R00208 - Beaches along Southern East Coast

I reported this apparently in the wrong forum so I will reiterate it here, hopefully not with the same respons.

Beaches from Maryland, Virginia, and the Carolinas have relatively wide beaches with only sparse areas that are not. Hopefully we can get this fixed at some point.

A-view-of-the-island-above-Ocracoke-Inlet-looking-northeast.jpg

6 hours ago, BBQSteve said:

I reported this apparently in the wrong forum so I will reiterate it here, hopefully not with the same respons.

Beaches from Maryland, Virginia, and the Carolinas have relatively wide beaches with only sparse areas that are not. Hopefully we can get this fixed at some point.

A-view-of-the-island-above-Ocracoke-Inlet-looking-northeast.jpg

Is that areal shot or in sim ? thanks 

6 minutes ago, BBQSteve said:

Aerial to show the Island and how the beaches are along the Carolinas, etc.

Also to show the way the LC should look for Ocracoke. The airport is mid right.

So its real picture ?

Sim should look like this not sure why it cant

Take, for example one of Jarrad's airports featuring very many square kilometers of photo real scenery with handplaced

scenery objects and autogen, then apply that to the rest of the planet and you should be able to see that not only would the

amount of work involved be colossal but the amount of disc space required would be prohibitive.

I suspect that no company would be willing to take this on and that the cost and subsequent price would also be prohibitive.

Other than that, no reason not to do it.:)

I'm not saying it should look like this exactly, but things like land classs and beaches should be a can do. Not all of us live in the rockies or west coast which seems to look pretty good and receive a LOT of attention.

Ocracoke Island NC and Beaches.jpg

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Other than that, no reason not to do it.:)

LOL Good one Nick - didnt realize it would be that big a deal adding some coast line such as the nice photoreal stuff you mentioned - yes that would be ideal everywhere - thought it would have been a global change of sorts - guess the hand placing every texture would rule that out

A couple of thoughts on this. It's possible that for these narrow barrier islands that even the resolution used in OpenLC NA is just not enough. Realistic beaches would have to be added in Vector. And even if that happened, those barrier islands are at the whim of nature, as are many Atlantic beaches and they may not look the same tomorrow as they do today. Below is Ocracoke Island on Google Earth and then  a broader bird's eye view in TmfViewer.

Ocracoke Google Earth.jpg

Ocracoke OpenLC NA.jpg

If you want beaches, then you need to buy a competing vector product like I have, its been done that is what I am telling you and you will have beaches galore which can be turned on an off by a configuration interface.

2 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Your third screen capture has houses in the sand.

Yes that is true.  That is because the autogen is from Orbx and placed against where the shoreline is in relation to its scenery layer and the other product U....T.....X has mapped out vector beaches in relation to its vector information, the two don't line up....sort of looks like beach houses...lol. 

What I haven't tired is shutting of the other vector scenery and running only Orbx Vector.  I see there is a beaches tick box for turning beaches on and off.  But they would only show if they are mapped beach polygons in the first place.

1 hour ago, BBQSteve said:

We actually do have houses in the sand, and most near the shore are sandy with sawgrass vegetation,

Well there you go then.

However, if one as a bit of patience, placing some excludes along offending areas would remove the autogen.  I might try that but I'm busy sorting out what happened to cause OOMs after installing Vector 1.4.  Arggg.

7 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Well and truly off topic, why not revert to vector 1,35 and wait for the problems with 1,40 to be attended to?

While off topic its an important statement....Actually your suggestion is a great idea Nick.  I would do it if I had any idea how to "revert". Where do I find instruction on this reversion or how do I do it? And, from you statement, this is goods news to me, that there are problems being attended to in v1.4, I had not known that and am wondering what problems are being attended to.  I say this because I spend four hours this morning running all sorts of tests, setting adjustments and various manipulations to find out why I suddenly have major OOMs in places I should be screaming fast. After the unified situation, this has resulted in considerable frustration again.

I will say this though, I'm starting to setup my P3Dv3 as we speak, hopefully much will be sorted out by this move.

The method is a little crude.

Download 1,30 from your FSS account page, delete the FTX_VECTOR folder and run the installer.

Then collect the update to 1,35 from the support page and install that.

I cannot speak for the Vector team, only that numerous customers have reported problems, also with

missing roads and there is no sign of a fix.

47 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

The method is a little crude.

Download 1,30 from your FSS account page, delete the FTX_VECTOR folder and run the installer.

Then collect the update to 1,35 from the support page and install that.

I cannot speak for the Vector team, only that numerous customers have reported problems, also with

missing roads and there is no sign of a fix.

OK Nick that sounds like it should do the job, thanks....I'll try this because it can't hurt and might actually help.  Odd as it is I deactivated the vector layers from the library looking to see if that made any difference and it did not, which I found odd.  I wonder if there are files added outside of the vector layers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived