Mesh for my flight sim world

uksfpred

Hi guys, 

I was wondering what mesh do you guys use? (if any)

I have come across meshX, ( http://ninetwopro.com/freemeshx/ )which is actually all free, and was wondering two things

1) is it any good or is it even worth it??  do any of you guys use it ?

and 2) is it compatible with my ORBX products ?

Any advise from you guys before i go mad downloading the entire world of mesh :)

I use Pilots Global Mesh, as it is compatible with ORBX world.  There are many others out there, which would work well, but you sometimes run into airport elevation issues.  Some times you can find resolutions to those, sometimes you have to do your own. 

I have FreeMeshX and I think it's amazing, especially for the 'price'! I'm using it for an around-the-world flight. As I'm now the Middle East some of the terrain features are stunning across the deserts, even where the textures are bland (using FTX Global). So far I've seen very few elevation issues on airports and those I have were very minor.

Download just one region and try it from there. For Australia it offers little-to-no detail over Holger's AU mesh, same for the US terrain compared to FSX default, but for everywhere else it's a night-and-day difference (well, slightly less so for Europe but still an upgrade).

Here are a couple of quick comparison shots I did between default FSX terrain (default textures here too) and FreeMeshX, where one of the regions ended in North Africa.

Martyn

fsx 2015-06-30 00-32-56-002.jpg

fsx 2015-06-30 00-33-43-619.jpg

On 15/12/2016 at 1:32 AM, VH-KDK said:

Another Martyn!:o

Yes indeed!

And last year, I had a meeting at work with two guys from another company and they were both called Martyn - it was probably the first time in history that 3 Martyns had all been in a room together :D

Unfortunately this does not progress the topic of terrain meshes. But with FreeMeshX I'd say you've nothing to lose in trying it, except a bit of bandwidth! It's easy to add in and easy to remove as there's no installer.

Martyn

I'm using FreemeshX with Orbx and haven't seen any issues. FreemeshX doesn't do too much for North America, it brings the rest of the FSX world up to the same LOD level. Some parts of the world see dramatic changes (the Alps is one area that comes to mind). They are supppsed to be working on a higher LOD level NA as well. 

But first of all, Brad, take care of you and recover well. :-)

But to be true, after hanging in Hospital for five months this years, my return to simming took me out of my health issues tunnel quite excellently... :-)

As soon as I can get out of this dam hospital bed , I have the brand new Pilot's world mesh ready to install . Hopefully I can get some 

shots up by the end of the month . 

Cheers

John

Archived