problems reloading on new PC

bailout3

Hi..recently had a PC built by NCIX..1TB  SamsungSSD labelled c drive and 1TB HD for data in D drive Win 10 Home GTX1070 graphics Z170A motherboard etc. First thing Down loaded internet download manager which showed up on desktop. Next the 3 dvd FSX gold edition. Everything seemed normal but no icon on desktop and not listed in programs. Had to search "Everything" and it came up. Clicked on it and loaded instantly. Everything seems normal. Had rudder pedals to install and joystick etc. Loaded up a generic a/c and all ok. I decided to try loading Global base in c drive. In the download it came up with about 10 sections..none of them an exe. so decided to click on them anyway. I dont know much about these things but I think they were zip files. In any FSX addon it always asks to confirm the path but this didn't. So that came to a halt. I decided next to try and install a previous purchase of Carenando C208HD. again it didnt ask for the path or location but I proceded anyway. It did download the a/c in to FSX but came as 1 aircraft ..white with no markings. Everything else worked and looked ok inside. I dont understand whats happening but none of this is normal. This is the 3rd PC I have reinstalled FSX ..the other two were no problem. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I think it would be a very good idea to open Windows File Explorer and change the view options.

You will find a setting "Hide extensions for known file types", make sure that the box is not ticked.

Then you will be able to see the extensions and distinguish between .exe files and other types.

ok I will try that thanks. I also read that I should right click FSX  then properties ( which was there) on my dvd drive but then it said to go to compatibility tab ( it was not there ) It said to run in compatibility mode and choose win8 ..I uninstalled FSX gold edition from my C drive SSD . Should have I tried to right click on the FSX icon and followed these instructions or does it have to be done before FSX is installed on my PC? 

FSX actually does fly fine on my new PC , but the addons dont seem to be compatible. I read somewhere that Win10 uses DX12 which conflicts with FSX . Anyone else with ideas about trying to run FSX in win8?

any help is appreciated.

FSX works perfectly well with Windows 10 and does not need to be in compatability

mode for any other operating system.

Also, if you right click on fsx.exe and select Properties, you will indeed see the

Compatibility tab. If you do not, you have not right clicked on an .exe file.

Direct X 12 is backwards compatible with all versions of Direct X back to Direct X 9

Thank you for the above information. I have read so many things in various forums it made things more confusing. I will have to work my way through this but it wont be easy with my limited PC skill so I will probably be looking for more help.

One more thing..when I reinstall an airport or region do I need to look for the library that went with that scenery or can I just download the latest library now?

Thanks

Archived