Hammerfest with the Q400

rubster

Hi all, I'm experiencing the weirdest problem with my newley bought Hammerfest airport. When I load up the q400 it's shows all kinds of strange behavior. When you load up the sim with hammerfest and directly the q400 it's starts spinning like a madman flying up in the air etc. When I load the turbine duke for example this doesn't occur.

So then I loaded in first the piper cub, after that the q400. No spinning occurred. But taking of the strange behaviour becan again. Just flipping over to the right and left.
When I load the q400 with ENTC for example I have no problems. (I thought it had to do with active sky beta update) but that's not it? Anyone some Ideas?

I thought so also. In pictures IRL I saw a q400 in Hammerfest so I thought it can be done ;-). The behaviour already start on the apron though (when loading the plane directly with the scenery) otherwise when taking off.
Maybe I just have to enjoy the scenery with some smaller planes.

Strangely enough, I got the exact/same problem - also with the Q400. Maybe there's a problem with complex aircraft that use functions outside core P3D (MJC, PMDG, QW146 etc.) and that need to initialise.

The classic approach is to always load a default P3D aircraft first (at the problem location) then load up the complex aircraft. I'll see if that works and report back ...

Adam.

Adam I did that and it helps. Only not at takeoff as you can read. But if you would try it and see what happens. I'm happy to know the results.
This is the reason I tested the turbine. Also a plane outside P3D common folders. Tubine works fine.

Yeah, the Q400 would be so weight restricted going in there, and only be able to approach from the south, I seriously doubt you'd ever see one there. Wideroe goes in regularly with their -100, which can handle the steep approach (from the north) and only needs a 3000 ft runway. The minimum for a loaded Q400 is 4000 ft but could maybe do 3500 in a pinch if light. Hammerfest is only 3056 so it would be a bit short for it.

Anyway, yes I've seen the problem as well. When I loaded up out front of the main hangar to the north (where the King Air is sometimes) in the Avro RJ85 (yeah, don't say it, but it WILL do 3,000 ft with only a minor reduction in weight ;) ), I ran into a problem where the thrust levers went to full power and wouldn't come back. I reloaded using their parking position #3 (in front of the terminal) and all was good until I started my U-turn after backtracking to the threshold of 23. Then it went to full power again. Now I suspect I was on the overrun area and on a sloped runway (which is REALLY well done, by the by) and that may be seen by the airplane as a "crash" (i.e. you've gone off the end of the runway), mainly because of the elevation adjustments that would have to be made for this type of design. I'm only guessing but when I re-did that flight again but didn't use the overrun, all was good. I also went in there with the Islander and had no trouble at all at any location, but that was only an end to the flight. I never started a flight from there (I will be though!), so we'll see if that makes any difference. But yeah, there is a little weirdness going on there, but I think we need to do a few more flights before we can call it a bug.

Glenn

1 hour ago, BeaverDriver said:

Anyway, yes I've seen the problem as well. When I loaded up out front of the main hangar to the north (where the King Air is sometimes) in the Avro RJ85 (yeah, don't say it, but it WILL do 3,000 ft with only a minor reduction in weight ;) ),

The power lever of the Q400 did also strange things. Went full power on me too. I fixed this deleting all axis in P3D and run every command through FSUIPC. It sundely binded the power lever on the hotas that was binded to operate the rudder. I had doubt that the scenery has to do with it. But is it coincidence that you also have this problem?

Ruben

Probably not a coincidence. I should have said I'm using it in FSX as I don't have P3D, so there may be a common thread there. I do suspect you have to make really sure your wheels are always firmly on the tarmac/taxiway/runway or you could be in trouble. Stick a wheel on any surface other than those and you may trigger something strange, but I suspect this goes beyond that. As I say, more testing and experimenting is in order before we can say for sure we have a real issue I would suspect.

2 hours ago, rubster said:

Adam I did that and it helps. Only not at takeoff as you can read. But if you would try it and see what happens. I'm happy to know the results.
This is the reason I tested the turbine. Also a plane outside P3D common folders. Tubine works fine.

I started the session at the parking spot (PARKING 3) with some small default P3D aircraft - and then selected the Q400. No problems at all. BTW - I don't think whether the aircraft is installed outside the P3D simobjects folder makes any difference - I meant complex aircraft that use their own flight dynamics outside P3D (as does the MJC Dash).

As a matter of interest, I only *just* managed to gert into the air with the Q400, so I'm not surprised they don't go there in RL!

Also as a matter of interest, it appears that runway/taxi lights ground illumination is based on time-of-day - and not corrected for seasonal diffeences (ie,. it's almost totally dark at this time of the year at mid-day. I wonder whether this is a generic P3D thing or whether the airport scenery has something to do with it.

I know from terrain shaders code that it uses the position of the sun as a guide (instead of time-of-day) - which would be much more accurate for the far northern latitudes. ie. If the sun dips below a certain elevation, then toggle illumination. It'd be great if all P3D lighting used this rule.

Adam.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up this old topic but having just bought it, I must agree.

The limitations of FSX (and I assume P3D ?) means that in Norway, the winter days are very dark - we really need an upgrade to give us runway lights - or even just the PAPis all day - you do it with other airports !!!

It would elevate the airport greatly - metaphorically as well as literally !

Archived