FTX Norway, weird lighting at ENSD, severe FPS drop

Redglyph

Hello,

I recently bought FTX Norway (together with ENNK), and noticed severe FPS drop near some of the region airports, among others ENEV, ENKB and ENSD, no matter which aircraft I use.

For ENSD there are also many floating lights above the water (see screenshots), I'm pretty sure it's not intended or realistic. Landing is almost impossible due to the crawling performance near the runway, probably about 5 FPS, which I never had in another region installed on my computer (England or North California), either with payware airports or FTX region ones. The CPU usage seems to peak also.

For the other two, the performance drop was mostly at "night" (the simulation date was June 22nd, so there is technically no night), so could it be a problem with the lights?

I'm using P3D v3.2 on Win7 x64, GPU nVidia GTX 980 Ti.

Diagnostic report ot6b801518199e3b580273e9997f0dbed2 contains all the details of the installation.

Thanks

2016-8-19_22-38-39-478.jpg

2016-8-19_22-39-23-914.jpg

It's also happening during the day when the lights are out. Something at the South of the airport makes it terribly stuttering, otherwise I normally have 50 FPS or more around this place. It seems to happen only when in the air, above the runway. I landed from the East on 27, and taxied the whole way to the end to U-turn and wasn't experiencing the problem so much, though looking to the South certainly lowered the framerate a bit.

Let me know if you can reproduce this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

the "overextended" approach lights have been reported below and are noted as a possible fix in a future service pack: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/89145-runway-lights-error-enso-norway/

Not sure about the performance issues. It doesn't seem like anyone else is able to reproduce it but you could search our forums for posts about the respective airports. I do seem to recall that a user of Southern California noticed a performance improvement when deactivating local airport ground polygon files. These are a files that add custom apron or taxiway markings and shouldn't have any noticeable impact but perhaps it's worth a try. In NOR only four airports utilize them: ENEV, ENHD, ENOV, and ENTO. These files are named ADE_FTX_NOR_{ICAO}_GP.bgl and located in \ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_NOR_05_SCENERY\scenery; renaming the extension to .OFF would deactivate them.

Other than that you could try to determine the specific element(s) that cause the drop in fps. Usually, the best way to do so is to selectively deactivate autogen, scenery objects (scenery density), AI and road traffic, water effects, etc. Obviously, you would want to run these tests with all other local third-party add-ons deactivated.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks, but the link you provide shows a post of December 2014! If it had been reported, it must have been forgotten since, otherwise the problem would have been solved :) 

Performance-wise, I've already done a few tests by disabling traffic and other features but without success.

I have a possible lead though, I've read a few times those performance hits were sometimes more noticeable when the sun was low, which must happen more often in typical user flights in Norway. The fact it's only a specific angle is weird, I'll have to check whether it's the same I had problems with at ENSD and ENEV (both made it almost impossible to land safely).

I just reported a performance issue in Northern Scotland, something apparently to do with effects level.  As per Holger's suggestion, performance jumped back to normal when special effects turned down to minimum.  Not really what I want to do, but that was the problem.  Perhaps Redglyph, you can try the same thing here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've already bought for several hundreds of dollars in Orbx scenery, and if they are not willing to fix problems or even respond to queries, it's probably time for me to stop buying their products (which I did).

Thanks for the offer though, that's very kind. I'll have a look soon :)

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Richard Lincoln said:

Hello Redglyph,

We hear you loud and clear, I will follow this up and try and get some answers for you. Please be patient in the mean time. Thanks

Thanks for that! :)

Don't misinterpret my posts, FTX Norway is great, but having icon airports like this one in such a weird state is a bit sad if it can easily be fixed. Even if it's an FTX airport and not a specific add-on... I can't afford to buy all of them, though I've already bought quite a deal from you guys.

Archived