YMML V3 - greedy grass

paulmidd

With the new YMML V3, I'm having the same problem that I had with V2 - the extraordinary VAS usage of the 3D grass. I'm measuring about 1Gb used by the grass alone. Sitting on the runway in a PMDG 737, I can OOM right away. With 3D grass switched off, the VAS usage is very reasonable.

Paul Middleton

YMML -  FSS0509419

Yep, I'm guessing the grass is designed for about two generations of computer processing power down the line. I don't actually miss it when i turn it off, which is the only way i can get smooth performance.

I'm looking into a 3.1 patch which re-does the grass. I think this is legacy V1 or V2 grass which has not aged well. I just need to find a developer who I can contract to do the work and we'll release it as a v3.1 free patch.

Meantime, just disable the grass, it's not worth the pain it causes.

8 hours ago, John Venema said:

I'm looking into a 3.1 patch which re-does the grass. I think this is legacy V1 or V2 grass which has not aged well. I just need to find a developer who I can contract to do the work and we'll release it as a v3.1 free patch.

Meantime, just disable the grass, it's not worth the pain it causes.

Really great to hear about a patch.

I had to chuckle when I saw this thread.  Earlier today I loaded a flight out of YMML v2, so I could take a couple screenshots, before buying v3.  It was my first YMML flight since changing to P3D and it quickly resulted in my first P3D OOM.  I saw this thread, disabled the grass, and then was able to get around the pattern without any problems.

Now that I've got some YMML v2 screenshots for nostalgia, I can go get v3. :)

I would like to add that using the iFly 747 at YMML V3 is a revelation with far better resource usage, the most I got VAS upto was 3.4 doing circuits which I wasn't able to do in the previous version.  I should add I have ORBX YMEN, YMMB and YMAV all active as well so it's probably one of the most detailed and resource hungary settings having 4 ORBX airports active in such close proximity to each other.  Obviously 3D grass was turned off in the YMMLv3 settings but I don't care.

Archived