Kelowna Elevation Issue

BeaverDriver

G'Day All,

I seem to have an elevation issue at Kelowna (CYLW). Please see the pics below and details below that:

Kelowna1.jpg

Kelowna2.jpg

OK, this is in FSX, all North American regions except SoCal are installed and active. All other 3rd party scenery is turned off as far as I can see. I did find a similar instance to this issue in this thread here:  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/47235-cylw-and-elevation-problem/#comment-414859

so I went looking for the relevant files. I did find the ADE_FTX_NRM_CYLW_elevation_adjustment.BGL file present in the Scenery\World\Scenery folder, AND in the {FSX}Orbx\Scripts\Custom.na\OFF folder as well. It seemed odd to me that the same file (same date and time) would be in both folders. In any event, I then switched the file in the World\Scenery folder to ".OFF" and restarted the sim. The results were unchanged. The CYLW file is not found in the AEC window when I did a search for it there. Can anyone give me an idea as to where I might look next or what I might try in order to resolve this? Many thanks.

FSX Deluxe, Win 7-64, 16GB RAM, All Orbx Regions except SoCal, Global Airport (freeware) pack installed.

Thanks again

Glenn

Hello Glenn,

This is what the airport looks like with nothing else installed except the FTX catalogue.

2017_3_2_7_45_10_266.jpg

and here it is without the elevation adjustment file.

2017_3_2_7_50_19_625.jpg

There are three possibilities, I think.

You have the elevation file active but not NRM.

You have NRM active but not the elevation file.

You have an elevation file from another addon active.

These are the FTX files

Untitled.jpg

Try a search of your files for CYLW and see if there are any others or any missing.

As to your question about there being two versions of the same elevation adjustment file,

Holger has kindly explained that in the topic to which you linked.

Good Morning (at least it is here :P) Nick,

Many thanks for the help. Yes, I seem to have some issues judging by the files you list in your post, so this is a big help. I've done a search as you suggested and here is what I have discovered:

I have

(Directory):  {FSX}\ORBX\FTX_NA_FTX_NA_NRM05_SCENERY\Scenery:

ADE_FTX_NRM_CYLW_Kelowna.bgl

ADE_FTX_NRM_CYLW_Kelowna_CVX.bgl

FTX_NRM_objects_CYLW_PLC.bgl

Directory:  {FSX}\Scenery\World\Scenery:

KelownaCYLW_ARP.bgl

ADE_FTX_NRM_CYLW_elevation_adjustment.BGL

What I'm not sure about is if all those files should be in the ...FTX_NA_FTX_NA_NRM05_SCENERY\Scenery folder . Placement may be part of the issue. What I don't have at all apparently is the second elevation adjustment file (which I will read up on in that other link this morning), and I guess the question there is which one I don't have, and the APB_CYLW.bgl file. However, I have only searched in the 2 directories noted above, plus the Vector directories. If I could ask you to confirm that the files I do have are in the correct directories as I've listed them in this post, that would help greatly.

Thanks Nick, really appreciate your time.

Glenn

Just an addendum here, I do also have the {FSX}\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.na\OFF\ADE_FTX_NRM_CYLW_elevation_adjustment.BGL file present as well (in the Orbx Scripts directory). That is to say, I have 2 copies of that file as you indicate, if I'm reading this correctly. Still missing is the APB_CYLW.BGL file. Am I looking in the correct directory for that file ({FSX}\ORBX\FTX_NA_FTX_NA_NRM05_SCENERY\Scenery)?

Thanks Nick.

Hi guys,

I suspect Glenn's culprit is " KelownaCYLW_ARP.bgl " as that's not one of our files.

Also, the "ABP_CYLW.bgl" file in Nick's post above is Global Vector's version of the airport layout, located in \ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_APT\scenery, and is being overridden by FTX NRM. If you don't have Vector you also don't have that file.

As for the two elevation adjustment files, as mentioned in the thread linked to by Glenn, anything located in the /OFF folder are inactive duplicates that people can access in case they inadvertently remove the active version in \Scenery\World\scenery.

Cheers, Holger

Hey Holger, how's it going?

I thought about that ..._ARP file and I'm not sure where it came from. What I'll do tonight is turn it off and see what happens. I do have Vector (which I should have mentioned) but I may not have searched for that particular file or in that particular folder. If it's not there, I take it that it should be, and if that's the case how might I go about getting it, assuming it is actually missing?

This gives me 2 places to experiment with so as I say as soon as I get home this evening I'll start working on that.

Thanks a bunch Holger, appreciate your time.

Glenn

Hi Guys,

Mystery solved and yes Nik and Holger, indeed the "...ARP.bgl" file is the offending file. As you suggested, I renamed the ARP file to .OFF and that cleared up the Orbx version immediately.

On a hunch, I very recently installed Simaddon's Kelowna, and as I could not ascertain where that ARP file came from, I made a guess and turned on the Simaddons entry in the Scenery Library, but left the ARP file to .OFF. Sure enough, all kinds of elevation issues showed up. Clearly their definition of "Orbx Compatible" and mine are somewhat different.

So, the issue is resolved, thanks to your help, and I can now decide how I want to proceed with this further, but as suspected by all concerned, this was NOT an Orbx issue at all. Giving me the list of Orbx files and having Holger's suggestions really helped me narrow this down very rapidly, and I'll be good to go from here. Hopefully this thread will help others, as the thread I quoted in my original post helped me, should they run into this themselves, including possibly elsewhere should they have other Simaddons files as this may not be the only instance of this type of problem.

My thanks indeed for your assistance. Much appreciated.

Glenn

Archived