Are there supposed to be repeated textures in full regions?

NeilG

2016-7-28_10-25-9-267.jpgHello all

What your seeing below with co-ordinates in the corner, is a flight out of Fairchild in NRM. The flight was originally designed to go south east down to Redding which takes us through flat agricultural land. Just to be clear I have NRM and CRM installed and on the trouble shooter it is indicated that they migrated correctly. But I can't remember ever coming across repeating textures like this before. These textures repeat for miles down through the CRM region on a flat agricultural valley basin between two rows of the rocky mountains. Anyway, if someone could tell me whether or not this is normal and I just have missed it in the past I would be grateful. If it is normal I will just have to put up with it, but I was sure that full regions did not have such repeating patterns. Thanks all

Neil.

2016-7-28_10-25-9-267.jpg

2016-7-28_10-24-38-476.jpg

2016-7-28_10-24-59-925.jpg

2016-7-28_10-25-9-267.jpg

Hi Neil,

it's impossible to completely avoid repeating patterns when working with "generic" landclass tiles as the FTX Regions do, simply because there's a limited amount of unique classes and variants available for each given landuse type. We do create many more locally unique classes than default FSX/P3D and place them manually to minimize patterning as much as possible. Nevertheless, repetition does tend to be most prevalent in expansive urban or agricultural areas on flat terrain, as in your screenshot. In fact, if you look at the same area in a satellite view on Bing or Google Maps the real-world pattern of the fields looks quite repetitive as well; see https://goo.gl/maps/xdb1w8qKXzN2

In short, it's not an issue with the migration.

Cheers, Holger

Google Maps satellite view of Columbia Plateau E of Spokane.jpg

Thanks for the reply both. Yes, I understand. I have always used low and slow over ORBX but have recently become absorbed in military jets. These gain height quickly and I think I simply had not noticed previously what is now clear to see. Nevertheless, terrain config file has been attached and any advice on anything that can be done to make things better would be gratefully received.

Thanks again

Neil

terrain.cfg.txt

Hi,

Just to confirm to you that I see the same textures as you in this area. I'm not convinced either that these are what should be displayed they do look very blocky and some what out of place.

I also have a similar problem in the UK region which I posted here where the textures there look even more out of place with what I would expect to see there.

This area in NRM just looks to be a similar problem again. Although in this case I don't know if this area has always looked like this or not as I've never actually flown here before.

Archived