Unified Landclass has ruined my performance

B77X

With the new unified landclass I am getting 10-15 fps everywhere on the ground. The only way to gain some fps back is to set my slider to unlimited frames, from locked at 30.

Why is locked frame limiter in FSX Accel giving me such poor performance? CPU only using up 35% so it isn't my computer struggling with FSX Accel.

In addition, in climb, cruise, and descent, it alternatives every 30 seconds between smooth fps and dropping to 10-15. This is in the middle of OpenLC Europe, with no airport scenery activated around.  The smooth fps in cruise then dropping happens even with framerates in fsx unlimited, not only locked 30. Locked 30 drops my fps on the ground to very low. Please help. Do I run the migration again? Is there something I can check? Is a fix being worked on? This new landclass system is a disaster that I am worried was barely tested since many people had so many different problems.

I made sure to move my viewpoint in the virtual cockpit when the fps drops, to somewhere not displaying a lot of things, to show it is not my video card or the Nvidia settings causing this. It is something in the fsx system now with the landclass. My CPU cycles are low, the performance tab of task manager shows no stress being put on my computer. I can't explain why the fps drops so much. This has never happened before the landclass system. And I just re-did my fsx settings with a new.cfg file still same problem.

Added 2 example screenshots. first, the fps drops starts as I'm in cruise:

gAkzE3l.jpg

Then go back to some-what normal

SUdCgk2.jpg

I'm kinda glad you brought this up.  I too have experienced really poor performance with the new unified LClookup, primarily over NA.  I had no issues with OpenLC EU whatsoever, and the first part of OpenLC NA (Canada) performed well.  I did a test on Sunday by installing Australia and performing a 2 hour GA flight from YMML (the new version) to Canberra.  The entire flight went as it usually does on my sim, no errors or OOMs.  I am really curious as to what makes OpenLC NA different to cause performance drops, and sometimes OOMs as it has done for me, and this is in P3D, so I feel the OPs pain. :(

All of this could also be due to Vector's interaction, as I don't think it runs in Australia, if you have the option box ticked in the Vector control panel, where as it runs normally everywhere else.  For now, I am enjoying leisurely jaunts down under. :)

5 minutes ago, Maurizio Giorgi said:

Unified LC has no drop in performances, i have FSX Acceleration used in a laptop. Maybe is something related to your pc. I advice to reset your FSX.cfg, you can delete it and let the simulator to build a new one.

I wrote in my reply I have a new fsx.cfg file now. Still the fps drop in cruise, and horrible low fps on ground. I just ran the migration tool again, and performance is still poor. There is something in the new landclass system causing large fps drops. I am flying in Europe with OpenLC. What else can I check please?

The only thing i could advice is to disable one by one the addons in the scenery library and see which is the responsible. It's possible that if there was something not installed correctly, the migration aggravated the situation, but it's only an hypothesys because there is no reason because the new system has an impact on the performance. My pc, works exactly like before, i keep the frame limited to 25 fps, and using the same parameters as before. I made all of my tests mainly flying in Europe.

16 hours ago, Maurizio Giorgi said:

The only thing i could advice is to disable one by one the addons in the scenery library and see which is the responsible. It's possible that if there was something not installed correctly, the migration aggravated the situation, but it's only an hypothesys because there is no reason because the new system has an impact on the performance. My pc, works exactly like before, i keep the frame limited to 25 fps, and using the same parameters as before. I made all of my tests mainly flying in Europe.

In my long reply I did write that all other scenery was disabled, including Orbx regions. Only OpenLC Europe, my departure and arrival airports are active in the scenery library.

If I set unlimited framerates not locked 30, it helps give me some fps back and more smooth, but there are blurries in the surrounding terrain when flying I can see out the window.

This did not happen before the landlcass unification system.

Your migration has certainly some loss. Invoking missing polygon vector entries or textures by the sim generally increases VAS usage and fps drops as ressources are not released forcing the cpu to take care about that

1 hour ago, Richard Bui said:

Your migration has certainly some loss. Invoking missing polygon vector entries or textures by the sim generally increases VAS usage and fps drops as ressources are not released forcing the cpu to take care about that

Ran migration tool again. Same problem, less fps drop but big difference when running locked at 30fps in sim, or unlimited. Still have hiccups in cruise. Is there any thing else I can check? It really slows down in cruise altitude when coming up on cities in OpenLC coverage Europe.

From over 30fps

np43NIY.jpg

to less than half that now

Cuh2HdE.jpg

Back and forth back and forth, smooth flying, then stuttering. I have no airport scenery nearby, I am flying in sparse areas, I should not have this fps problem. How can I see if there are missing textures or other issues?

Do you have your FSX running from an SSD, preferably a dedicated one?

The reason I ask is that with the increasing complexity of FSX/P3D with aircraft, AI, scenery and weather add-ons all claiiming a share of the CPU and GPU, the fastest possible access to data is becoming mandatory for optimum performance.

I do experience some stuttering sometimes in some sceneries and in particular when ASN iand FSUIPC are making demands on the system.  Sometimes, to confirm it is just the level of demands, I save the flight, and later i revisit it with weather off, in a default aircraft, FSUIPC saves disabled etc, and the performance is almost always back to smooth as silk.

I run a 500GB SSD for FSX exclusively.

10 hours ago, John Dow said:

The reason I ask is that with the increasing complexity of FSX/P3D with aircraft, AI, scenery and weather add-ons all claiiming a share of the CPU and GPU, the fastest possible access to data is becoming mandatory for optimum performance.

I do experience some stuttering sometimes in some sceneries and in particular when ASN iand FSUIPC are making demands on the system.  Sometimes, to confirm it is just the level of demands, I save the flight, and later i revisit it with weather off, in a default aircraft, FSUIPC saves disabled etc, and the performance is almost always back to smooth as silk.

Interesting that you bring up ASN.  I really have to wonder if that is the true culprit of a lot of stutters and general performance loss, but to many, it is a necessary evil.  I still use ASN, but haven't heard any feedback on whether AS16 is better or worse for performance.  I've mulled getting it, just for the sake of getting a little better performance.  Outside of weather, performance should be pretty decent as I know ORBX's scenery (aside from airports), shouldn't really degrade performance...at least from what I have experienced.

17 hours ago, John Dow said:

I have FSX Acceleration on a dedicated SSD and ASN is not running, I opened the ASN window and it was "idle" no wx was being injected or downloaded at the time. also in Windows process viewer there were no other processes taking larger percentages, fsx also was not struggling nor the cpu which was barely above 30% usage at the time.

6 hours ago, jmorvay1971 said:

Interesting that you bring up ASN.  I really have to wonder if that is the true culprit of a lot of stutters and general performance loss, but to many, it is a necessary evil.  I still use ASN, but haven't heard any feedback on whether AS16 is better or worse for performance.  I've mulled getting it, just for the sake of getting a little better performance.  Outside of weather, performance should be pretty decent as I know ORBX's scenery (aside from airports), shouldn't really degrade performance...at least from what I have experienced.

I was monitoring all the processes running and ASN was idle not downloading anything at the time. Something was causing a bottleneck and my only guess is the new landclass system hurts performance both on the ground at addon airports taking up a lot of texture memory space and even in cruise when new tiles are being drawn and called for.

51 minutes ago, B77X said:

I was monitoring all the processes running and ASN was idle not downloading anything at the time. Something was causing a bottleneck and my only guess is the new landclass system hurts performance both on the ground at addon airports taking up a lot of texture memory space and even in cruise when new tiles are being drawn and called for.

Yes I can get that.  It's total pressure on the 32 bit OS that is the key.  Already loaded complex weather from ASN will add pressure to the system.  Anyway my point is everyone needs to tailor their FSX/P3D setup to suit themselves, and if it's important for a user to fly the most complex airliners, it's understandable that sacrifices may need to be made in other areas.  ORBX scenery is optimised as far as possible, but even the greatest devs cannot disobey the las of physics that limit the amount of info a 32 bit susytem can process.

1 hour ago, John Dow said:

Yes I can get that.  It's total pressure on the 32 bit OS that is the key.  Already loaded complex weather from ASN will add pressure to the system.  Anyway my point is everyone needs to tailor their FSX/P3D setup to suit themselves, and if it's important for a user to fly the most complex airliners, it's understandable that sacrifices may need to be made in other areas.  ORBX scenery is optimised as far as possible, but even the greatest devs cannot disobey the las of physics that limit the amount of info a 32 bit susytem can process.

At cruise altitude with no weather being injected and downloaded, why is it the fault of a 32bit system and ASN? Something is obviously wrong with textures being called with the new landclass system. If FSX was struggling there would be higher CPU usage than 35%.

Well to test, I would try a flight in a default FSX plane with weather set to clear (no ASN) and traffic programs etc all turned off.  Beyond that, I can't suggest any other way to gauge the impact of the complex add-ons over and above the impact of the ORBX scenery.

On 8/24/2016 at 11:23 PM, John Dow said:

Well to test, I would try a flight in a default FSX plane with weather set to clear (no ASN) and traffic programs etc all turned off.  Beyond that, I can't suggest any other way to gauge the impact of the complex add-ons over and above the impact of the ORBX scenery.

There is no way to see if I am missing Orbx textures or libraries, or if FSX is looking for textures and libraries that are not there? Or if the new unified Landclass system is causing a slowdown?

Did you run the "Migration Troubleshootr.exe" tool to see if some files are missing ?  The tool is located in your :\P3Dv3\ORBX\Troubleshooter folder...

If you are using NVidia Inspector, try to turn it off and test again...

Ran migration tool again, installed latest library file, the constant freezing is gone, but the low fps remains, especially on climb out and descent. There is something to this new landclass system that ruins performance for me.

On 8/29/2016 at 6:14 AM, Richard Bui said:

Do you have same loss if you use a basic aircraft ?

Yes it does not matter the type of aircraft I use. I have not used default by all my payware that once worked fine has the same problem.

The trade off I did not have before is, run unlocked fps and see more blurries on the ground texture, or run locked at 30fps and get much worse fps, almost half in some situations.

I formatted and installed Win10 Pro. Clean install. Orbx Vector/Global/OpenLC Canada/Americas. I still have the same performance problems on the ground, approach/departure, and at cruise. I installed the Steam Edition. Like before I have to select unlimited framerates in the game menu, but that only gives me a little fps boost. I should not be seeing 18-24fps at cruise and I never have before the new unified system. Please tell me what I have to do to prove this performance problem is not my computer and the fault of the landclass system.

Funny I literally just posted something similar. 

I totally agree with this statement...

The trade off I did not have before is, run unlocked fps and see more blurries on the ground texture, or run locked at 30fps and get much worse fps, almost half in some situations.

Thing is my performance woes are focussed on ORBX ENG and SCO where I'm guaranteed to get the blurries running unlimited.  If I lock frames I don't get blurries but performance is suffered.  I too didn't have this issue before the unified lookup migration.

So something is definitely going on.

2 hours ago, sidfadc said:

Funny I literally just posted something similar. 

I totally agree with this statement...

Thing is my performance woes are focussed on ORBX ENG and SCO where I'm guaranteed to get the blurries running unlimited.  If I lock frames I don't get blurries but performance is suffered.  I too didn't have this issue before the unified lookup migration.

So something is definitely going on.

After my reinstall of a reinstall of JUST Global, and all Regions for Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England (shouldn't have installed 1.50 as it forced the migration) and then flying a route from EGPF to EGGD with default weather, I found performance was degraded, so I have to walk back my assumptions about ASN.  I reinstalled and ran ASN with another flight, same area and performance was the same.  I get 30's above FL80, but mid 20's at FL40 and below.  Flying past London, I get stutters, serious ones so God forbid if I just LOOK at London passing by and the frames drop.  I haven't experienced any OOMs as I am reluctant to reinstall Vector (and will probably OOM with that installed).

I am beginning to miss that Activate Group button in FTXC. :(

Archived