What is quickest way to reinstall ORBX from FSS installers?

Ted Striker

I have ORBX global, vector, hd trees, all of the north america regions, and a lot of payware airports all in the form of already downloaded FSS installers. I would like to install them all into P3Dv2. So far I have only installed global and the Northern California region. Afterwards I tried to update the libraries with the FTX Central 2.1 and it said it would take 12 days so I cancelled out of that and stopped. I have not run any migrations or transferred my licenses to ORBX Direct. I am looking for advice on the quickest way to get everything installed and up to date. My preference is to use the FSS installers if possible as they are already downloaded onto my computer. Every ORBX subforum seems to have a thread about how slow the ORBX direct downloads are so I am very concerned about transferring my licenses at this time and having to download everything again.

My thought is to install everything with the FSS installers, then try a migration, and then transfer my licenses to ORBX direct. I apologize if directions for this procedure is posted somewhere. I looked through the forums but did not find it.

Thanks,

Ted

One of my larger FSS order numbers is 164737. If you need all of them I can provide them.

im sure you will get many replies and ideas but briefly reading what your saying, i would upgrade yourself to central v3 and then through central use your already downloaded files.  For example in central v3 you would click on FTX north california, then from the install options, choose the one relevant to that you already have the product downloaded and then go from there.  Central V3 doesnt require you to update library each time, when you install a product it will automatically update library if needed, unless it then flags up you need to install a new library version.

Thanks for the replies guys. That sounds like good news. So just to make sure I am understanding you correctly, I can upgrade to FTX Central 3 without signing up for ORBX direct and transferring my licenses? And with FTX Central 3 I can use the installers downloaded from the Flight Sim Store to install ORBX purchases? I didn't realize that I could do either of those.

Thanks,

Ted

Thanks Doug, I did read that article by Nick. It only applies if you already have the products installed on your computer then you can copy the folder to storage drive. That is not my case I need to install from scratch. I did some more digging on the forums here and it looks like I can use FTX Central 3 without transferring my license from FSS but without transferring my license I don't see what advantage FTX Central 3 has over FTX Central 2.

It looks like I am back to my original plan. Install everything I have with the FSS installers, say a lot of prayers, then install FTX Central 3, transfer the licenses, and hope for the best.

Ted

IMNSHO, that's the best course of action Ted. I deleted my FSS installers and realize now it was a BIG mistake. I'd keep those FSS backups for as long as Adrian keeps the registration data alive. I think dealing with the FSS wrapper is far easier, for now, than dealing with potentially slow FTXCv3 download speeds. I know the guys will get the problem(s) sorted but by using the old FSS files it will also lessen the load on an already over-burdened system..........Doug

13 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

Thanks Doug, I did read that article by Nick. It only applies if you already have the products installed on your computer then you can copy the folder to storage drive. That is not my case I need to install from scratch. I did some more digging on the forums here and it looks like I can use FTX Central 3 without transferring my license from FSS but without transferring my license I don't see what advantage FTX Central 3 has over FTX Central 2.

It looks like I am back to my original plan. Install everything I have with the FSS installers, say a lot of prayers, then install FTX Central 3, transfer the licenses, and hope for the best.

Ted

Ted,

I think the advantage of transferring over is the fact that you will not recieve any future updates to ORBX scenery unless you do.

Spud, I realize that I won't get any updates until I transfer my licenses. My question though Is there any any advantage any advantage to having FTX central v3 over v2 if you have not transferred your licenses? My current plan is to install everything with the FSS installers and then after that, transfer my licenses and update. Should I wait until everything is installed before upgrading to FTX Central v3 from v2 or upgrade to v3 then install all my products with the FSS Installers.

I understand that FTX Central 3 has a manual installer that can be used from zip files but I have not been able to determine if this function works with the FSS zip files or only those downloaded from ORBX direct after you have transferred your licenses. JD_Jay and JimNZ above suggested manually installing from zip files with FTX Central3 in a post above but I have not been able to confirm that this is possible with the FSS Installers. At this point I don't want to do anything that I cannot reverse.

Ted 

The FSS files will only work with the FSS installers. To use FTXCv3 to install backups you'll to have files created by FTXCv3. I would stay with v2 until everything is installed via FSS and only then transfer your licenses and install v3. Once those licenses are transferred you can't undo it. Note, though, that once the licenses are transferred you'll have to create all new backups using FTXCv3. I know some folks think having backups with the "new" ORBX is a waste of disc space - I'm just pointing out that if you want them you'll have to re-download everything (like I did...sigh)..........Doug

Thanks for the confirmation Triplane. Sounds like my proposed method is the best approach. I have a lot of airports that I have never installed. I probably will not get them all installed and checked until a few months from now. Hopefully by then ORBX will have the bugs worked out of the new download system. I won't be able to update until then but that's OK as I am flying ORBX scenery in P3Dv2.5 and its not changing.

Ted

Archived