Using the backup Orbx folder for installing into 64 bit P3D

Jon Clarke

I am going to use this reinstall method as an "install" method into the P3D 64 bit whenever it becomes available because I feel that it should work fine as 99%+ of the scenery files are .bgl files. If it doesn't work I can just remove the Orbx folder.

And yes I know about dlls like Peopleflow etc being unusable until made compatible, but the actual Scenery files should be fine. I also realise that this method would require manually adding the files to the scenery library but if you are experienced enough then you would already know the layering sequence required. For me it would be far less time consuming that redownloading all my Orbx files on a 200Kbps internet connection. The Vector download took me 8 hours (complete programme), so you can see where I am coming from. Not the same scenario for others with good download speeds.

If any member of the Dev team can advise me that this method will NOT work I would be interested to hear from them.

Quite possibly Nick. It is based on the initial advice regarding it as being a time saving method if you need to reinstall your Sim for any reason, and further info from JV in regard to him saying that the sceneries should work because they are .bgl format.

I see no difference between a reinstall an an install, but I agree it may be early to seek confirmation considering we don't know when the 64 bit Sim will be available, and more importantly the NDA regarding letting the public know how beta testing is progressing with 3rd party developers like Orbx.

I will wait for confirmation at a more suitable time, or when 3rd party developers (Orbx) are allowed to give a possible "progress" update on their findings.

Edit: Having re-read JV's announcement about No Charge for 64 bit scenery and that we won't need to re download files, makes me more confident that 1. the sceneries will work and 2. the back up method will as well, BUT will not be required because Central 3 will do all the necessary.

So in essence my question becomes somewhat irrelevant and is already answered.:D

Archived