, you could then try the reinstalls of your addons.

Thanks. At the moment I am just trying to see if I can save FSX without a full delete and install!

Yes, drive C is too small really - just a 60GB SSD. Normally I have 15GB spare on it as I just try to use it for the operating system. It has all worked fine for ages.

But for some reason my installs over the weekend of orbx scenery did not leave the drive after install. Hence my Drive C was full and I rushed in to delete 'temp' files. It gave me the space back, but I must have deleted some files that make FSX run properly.

BTW, all of my FSX is on Drive F.

Ok. So have you tried the Repair function with FSX if you are thinking that FSX is screwed up somehow? It will replace missing files if that is necessary. 

Currently your pics are only showing visual faults with the aircraft. Can you show any pics with scenery faults? Without those pics it could be the plane that is a problem, but you need to provide evidence of faulty scenery since you installed the scenery recently, and we can pursue further.

Don't uninstall FSX.......yet !

Your post is a bit of a mixture of topics. It starts with unable to download SCA, then highlights a space problem in C drive, and then the pics show errors on the aircraft. I am not sure that they are all related.

You have indicated your space is resolved on C drive and I assume that your installed addons you mention were successful, except SCA?

Please clarify now, which problems are currently outstanding.

1 hour ago, paulb said:

Thanks. At the moment I am just trying to see if I can save FSX without a full delete and install!

Yes, drive C is too small really - just a 60GB SSD. Normally I have 15GB spare on it as I just try to use it for the operating system. It has all worked fine for ages.

But for some reason my installs over the weekend of orbx scenery did not leave the drive after install. Hence my Drive C was full and I rushed in to delete 'temp' files. It gave me the space back, but I must have deleted some files that make FSX run properly.

BTW, all of my FSX is on Drive F.

Ok. So have you tried the Repair function with FSX if you are thinking that FSX is screwed up somehow? It will replace missing files if that is necessary. 

Currently your pics are only showing visual faults with the aircraft. Can you show any pics with scenery faults? Without those pics it could be the plane that is a problem, but you need to provide evidence of faulty scenery since you installed the scenery recently, and we can pursue further.

Your post is a bit of a mixture of topics. It starts with unable to download SCA, then highlights a space problem in C drive, and then the pics show errors on the aircraft. I am not sure that they are all related.

You have indicated your space is resolved on C drive and I assume that your installed addons you mention were successful.

Also I assume you have installed orbxlibs latest, done Migration, set scenery library insertion points?

21 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

You have indicated your space is resolved on C drive and I assume that your installed addons you mention were successful.

Also I assume you have installed orbxlibs latest, done Migration, set scenery library insertion points?

Thanks!  Apologies about any confusion, but I have been in a bit of a panic. A lot of a panic in truth!

Basically it all started with me trying to download a file from orbx. It kept stopping during the download. When I checked I could see that Drive C was full.

So, I deleted 'temp' files from Drive C. Drive C is my operating system (W7) drive with little else on it.

That allowed the download to work fine.

When I then started FSX I could see straight away that I had a problem. It loaded OK, but no 'revolving' aircraft showed in the free flight screen.

I could select different aircraft or scenery there, but still no 'revolving' aircraft showing.

When I click 'fly now' I go to the pictures that I posted. Basically I seem to be somewhere inside the plane but sitting on the floor!

When I press S to cycle views, I only see blank screens ie just one colour. No external view and no tower view. All I can ever see is that 'jumble' when in VC view.

Pressing alt allows me to bring up the menu bar at the top and I can click on things and they all seem to work fine.

As my FSX install is (largely) isolated on Drive F (a 1GB drive that is only 25% full) , then most of FSX is probably intact.

But, clearly, FSX puts file onto my operating system drive, because of windows.

I assume that when deleting 'temp' files on Drive C, I also deleted some critical files that allows FSX to work properly.

How do I use the repair function for FSX please?

I believe that you insert the FSX disc and let it run. It should then say Repair, Uninstall etc. Choose repair. It is a long time since I used FSX but I do know that inserting the DVD/CD will bring those options up.

The only things that FSX would create in your C drive I think, would be possibly some files relating to the sim like your FSX cfg and some others. Probably on Users/your name/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX and maybe in Program Data/ Microsoft/FSX.

As I said I have not used FSX for a few years now so don't quote me!!

Anyway the repair should take care of those things. You may need to point the DVD to your installation Disk because it may come up and say it is not installed having looked in your C drive, the expected default drive for FSX.

1 hour ago, jjaycee1 said:

I believe that you insert the FSX disc and let it run. It should then say Repair, Uninstall etc. Choose repair. It is a long time since I used FSX but I do know that inserting the DVD/CD will bring those options up.

The only things that FSX would create in your C drive I think, would be possibly some files relating to the sim like your FSX cfg and some others. Probably on Users/your name/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX and maybe in Program Data/ Microsoft/FSX.

As I said I have not used FSX for a few years now so don't quote me!!

Anyway the repair should take care of those things. You may need to point the DVD to your installation Disk because it may come up and say it is not installed having looked in your C drive, the expected default drive for FSX.

Thank you for that.

I have separate original DVD packages for FSX and Acceleration as I purchased each of them when they were released.

I don't suppose you know which one I should use or if I should try both of them?

Thanks

Archived