Temora?

martinc

I flew an Archer from YSBK to Temora on Saturday. Traffic in the Temora circuit on arrival just amazing. Melbourne Centre was reporting at least 20 aircraft within 3 nm Temora, all inbound!!!!

Flying displays were fantastic, but the highlight was the Sabre display - solo flypasts and aeros, followed by an amazing F18 display, followed by F18/Sabre formation flying. Beautiful to see, and memorable jet noise (esp F18 at full thrust).

Departure from YTEM at 1515 hrs also interesting. A constant stream of radio calls broadcasting " ... taxiing Temorea, backtracking rwy 18 to depart rwy 23 ...". We were about no 6 off rwy 23, but as we tracked east to Bankstown, the departure calls were continuous.

A great day!

I flew an Archer from YSBK to Temora on Saturday. Traffic in the Temora circuit on arrival just amazing. Melbourne Centre was reporting at least 20 aircraft within 3 nm Temora, all inbound!!!!

Flying displays were fantastic, but the highlight was the Sabre display - solo flypasts and aeros, followed by an amazing F18 display, followed by F18/Sabre formation flying. Beautiful to see, and memorable jet noise (esp F18 at full thrust).

Departure from YTEM at 1515 hrs also interesting. A constant stream of radio calls broadcasting " ... taxiing Temorea, backtracking rwy 18 to depart rwy 23 ...". We were about no 6 off rwy 23, but as we tracked east to Bankstown, the departure calls were continuous.

A great day!

Thanks for the report... sounds awesome, wish I could have made it there  :'( Sound like temora could use some new taxiway's :-\

Vincent.

I too made the journey to Temora on Saturday, but on my bike. Kinda like very low flying.  :)

The programme got underway with the Tiger Moth and the STM Ryan duo. Beautiful, graceful, sedate is perhaps the best way to describe them. All manoeuvers are performed in relatively slow motion, the Ryan being surprisingly nimble.

(For those that have not been to Temora before there is a Master of Ceremonies, who maintains a informative talk describing what the aircraft are doing, their history, who's flying them, their experience and background and, at the completion of each flight the pilot(s) join the MC for a little chat. It helps create a wondeful atmosphere.)

They were followed by two Harvards and the CAC Wirraway - the sound of thsoe guys sends chills down my spine. A real gut-wrenching roar. The Havard formation manoeuvers were very specactular. Very tight and professional. And the Wirraway is just a joy to behold.

The Vampire was next, it really is a smooth and graceful aircraft in motion. Surprisingly quiet and quick. The Meteor followed, it's lovely lines rocketing past low in front of the stands. And that warbling 'Blue Note' is one of the most beautiful sounds imaginable.

After lunch the Spitfire was airborne. It's so easy to see why this graceful aeroplane holds such a special place in peoples hearts. It is just a beautiful aircraft. The sound of the Merlin is surprisingly throaty, and it moves through the air soooo quickly. It's very low fly-by's were captivating.

The Hudson, Boomerang and P-40 performed next, the Hudson and Boomer doing a formation flight initially with the P-40 lurking on the outskirts awaiting it's turn. It was well co-ordinated, the Hudson and Boomer would fly by from the South, then the P-40 would swoop down from the north and almost be past before you were aware of it. The difference between engine sounds was dramatic. The Twin Wasps of the Hudson and Boomer were loud and noisy, the Allison of the P-40 whispered. In flight the P-40 is almost as graceful as the Spitfire, sleek and streamlined. It's a beautiful aircraft in motion.

By mid-afternoon everyone was getting excited. We could see both the Sabre and the F-18 being prepped for flight, and the MC warned all that the engine start sequence for the Hornet was long and loud. And it certainly was! The Sabre start-up was one long slowly increasing whine, until it settled into a low pitched whistle. The Hornet started off with very loud clicks and clanks, followed by a almost explosive engine burst that would first drop down to a low rumble and then quickly scale up to a almighty roar. This happened several times, whch according to the MC is the usual process. Once fired up both quickly taxiied to their take off point, the Sabre lifting off low and gracefully from the new extended runway, the Hornet screaming by directly in front of the stands in a very short take-of run.

In flight the Sabre is very quiet. It would flash by almost with no sound, only once past would the high pitched whine of it's engine be evident. It is, to me, the jet equilavent of the Spitfire; sleek, manoeuverable, graceful and just so beautifully designed. It's runs were fast and low past the stands (only at 500 feet), the pilot often flicking into a vertical bank as he was passing so that we could appreciate the lovely shape. Then he would pull up into a smooth high climb, rolling off the top to once more swoop down past the display area. After several passes the Sabre withdrew into the outer region to allow the Hornet to show it's wares.

(I have to say here that I am not a particluar fan of modern aircraft. Anything after the mid 50's holds no real interest for me. Bu the Hornet really did open my eyes to modern jets.)

We were warned that the Hornet would only fly at half throttle, anything more and at the low altitude display height the windows in Temora, plus the cars in the car park, would all be broken. Even so what the Hornet could do was astounding. It first made a couple of low passes that made even the Sabre look like it was standing still. Very smooth and reasonably quiet. Then as it was passing the third the pilot savagely jerked it (there was nothing gentle about the action) into a vertical climb and opened the throttle. It literally went up vertical with an almightly roar to, we were told 1500m. It then rolled level, dropped it's nose and screamed past the stands, once more going straight up. Then the Hornet swung away and came back almost in a hover, nose high and oh so slow. It was a brillaint display of both raw power and delicate control. It really drove home that there is no substitue for horsepower.

The final act of the day was for both the Sabre and the Hornet to perform several tight formation fly-by's. You couldn't get a more clear example of just how aircraft have evolved.

It was, as always a very eventful and enjoyable day. I strongly urge anyone who is within three-four hour driving distance to make the effort and attend one of the flying weekends. I've been going since 2002, and I never, ever get tired of it!

Brilliant, and very nicely written.. :). Glad to see they had a good mix of planes up..Speaking of which, does anyone know if theres a Ryan available for Fs9 or FSX, they're one of my favourite planes and i'd love to have one in my hangar...

Martin, there is one for FS9, and I remember that Roger (from Sim-Outhouse) mentioned in a thread that he converted it to work in FSX. He's a friendly chap, if you PM him (you'll find him in the FSx forum at the Outhouse) I'm sure he would be happy to email it to you.  :)

Would you believe it that I never take a camera to Temora.  Back in the early days when it was just getting off the ground I used to snap away like it was going out of fashion. Only problem was that I was always dissatisfied with the photo's. They just didn't do justice to the aircraft in flight, and I'm not skilled enough.

Soooo, as I often go several times a year I simply decided that it wasn't necessary.

Sorry.  :-*

For years I took video and photos at airshows all around, then I had a revelation!  I wasn't seeing the airshow, I was seeing a small pictorial representation on a ground glass screen or 3.5" monitor.  Sure, I could re-live the event later at home but having 'missed' it the first time I began to see less point in it.

Now I make a conscious decision at most airshows to leave the camera gear at home and just enjoy the 360 degree show, not the 4 degree reresentation afforded by my photo gear.

I also spent a memorable weekend at Temora (first time) - and had an absolute ball. Great reports guys.

Have only just got back home, so will attempt to get a few  shots up over the next week.

The only significant difference to the flying programme on the Sunday was the Canberra instead of the Meteor (good to see the old girl in the air again).

We had a weekend pass, but chose to position ourselves on Sunday at the end of Rwy 36, which was being used for many of the takoffs, including the Hornet.

The Hornet's final vertical blast towards space was directly overhead, ... WOW!  What an awesome sight (and feel) to be looking straight up the afterburner output!

Yes, a fabulous weekend .... there is a rumour that  a "Super Hornet" may be there in March.  If it is, I'll definitely be there also.

Cheers

Archived