Buildings in water on the Caribbean coasts.

Jon Clarke

I asked a question yesterday in the OLC forum regarding my experience of buildings in the water on my journey through the Caribbean islands with the new OLCNA. Sylvain of orbx explained that this was not a fault of either OLCNA nor Vector as OLCNA was based on default shorelines. 

"This is not a Vector issue nor OpenLC. 

I just checked in Google Earth: the road and the shorelines are at their correct location. The runway is about 300 meters off it's real location. The cranes and the power station were placed according to default shorelines which are not accurate in this case."

Having reported the problem based in Jamaica in the above topic, I found that the same situation happens in Barbados and also around Havana Cuba. If you disable Vector buildings appear on land as they should, but appear in the water with Vector enabled.

So is OLCNA best used without Vector enabled in these regions? You lose all the accurate shoreline detail of course. My understanding was that prior to it's release it was mentioned that OLCNA was being enhanced with new vector data but we would be advised to run Vector as well to get the full benefit. If OLCNA was based on the Default ( and incorrect in reality) shorelines then obviously those of us using Vector will see these anomalies. Is there any other way of curing this problem? It does detract from the scenery.

I know it is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things especially with the superb OLCNA but appreciate any suggestions.

As far as I could tell from testing parts of the Caribbean scenery, Vector data is patchy.  In some places it's detailed, in others it's very blocky.  I guess as time goes on better data will become available, but for the moment I suspect it's due to information available.

Many thanks John for your reply. I understand. A shame really, as island hopping in that area was something i was looking forward to. A couple of years ago I had suggested maybe ORBX could take a look at doing a full fat of the West Indies from Trinidad north through to the Bahamas. That would alleviate the current visual anomalies. I can wait and hope !

Archived