Intel I7700K liquid cooler or air cooler

Mohamed Amin

Hi guys!

I'm planning to buy a new PC soon but i'm still wondering if i should stick with air cooling or water cooling. I have bad experience with liquid cooling in my two former builds so i'm thinking about buying the Noctua NH-D15. How would the NH-D15 perform against the Corsair Hydro H115? Keep in my that i'm going to overclock the 7700k.

Best Regards

Mohamed K

Hi Mohamed,

My experience is limited but I will try help as best I can.

I recently built a new PC and also got the 7700K. To keep costs low initially I only opted for a CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Evo, one of the cheaper air coolers around. I intent to change this down the track.

Currently my CPU is running at 4.5ghz and temps with my air cooler never exceed 76 degrees - prior to a recent BIOS update they ran a bit higher but are fine now.

So to answer your question, if you have happy with temps like that and are planning to get a much better air cooler I think you would be fine as opposed to going liquid cooling.

Hi Folks,

Another fan of Noctua - if you have the space I've seen them get better numbers than liquid systems... I upgraded all my case fans to the beige and brown Noctua fans as well - halved the noise level from my stock case fans... It's very quiet now...

Regards,
Scott

25 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Another fan of Noctua - if you have the space I've seen them get better numbers than liquid systems... I upgraded all my case fans to the beige and brown Noctua fans as well - halved the noise level from my stock case fans... It's very quiet now...

Regards,
Scott

thanks a lot guys!

scott, are the temps good? even when overclocking?

Hi Mohamad,

My system is a tad older - I'm running the "14" series Noctua and a Sandy 2700K - base clock of 3.5 Ghz @ a pretty substantial OC of 4.7 Ghz and my temps stay below 80C... Honestly - I built it years ago and monitored the temps for a while but I haven't looked at them in years... Set it and forget it...

Regards,

Scott

Archived