Orbx Weather 1

Guest J van E

Guest J van E

A few shots with Orbx Weather 1 loaded. I have to say that the lower visibility is quite nice...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It somehow becomes even more realistic, like the mountains in the distance in this next shot: they look just real to me! You really have to see it in motion though... ;)

Posted Image

Not a beautiful shot, but I just wondered... WHO PUT THAT TREE THERE!!!  :-[;D

Posted Image

After seeing these shots, I've taken to reducing my visibility as well.  The upshot is that I am getting better frame rates as well as more realistic views... A win/win

Thanks for posting, much appreciated.

After seeing these shots, I've taken to reducing my visibility as well.  The upshot is that I am getting better frame rates as well as more realistic views... A win/win

Thanks for posting, much appreciated.

Look at it this way maxter, in real life if you are lucky you can manage to look what 10 to 15 miles ? sow why put up unlimited visibility in the flightsim ;)

I have mine set to 30 -40 miles and that works splendid :)

Some notes about vis in Australia, at least from my experience in Victoria, NSW and Tasmania.

Depsite having some of the bluest, cleanest skies in the world, the same cannot be said for Australian visibility. Even on a crisp cold winters day with a 10-15KT wind, you will struggle to see further than 60-70km on any day. There are a number of reasons for this. One of them is the evaporation from the eucalyptus tree leaves, which produce a blue haze as the oil disseminates into the atmosphere. Given that you are never far away from hundreds of sq. kilometres of eucalyptus forest at any given location, this blue haze is very dominant. In fact the Blue Mountains W of Sydney (in AU GOLD) are named after this effect.

I live about 700FT above sea level, so when I leave home and enter the freeway, I can see almost the entire 11,000km sq. of Melbourne in front of me. I count 5-6 days per year when I can see from Mt. Macedon in the west to Mt. Dandenong in the east clearly. That is about 90km across. Most days the Dandenongs are only faintly visible, with clear vis to about 50km. Melbourne also suffers from heavy pollution on warm mornings, such as we had this morning with the city buildings completely covered in smog. This is due to still wind overnight and warmer temps in the morning.

I think if you set your vis to about 40-50km you are getting a very true indication of local condition. In winter, you can extend it to 70km on some day, and rarely to 80km.

Yours in vis education  ;D

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Thanks Prof Koorby, for that.  Yes, even here in the West we have the visibility problems related to fine dust in the air, Conservation and Land Management scrub burn off's and also smog closer to the Perth metro area.

Thanks for your tips and looking forward to the next lecture on the mating habits of the blue spotted wild tit in sub tropical climates.  :D

Cheers

Archived