'Square' islands

mikeyjay84

Gents,

Looking for advice on how to rectify an issue where my islands look 'square'.

This was a flight from WSSS to YSSY with Global base and Global Vector installed. I also have openLC Europe, NA and FTX England installed but they were de-activated for this particular flight as i wasnt using those regions.

Images below...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

DiVKB64.jpg

iTz5Dxl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

Global Vector's shorelines are mostly based on OpenStreetMap data. Thus, one can assess their local quality by comparing OSM with the sim. As can be seen from this area south of WSSS -- http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/1.1419/103.8557 -- some of the small islands are drawn with rather rough shapes while others have more detailed/accurate outlines.

As a global product, Vector relies on global databases and thus doesn't have the same detail/accuracy as FTX Regions do, especially outside of those parts of the world that spend resources on high-level topographic mapping (much of the base mapping in OSM stems from public-domain government sources too).

Cheers, Holger

On 19/01/2017 at 5:13 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

Global Vector's shorelines are mostly based on OpenStreetMap data. Thus, one can assess their local quality by comparing OSM with the sim. As can be seen from this area south of WSSS -- http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/1.1419/103.8557 -- some of the small islands are drawn with rather rough shapes while others have more detailed/accurate outlines.

As a global product, Vector relies on global databases and thus doesn't have the same detail/accuracy as FTX Regions do, especially outside of those parts of the world that spend resources on high-level topographic mapping (much of the base mapping in OSM stems from public-domain government sources too).

Cheers, Holger

That would explain it. Thank you.

I'm a big fan of the work Orbx do - makes the sim feel that much closer to reality. Fantastic work guys and thanks for the support.

Archived