I want to restore to before migration

dc10boy

Hi all, first I'm really mad!  I'm using FTX global 1.4 and installed the Portland cityscape scenery. FTX central updated on me before I could stop it, and would not let me opt out of the  LC migration. My once perfect FSX rig now suffers from blurries, mixed bag textures and a triple fold increase in load times.Also, I once had FTX freeware airports installed and removed it. FTX central will not stop adding it to the scenery.cfg even though it is not on the system!It also erases any custom terrain.cfg mods made for other sceneries. I want to completely remove FTX global from my FSX, go back to my old GEX set, and then reinstall FTX Global 1.4 NOT updated and NO MIGRATION.How do I accomplish this? Why is there no uninstall program on an update that can (and will) wreck FSX machines?
How can I accomplish removing the new FTX and reinstalling the FTX Global I bought at the end of May? I have a complete FSX backup, what needs to be restored ? What other files are changed? How can I make it stop trying to add the freeware airports I no longer have?
Thank you

Stan
Order Number: 493063

First of all if you install GEX and then install Global it will overwrite all GEX's.

They're very aware of what you describe and are working as fast as they can on fixing this.

Please have patience as I'm going through similar problems.

I understand Jack, GEX is what I used before I bought FTX global at the end of May.I just hope to go back to square one, reinstall FTX global1.40 as it was.I had a perfect rig before the FTXC update and scenery migration.
Believe me Doogle, if I can get it back, those update boxes will never be checked again.

I do apologize for my anger and loss of patience on this.I've just had to invest hours recovering from another  update I didn't want by a different developer.Had I been made aware of what these library, and FTXC updates did, I wouldn't have touched them with a 10 foot pole.I work behind the scenes beta testing and tech advising for several developers, and I'm stuck up a creek without a paddle here.I didn't look at these forums or hear the uproar until it was too late.

I guess you're right there.I do have a complete recent FSX backup, I just need to find out what directories I need to delete/restore from back up to undo the FTXC changes.Where are the LC look up tables? Is it all within the FSX directory? or Did this update get into the system registry for changes?  can I just delete the ORBX, and scenery directories and restore from the backup (using the old GEX set) then reinstall ORBX FTX global without updating libraries or FTXC and be back in business?I SO wish there was a changelog to show me exactly what this update did.Up to now nobody seems to know .That is the most frustrating part.

Every ones setup is different, I don't have the answers to your questions, and I wouldn't count on getting any accurate enough info to act on anyways lol....you will just mess things up more...I have an Acronis backup and my FSX on a separate drive, so I can just do a restore of both my OS and FSX to before migration without worrying about all that, if I want to. How is your FSX backed up?

Or just be patient and wait for the fixed FTX Central update??

I've got the whole FSX directory backed up on an external drive as recent as May 1.I'm not sure I even trust a fix anymore as my install is just roached.I just want to go back to what I had last week. I was so happy with that. my load times have tripled, frame rates cut nearly in half, most textures are blurry and random flashing/ mismatched textures all across the Continental US.I'm hoping all the changes were accomplished inside the FSX directory and restoring the backup will fix the mess. As of now, nobody from ORBX has told me what was done, so I'm not sure.I need to get Acronis. and back up the OS more frequently
My patience is gotten pretty thin.I think I may just begin the reinstall process Monday and hope the OS is unaffected.I just don't see a quick fix to this due to the myriad of different problems out there.I'm working on 2 FS projects and I'm dead in the water.
Stan

1 minute ago, dc10boy said:

I've got the whole FSX directory backed up on an external drive as recent as May 1.I'm not sure I even trust a fix anymore as my install is just roached.I just want to go back to what I had last week. I was so happy with that. my load times have tripled, frame rates cut nearly in half, most textures are blurry and random flashing/ mismatched textures all across the Continental US.I'm hoping all the changes were accomplished inside the FSX directory and restoring the backup will fix the mess. As of now, nobody from ORBX has told me what was done, so I'm not sure.I need to get Acronis. and back up the OS more frequently
My patience is gotten pretty thin.I think I may just begin the reinstall process Monday and hope the OS is unaffected.I just don't see a quick fix to this due to the myriad of different problems out there.I'm working on 2 FS projects and I'm dead in the water.
Stan

I feel your pain, you sound very distressed about this man.  But I'm gonna tell you what Stew told me, take a deep breath.

Ben and the guys really are working on this and I have every confidence that little by little and slowly they will have this fixed.

It will take time.

There's a lot of people in the same boat, please don't think I'm preaching, all I'm saying is don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

It will be fixed maybe not as fast as you'd like but it will be fixed.

Orbx has too much at stake here to let this stand the way it is.

Best regards.

Jack

Yep  I wouldn't  do anything   as  of  yet   with abit of  luck  could be  a  simple  fix   compared  to reinstalling  everything  which most likely  cause  more issues, unless  you  do the o/s  reinstall as  well.  

7 minutes ago, dc10boy said:

Stan

I feel your pain too. Hang in there. You are not alone.

Thanks guys, I know I'm not alone, this is pretty widespread.I plan on renaming/saving the current install and restoring the GEX based backup.I want to see if that fixes anything, and figure out if this update extended outside of the FSX directory.My goal is to take it back to before unified lookup, reinstall ORBX global and never update.

Thanks guys, I know I'm not alone, this is pretty widespread.I plan on renaming/saving the current install and restoring the GEX based backup.I want to see if that fixes anything, and figure out if this update extended outside of the FSX directory.My goal is to take it back to before unified lookup, reinstall ORBX global and never update.

You do realize that this is an exercise in futility?  What's the point in installing GEX when you're just going to turn right around and write over GEX with Global?

I'd go have a few beers and relax and let them do their magic but that's just me.

Jack.

Not really futility Jack.I had GEX. At the end of May I bought ORBX global as a texture upgrade and I use UTX for landclass/vector. I installed global and loved it.If I can establish that restoring the old FSX install with GEX install fixes the perf./blurry issues, I can then install Global,not allow updates or LC migration in FTXC and hopefully be where I was before the updates.With a beautiful high performance sim.

Not really futility Jack.I had GEX. At the end of May I bought ORBX global as a texture upgrade and I use UTX for landclass/vector. I installed global and loved it.If I can establish that restoring the old FSX install with GEX install fixes the perf./blurry issues, I can then install Global,not allow updates or LC migration in FTXC and hopefully be where I was before the updates.With a beautiful high performance sim.

Ok, but are you going to do this after say a full Acronis (what I use) restore?  Because if you already did the migration there's no way to go back to the "Apply Group" Central so it's possible you might still have problems.

Again, you can do what you want to do and it sounds like a lot of work to me but my personal advice is to do what I'm going to do.  Wait it out and let them resolve it.  

But keep us informed.

I'm curious to see how it works out.

21 minutes ago, dc10boy said:

I also have an additional Acronis cloned set of SSD's from my initial build that I can just plug in at anytime, and an Acronis backup of a clean vanilla FSX with all my controllers setup if things get bad enough lol...sounds like something you should also invest in to minimize your frustrations for the future :)  Then you don't have to worry about beating up on developers anymore, your FS situation will always be in your own hands:):)

4 minutes ago, dc10boy said:

What version of Acronis do you guys use? I plan on doing a drive image after this is sorted.

Just using it to backup and shut down now, will have to get back to you on it.  It was pre-installed on my Jetline PC.

10 hours ago, dc10boy said:

What version of Acronis do you guys use? I plan on doing a drive image after this is sorted.

Acronis True Image. The information on the latest (2016) version is here:   http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/  .

There is also a very good freeware offer from Aomei here:   http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html  .

While I'm now back to using Acronis (I've found it easier to use for single-file restores) I've also used the free program from Aomei so I can vouch for the fact that it works as advertised for making and restoring drive images.

Doug

One thing to remember on the ransom-ware issue.....NEVER leave your backup drive plugged in when you're not using it for a backup/restore. Some of the latest ransom-ware such as CERBER will encrypt data on any drive it can access - including all your backup data. If the drive's not plugged-in the bad guys can't access it and, therefore, can't block your access to the backup files when you need them.

Doug

1 minute ago, Triplane said:

One thing to remember on the ransom-ware issue.....NEVER leave your backup drive plugged in when you're not using it for a backup/restore. Some of the latest ransom-ware such as CERBER will encrypt data on any drive it can access - including all your backup data. If the drive's not plugged-in the bad guys can access it and, therefore, can't block your access to the backup files when you need them.

Doug

Yes, the most vile and despicable filth in the PC world.  It's a shame we have to have people like this.

13 minutes ago, dc10boy said:

JS07 I saw in another post you're  a retired  A &P? I'm  a current mech for AA at ORD.

Yup, PM if you wanna talk about it.

Hope things are going well for you today.  What are your plans?  Just curious.

I think Monday , I'll  restore  from backup and try to troubleshoot down what caused  my issues. JV told me what was changed and I don't think  it's  that bad.I'm  hopeful I can be back up and running  quickly. 

3 minutes ago, dc10boy said:

I think Monday , I'll  restore  from backup and try to troubleshoot down what caused  my issues. JV told me what was changed and I don't think  it's  that bad.I'm  hopeful I can be back up and running  quickly. 

Good for you!  JV's a good guy.

I'm hopeful too that these crazy granite what I call melting walls which kind of morph when I get near them will be resolved.  I'm on the home stretch for installing all my Orbx stuff into P3D but then there's a lot of areas I want to look at and see what anomalies I see like the other guys.

Glad you're hopeful, don't give up.  We'll have the same quality we had as before soon enough.

Archived