Airport Elevations ... again ... sigh..

tomvaillencourt

So, I know there have been lots of posts about terrain elevations being screwy at certain airports after install, and have tried multiple suggestions in the threads I have found on the subject, but nothing seems to work. I'm using a new computer and installed almost all of my ORBX add-ons with FTX Central 3 and Even had a thread started a long time ago that went unresolved over terrain elevation issues I had with Monument Valley. Now I'm on a new system, with freshly installed add-ons, and am having the issue again, but the normal fixes don't seem to work. As far as I know my library is layered correctly. I've also used FTX Central Global Vector control panel "Airport Elevation corrections". I used auto configurations to detect scenery conflicts and disabled the suggested sceneries, and it did not work. I also tried doing single airport areas individually and manually, and it did not work.. Currently I'm noticing terrain elevations are off at monument valley UT25 and both airports in the OG39 package. My other airports so far seem normal..

My new machine is as follows: Alienware windows 10, running sixth gen core i7's at 3.7ghz. 16GB ram, and an Nvidia GTX 1080 GPU. I installed in this order: FSX, SP1, Acceleration, FSUIPC4, FSX Water Configurator, REX4, REX Soft Clouds, ORBX Global Base, Global Vector, Global Freeware airports, and ORBX Libs... I then transferred all of my purchases from FSS to ORBX and installed FTX Central 3. I used FTX Central 3 to download and install FTX PNW and my PNW Airports. I did not install ANY of my AU regions or airports yet..

Everything seems to have installed fine except monument valley again. Being that this is a new computer I have NO other scenery addons installed but ORBX (unless it came with an aircraft). MY scenery library is layered as follows:

FTXAA_ORBXLIBS 

FTX_AA_1S2

FTX_AA_1WA6

FTX_AA_2W3

FTX_AA_2WA1

FTX_AA_3W5

FTX_AA_65S

FTX_AA_74S

FTX_AA_7S3

FTX_AA_CZST

FTX_AA_KBID

FTX_AA_KBVS

FTX_AA_KCGX

FTX_AA_KCMW

FTX_AA_KORS

FTX_AA_MONUMENTVALLEY

FTX_AA_OG39

FTX_AA_S43

FTX_AA_W52

FTX_AA_WA79

FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY

FTX_NA_PNW06_CVX

FTX_NA_PNW07_MESH

FTX_NA__PNW08_CUSTOM

FTX_ZZ_GLOBAL_AIRPORTS

ORBX!OPENLC_BASE

ORBX!OPENLC_EUROPE1

NAMERICA1

BeaverX-Peir39

The Bush Hawk XP

Falcon X

Addon Scenery

Propeller Objects

Global, Generic & Vehicle Libraries

F-14A CV_63

Edwards_AFB

Las Vegas

Berlin

Longleat

Istyanbul

Rio De Janiero

Reno

St.Maarten

Oshkosh Aerial Photo

South America

Oceania

Western North America

Eastern North America

Central North America

Western Europe

Eastern Europe

Australia

Asia

Africa

ORBX!VECTOR_OBJ

ORBX!VECTOR_FixedAPT

ORBX!VECTOR_APT

ORBX!VECTOR_CVX

ORBX!VECTOR_EXX

1107 Base

Etc..Base layers...

Etc..Base layers...

Etc..Base layers...

Etc..Base layers...

Etc..Base layers...

0000 Base

ORBX!VECTOR_AEC

Default Scenery

Default terrain

So... Any thoughts?   LOL!

It is good that it is only these two and not a larger problem. 

I wanted to confirm one thing -- I did not see that you have Central Rockies FTX region installed.  That would be a requirement for OG39. 

While waiting for the real help to check in, perhaps you could post a screen shot of the elevation troubles you are getting at UT25?

Just now, Ripcord said:

I read your other thread -- I did not see that you have Central Rockies FTX region installed.  That would be a requirement for OG39. 

Can you post a screen shot of the elevation troubles you are getting at UT25?

My problem just got bigger.. Just posted a new thread. I do have central rockies, but its not installed yet, so I will have to wait to see if my other issue(http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/129257-a-lot-of-textures-wont-load-after-ftx-central-3-install/?do=findComment&comment=1150519) gets fixed before I can check this. Thanks for the input about Central Rockies requirement, I will investigate!

On 1/18/2017 at 6:37 AM, Ripcord said:

I wanted to confirm one thing -- I did not see that you have Central Rockies FTX region installed.  That would be a requirement for OG39. 

While waiting for the real help to check in, perhaps you could post a screen shot of the elevation troubles you are getting at UT25?

Thanks for the Help!! OG39 working great after Central Rockies! I'm going to check Monument Valley next, because I ran Vector Elevation corrections after I installed Central Rockies.  I am still seeing a little of default terrain bleed-through near Fall City though... but only in patches.. Is there an issue with the order of my Scenery Library that might cause this?

On 1/19/2017 at 5:57 PM, Ripcord said:

So Tom, just to confirm, you are using the vector configuration tool in FTX Central 3?

Yes. It didn't work initially when I was using it to attempt to fix OG39, but that was resolved when I installed Central Rockies. I'm still seeing FSX Default textures bleeding through the ORBX in the valley running West and Then Northwest of Fall City Airport.. Especially along the banks of the river. Its only showing in patches, but is definitely noticeable.

2017-1-21_3-47-16-59.jpg

2017-1-21_3-47-41-737.jpg

2017-1-21_3-37-16-829.jpg

2017-1-21_3-37-35-269.jpg

2017-1-21_3-46-41-318.jpg

Did you use FTX Central to install PNW? - oh wait, I see now in your post that you did.

OK, probably better to wait for the professionals.  Only thing I might suggest is to try removing and installing FTX PNW once again.

Here's some more near Stark's Twin Oaks... Note the golf course.. Irritating.... The more I explore the more I find it... I'm also suffering CTD issues I'm still trying to figure out LOL!  uiautomationcore.dll failures, and FSX.EXE failures.. I downloaded uiautomationcore.dll Version 16386 - and put it in the FSX folder which helped, but did not resolve the issue entirely.. every once in a while I get a crash, and when I look at my event viewer it seems I still get some crashes of the uiautomationcore.dll that in in my system32 folder.. And it seems to only happen when I pause a flight to make changes to the scenery or graphics sliders, or to the time of day... But it does not always happen at these times. I had one saved flight that was saved in spot view, and would crash when I switched to cockpit because it couldn't load RXP for some reason... Same aircraft loaded it fine elsewhere.. I also had one saved flight, that any time I switched the time/season to summer dusk, it would CTD. However if I started late afternoon, and flew constantly through dusk to night, it would go the whole time without crashing. eventually I ran out of memory, but that happens... I have every slider maxed out. I might trim them down, but so far I don't see a huge performance hit having them up. frame rates will still be between 30-50 FPS with maxed out sliders.  Anyway.. That is all another issue for another thread... Thank you to everyone on here that helps me out... Transitioning to a new system is always bitter-sweet.. Much greater performance and visuals, but lots of new bugs to work out to get a stable sim...  : /

2017-1-22_6-31-44-522.jpg

2017-1-22_6-31-1-302.jpg

2017-1-22_6-31-12-997.jpg

2017-1-22_6-31-41-199.jpg

Well the above screens are at the following coordinates near Fall City..  Coordinates N45° 26.78'  W122° 56.74

I'm also seeing terrain off on the runway at CZST (Stewart) where the camera in spot view can go below the textures as seen here, and the tires are sunk into the runway.

2017-1-24_16-27-1-542.jpg

South of the runway, I see this wall in the water, which continues into the water so there is a wall in the water. (similar to next picture)

2017-1-24_16-28-28-995.jpg

And North of the runway at CZST, a similar wall in the water at the docks...

2017-1-24_16-31-6-958.jpg

See more below... The river going up the side of the mountain... (there are worse spots too, where the snaking streams go uphill and back down again near the base of a mountain)

2017-1-24_16-33-30-845.jpg

Near Concrete, (N48° 32.43' W122° 4.54') There are many hills poking through, and random inserts of ORBX like so...2017-1-24_16-58-9-279.jpg

As for the Scenery I have installed its layed out in my first post to this thread, but essentially its Global Base, Vector, PNW, and some associated airports. I have run the automatic vector terrain elevation corrections, but it hasn't fixed these issues... There are many more anomalous bits here and there at alot of my addon airports (PNW) and some I've seen in certain areas of AU terrain as well.. Vector elevation correction does not seem to help. some areas are worse than others. what I posted above at Stewart is some of the worst I've found so far, but mostly I just see bumps and hills and mountains where the default textures seem to come above the ORBX ones.

If you take just one screen shot, state what scenery you have active and most importantly,

include the coordinates of where it is then a useful comparison can be made and shown to you.

This is an attempt to replicate this one shot

2017-1-24_19-56-42-959.jpg

FSX. Coordinates shown top left of the screen shot. Active scenery PNW. AEC for 76S not available in the Vector Control panel.

2017_1_25_10_3_25_300.jpg

I would suggest that you need to review your scenery library order and whether you have other files active at the same location.

Nick, only ORBX scenery and one Aircraft Carrier Pack in my libraries are active...and I did include coordinates or airports by name in the text that accompanied each shot. .. I'm not sure what else you are asking for... My Scenery consists of Default FSX Scenery. After that I installed FTX Global Base, and Global Vector. Then I installed PNW, ORBX Freeware Airports, Block Island, Meigs, ORBX Libraries, and ORBX Trees. Then Monument Valley. Then individual airports... 1S2, 1WA6, 2W3, 2WA1, 3W5, 65S, 74S, 7S3, CZST, KBVS, KCMW, KORS, 0G39, S43, W52, WA56, WA79... Then Northern and Central Rockies, Northern and Southern California. Yesterday, I installed my Australia Region, YCNK, YMAV, and YSTW. All of these are active. I also installed a few aircraft that come with "Sceneries"; the Lionheart Pacer which, "Includes scenery upgrades to several airports in and around Hope Alaska, south of Anchorage as well as small lake ports, remote cabin locations in forests and on lakes, camp sites on Glaciers, and a crashed UFO site up high on a Glacier." However this scenery is not active. The Aerosoft Beaver X and Falcon X both come with scenery, but they are both not active. And the Aerosoft F-14 Tomcat, which places some landable carriers around the world on the ocean. This IS active.

Should I be running Open LC?

9 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

All 3rd party addons should be at the very top of your scenery library above FTX....or maybe try unchecking them and see what happens....

Doug, thanks for your input! Any help I can get is greatly appreciated... I will move these up in my libraries, but they are already unchecked, except the F-14 CV-63 Carriers. Those are active. For the most part my ORBX addon airport elevations are fine, I just see a few ridges here and there that don't belong, as pictured above.  What is aggrivating me the most, is terrain elevations outside the immediate airport property.  I get ridges, hills and bumps that are out of place in fields or on roads, or as seen in my last screenshot ( Lupien (76S)  N48° 15.45'  W122° 39.99' ), the elevations at secondary runways is disrupted. Sometimes the lower resolution terrain textures bleed through and sometimes they don't. I see this especially around some river banks, but also will see it in places like the mountain range near Stewart (CZST) as pictured above. Here I will see High resolution photographic like textured mountains right next to low resolution default textured mountains. Just trying to find out, how much of this is "normal" and how much needs to be corrected. the out of place jagged ridges and three or four foot high "cliffs" that occur on open water are especially annoying.

2 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

As far as I am aware, the only relevant scenery at the location of the above screen shot is PNW.

Perhaps you could try disabling all your other scenery and see if the anomalies in your screen shot

are then still there.

Thanks Nick.. I ran Vector Elevation corrections again, (auto detect) and saw a minor correction at that airport. now the runway is visable, but floats above the underlying ground. there is also a tree in the middle of it now... LOL!  but the burm that was burying the runway is gone... so you're suggesting disabling everything but PNW region?

There is no Vector AEC entry for that airport.

Yes, if you disable all your other scenery, including Vector, leaving just the four PNW entries active,

you may see what I do, without the anomalies.

If you would prefer to send me a copy of your scenery.cfg file, attached to your next post, I will amend it for you and return it.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

There is no Vector AEC entry for that airport.

Yes, if you disable all your other scenery, including Vector, leaving just the four PNW entries active,

you may see what I do, without the anomalies.

If you would prefer to send me a copy of your scenery.cfg file, attached to your next post, I will amend it for you and return it.

I will try deactivating the other sceneries I guess, but then what? I lose all my paid scenery airports to save this one? What is the next step?  Here is my Scenery CFG, maybe you can spot an issue...  

scenery.cfg

Your scenery.cfg file is a total mess, it is full of duplicate default areas and I am

not surprised that your simulator is not working properly.

I am in the process of repairing the damage.

There is no trace of Vector at all, do you have it installed?

5 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Your scenery.cfg file is a total mess, it is full of duplicate default areas and I am

not surprised that your simulator is not working properly.

I am in the process of repairing the damage.

There is no trace of Vector at all, do you have it installed?

LOL! Wow.. Yes it is installed. I installed Global base first, then vector, PNW, then installed FTX Central 3 and used that to install everything else after.

Right.

I attach two scenery.cfg files.

The first, sceneryTVM.cfg, is what you sent me but repaired.

The second sceneryTVM+ Vector.cfg is what you sent me with the Vector entries added.

Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and rename the scenery.cfg file there to scenery.cfg.OFF.

Copy the sceneryTVM.cfg file into the same folder and rename it to scenery.cfg.

Run FSX and please replicate my screenshot.

If that works, as I think it will, copy sceneryTVM+ Vector.cfg into your C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

folder, rename the scenery.cfg file to scenery.cfg.backup and then rename sceneryTVM+ Vector.cfg

to scenery.cfg.

Run FSX and replicate the same screen shot again.

Thanks.

sceneryTVM.cfg

sceneryTVM+Vector.cfg

Nick, My apologies, please, this is going to be frustrating...  I think I may have sent you the wrong scenery CFG ? I sent you the one in my main FSX folder, from my D:/ drive where FSX is installed... It is different from the one in C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/FSX (Which is where my backups are.)  The one I CURRENTLY have in the directory you listed is Here:

Scenery.CFG

You must replace the scenery.cfg file that you find in C:\ProgramData\Misrosoft\FSX.

I am also attaching a default FSX scenery.cfg file.

Please download it and place one copy into your FSX root folder, so that it overwrites the

damaged one that you have there.

Also, for good measure, put another copy into C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

and let it overwrite that one too.

scenery.cfg

In case you missed my last edit, it is very important that you replace the two default scenery.cfg files

as I described.

(the FSX root folder and the appdata locations.)

They are used as backups in case the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX copy is missing or cannot be read

and unless they are "clean" will introduce all the same errors again.

The only scenery.cfg file that FSX actually can read is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg.

OK Nick,  Here's the scoop.. LOL!

I think I followed your instructions to the letter...

First I backed up my scenery.cfg files from all three locations ;

C:/users/tomva/appdata/roaming/microsoft/FSX/scenery.cfg

C:/programdata/microsoft/FSX/scenery.cfg

D:/FSX/Scenery.cfg

(please note: I did properly rename files as necessary throughout the process described below) (I've been using Microsoft flight sims and combat flight sims since FS98 - so I'm very familiar with how the file system works in most respects)

First Try: Replaced Scenery.cfg files in my c/users directory, and my d/fsx directory, with the clean default CFG you provided and replaced the scenery.cfg file in my c/programdata directory with the scenery.cfg "TVM" file. - took a screen (I used cockpit view no panel to provide a better view, but the EXACT location heading and altitude in your screenshot) - this resulted in no change, however I did get 176 scenery.cfg errors on FSX start up, from scenery areas not found. (I assume these were present in the CFG you copied. No biggie.. I get how that works...

Second try: Replaced the same CFG files with the clean default file once again, (as described above), and then the "TVM" file with the "TVM+Vector" - Started the sim - same scenery.cfg errors on startup, NO change in the second screenshot. 

Third try: Decided to try just replacing my D/FSX cfg file with the one that WAS in my c/programdata directory (the second cfg I sent you which included vector entries) to see if it would change anything. I did still start by replacing the two clean default files first... No dice... Identical Screenshot.

Finally fourth try: put everything back exactly the way I had it before starting this process, all configs replaced with what was originally there before I started this, just to see if there was ANY noticable difference from where I started, and once again... The screenshot was Identical...

There was literally NO change whatsoever in any of the screenshots taken except for the cars on the roads. other than that, every tree, cloud, or misaligned terrain feature was 100% identical.

Here are the four screens for all four attempts:

2017-1-25_11-50-15-893.jpg

2017-1-25_11-39-58-322.jpg

2017-1-25_12-14-29-772.jpg

2017-1-25_11-59-51-418.jpg

37 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

What about the airport, 76S, does it still have the large elevated section where the runway should be?

Yes, the way I accomplished the identical screens, (position wise) was to start the sim initially, then use map to get to the exact location as your aircraft, and saved the flight. but in each scenario and subsequent attemp, I would still fly down to view the runway.. I see it extend a few hundred feet then the grass beneith it goes down slope but the paved surface stays  floating above and disappears a little ways down more... At the mid point though there is a hole that goes down in the grass and the pavement can be seen at the bottom of the hole. there is another just like it at the far end... weird. the oddest thing though is that there is no change even when replacing the CFG files

Archived