Very poor FPS! :(

s0cks

I noticed a lot of people have said there is very little difference in frame rates between FTX and default FSX. Well, not for me.

Before I could fly over Sydney with exactly the same settings as in the User Manual at a very nice 25-35fps. Averaging around 30fps most of the time. When I swtich back to FTX I get a miserable 12-16fps. Literally half what I used to get. Yes there is quite a lot of buildings in FTX but I didn't expect such a massive hit. Even in rural areas it barely gets above 25fps, with average of around 20fps.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with topographical data. I also have a New Zealand Topo (Roads & Rivers) that places roads, river, lakes, and pylons all in their exact location. When using this I get a MASSIVE fps hit, even though, technically it doesn't add any scenery. I'm having a guess that something similar is happening here.

My system should easily cope:

Quad Core Q6600 @ 3.01GHz

4GB DDR2-800 RAM

8800GT 512MB

Windows Vista 64 Home Premium

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply but that is not it. I have tweaked my fsx.cfg with the max autogen trees and buildings, but short of setting autogen to very low levels it doesn't really help.

To give another example regarding the NZ Topo. With Road Traffic set to 0% I get 16-20fps on a takeoff run from NZAA with the Ultralite. If I disable to the Topo I get 35-38fps. There is something strange going on here.

This is starting to annoy me. I have to go to Sparse Autogen just to get acceptable framerates in the big cities. Can anyone with a similar rig to mine post their average fps around Sydney? On a takeoff from YSSY 34L my framerate drops to 8fps under recommended settings.

it sounds like your system is hunting for models or textures that aren't actually visible to you

i have a similar problem in fs9 where looking at certain models caused my system to hunt for a file on my HDD it didn't find

thus reducing my CPU's performance

if a defrag doens't work i would think the only way to fix the problem would be to do a virgin install of FSX

btw your order number would be helpful as well

Order Number: FSS0004454

I did some testing and found that when flying of Sydney my CPU cores are a bit out of balance:

Core 1: 100%

Core 2: 10%

Core 3: 10%

Core 4: 10%

Hey Nick, is it possible a texture didn't extract properly? Everything looks ok but I see people with same spec systems never dropping below 20fps even in nice areas. This seems understandable to me, seeing as I can fly over default New York at around 20fps and thats one of the toughest places in FSX. There seems to be something amiss for sure.

I am sure another admin posted a guide here on balancing CPU loads

but otherwise yes i believe it is a common texture in all fs scenery that your systems has missed

i would highly recommend an install of both

defrag AGAIN and then come back and tell us how it panned out

Try the Victoria+ CFG tweek I mentioned in this thread (which also contains other info your might find useful...)

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=1256.msg9280#msg9280

Hope it helps.  Your rig looks pretty good.  I believe FSX can only send a limited amount of processing to other cores, so it's probably normal that core 1 is at 100 and the others are low, which is why I think high clock speed on 2 cores is better than an average quad. 

If you run other programs in the background, it might help to set the affinity to another core.

Please note:  I'm no authority on this kind of stuff. :)

Matt.

Ok. Some goodish news. After a complete reinstall, defrag, and a heck of a lot of tweaking I have got it to an acceptable level for now! My rural areas now fly along at extreme speeds and Sydney, which I guess is the biggest city, hovers around 20fps which is good enough for me. I just did a short VFR flight out of Sydney south along the coast and WOW! It's like actually being there! Loving it!

Thanks guys.

Btw, is there anyway to increase the street light density without increasing trees or buildings? I guess not.

P.S. I did an install on my old machine. I was fairly impressed how well FSX ran, not much slower than my new one, but FTX had the same impact as I had on this machine, so I guess it really must just be all those autogen houses. I can't believe some people are getting no fps hit in cities.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Socks,

I have the same set up as you and also found that flying in Sydney my framerate dropped to

about 8 fps. Stutters all the time. When you re-installed, do you first have to un-install

FSX? Or do you just re-install over the top?  I'm new at this as well. When some of the other

members say defrag, I thought that Vista automatically defrags on the go? You also have to un-install

FTX? Then install again?

You say this helped you... it's kind of freeking me out a bit.

Hank

(order number 3558)

Hi Hank,

Yes, I removed FSX SP2, and then uninstalled FSX. You should be able to uninstall SP2 from the Add/Remove Programs and just pop in the FSX disk to uninstall the rest. Then just delete everything in the FSX folder. After that install FSX, SP1, SP2 and FTX. Vista usually schedules to defrag your hard-drive once a week but it may not have. It takes a few hours but its nothing magical. It will help stop stuttering not increase FPS.

Try knocking down the autogen trees to 2500 in the fsx.cfg this seems to help in the cities (perhaps all the garden trees don't help!). Don't get too excited though, after much playing I still only get 15fps-18fps in the real tough areas of Sydney (like looking at the skyline towards the airport with AI traffic turned up). Whatever these people say the number of houses is just massive compared to default and there is just no way it will run as quick. The rural areas should fly along though. Reading between the lines I think most people have autogen turned to normal for smooth flying, which I agree with, and the people who can still push autogen at very dense have immense CPU's.

Anyway, I haven't played much recently. My FSX keeps hanging requiring a hard reboot and it does my head in.

Please note there is no need to install SP1 if you're installing SP2 (SP2 has all the SP1 changes and content in it already).

Are you sure John? ???

I have gone thro the throes of uninstall and reinstall just about everthing this week to get to where I am ::)

Microsoft download site - http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/FlightSimulatorXServicePack2.aspx - definetly says SP1 Must be installed first.

definitely says SP1 Must be installed first.

Yes, you are correct. SP1 is a prerequisite - however, when you install SP2 it will check and if SP1 is not installed it will install it for you. This is how the Acceleration version works, I am not sure if the straight SP2 download works the same way?

Worth a try next time you install though as it won't stuff anything up, it will just give you the warning message.

This has now got me scratching the head for nits?

With so many F**'s and SP*'s running around lately - is there any way to tell easily just what addons/upgrades one has done to FSX? - I am beginning to doubt whether or not I have correctly applied SP1 and/or 2

Yes, go into Uninstall Programs in Control Panel, then find in the left hand pane a clickable for Check Updates (on Vista) I suspect XP is similar.  It will then show you FSX and FSX Acceleration separately and you can uninstall both from there.  It's better than using the disk.  If you do not have acceleration it will show you whether you have SP1 and/or SP2 installed. 

Only Acceleration will install both SP1 and 2.  Otherwise you need to install SP1 and SP2 (a free download) sequentially.

Archived