( UPDATED ) Jun 18 - A little project im working on (home cockpit 8pics)

VH-JLC

Gidday!!

Well after weeks of deliberation and humming a RRR'ing to day I took the bull buy the horns an built it,

This is stage 1 of my home cockpit

Everything brought ordered an organised!!

Posted Image

Base assembled

Posted Image

Seat mounted

Posted Image

Rudder pedals bolted into place

Posted Image

Screen mounted

Posted Image

Yoke and speakers all mounted

Posted Image

The aftermath

Posted Image

Her new home in the study

Posted Image

Like I said this is stage 1,

Later on I will be buy/make switches to mount above my head and a throttle quadrant an landing gear leaver to come into play too!

I might get these from Goflight if the factory price works out a lot better,

Best feature that came out of laziness is that she bounces an wobbles a little bit, I originally intended to have more bracing but found she is stable enough and the bit of bounce in her is just "realism"  :P

Cheers Josh!!

heheeh sweet! When i saw the first shot of pvc piping on the ground i thought oh no !!!!

But it didnt come up to bad for a quickie hey! So im thinking you cant weld? otherwise it may have been better to make it out of steel

But looks sweet!

Cheers buddy,

But Ah yes I can weld I worked at smorgan steel a few years back MIG welding structural steel cages for about 6months! (I can MIG, TIG, FUSION and OXY weld)

I went for 40mm PVC pressure pipe not the 40mm standard drainage pipe, this stuff is thicker and stronger, I was trying to keep the weight down and plus its stage 1 I will build more onto this and it is far easier to cut another "TEE" in than grind and weld something...

And like I said in the last part of what I wrote

Best feature that came out of laziness is that she bounces an wobbles a little bit, I originally intended to have more bracing but found she is stable enough and the bit of bounce in her is just "realism"  :P :P

Wow, great stuff, i'm waiting for one of my kids to move out to free up some space  :D  so that I can do something like that

Well done and thanks for the ideas...  If I was to do the same I would make a platform so I can fit 3 x 22" wide screens across the front with a TH2G.

Cheers,

Very nice....and the PVC's a great idea...means you can move it when needed without a hernia...Hey, that means you could haul it out into the backyard for "true weather effects :) "..."think i'll fly the Tigermoth today, just point it into the breeze and hey presto...."

Great work....

Thaks guys much appreciated!!

Coming together nicely.. How much did the seat set you back?

Seat was a cheap AU $130..

Martin,

Some one said that the fan you see in the last pic could be moved to the front and turned on high to simulate having your head out the window LOL  ;D ;D ;D

MMM, that would be cool, just get someone to throw the occasional handful of bugs and insects into the slipstream and a light spray of engine oil every now and then for that genuine "front seat" Moth experience....

HMMM, i like the idea of the vacuum cleaner....i have a mad passion for Vampires (speaking of which, did anyone see it at the last Point Cook airshow? i was on the other side of the maintenance hangar when it was winding up..almost brought a tear to the eye)........maybe that would work on my next hop....Jeez the dogs are going to love that :)....

VH-JLC can I offer a suggestion............... this will add strength to where you sit and make for a more solid build. Where you have the "T" fittings coming of the main bearer to support the seat I suggest you replace all four with "+" fittings and on the bottom bearer also. Then place in some studs and all your weight is then supported with no flex. Also where you have the yoke get some "Y" fittings and make a brace that goes down to the stud that supports the frame that goes over your head and that way this will also take out any flex.

I'll go on to quote myself again..

Best feature that came out of laziness is that she bounces an wobbles a little bit, I originally intended to have more bracing but found she is stable enough and the bit of bounce in her is just "realism"  :P

No need for anymore support, its been built for 3 weeks now and hasn't budged once...

Jon,

I ordered and received 2 Goflight modules I got the

GF-RP48,

GF-T8..

I have plugged them in and tested them just haven't mounted them yet they alone are are a great little buy,

[just quietly, I think any one who has brought, made any sort of switch or module can and will tell you how much better it is than panning across the 2D, or 3D chasing a mouse cursor to click stuff, Its actually improved all my landings by being always able to keep 1 hand on the yoke and the other on the throttles!!]

I'll post some more pics and might even get a little video going on youtube, but I only wanted to put something up when "its all done 2 seats 2 monitors the landing gear module and the throttle quadrant..  ;) ;)

All in good time of course

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

all mounted now and I'm 1 happy chappy,

just gotta find the cord that connects my PC to my mobile phone to transfer the pics across...

I'll call out the search party 2morra arvo when my woman gets home...

cheers

josh

• 1 month later...

my bad...

Been a while coming I FINALLY found the cord that links the pc to the mobile phone  :)

a few bad pics taken at night with everything working beautifully with the LevelD 767X!!

out of the box..

Posted Image

The rotary switches for the IAS hold, HDG hold, VERT select and ALT hold knobs

the buttons under neath are

F/D, AT, HS, LOC, APP HOLD, AP CMD, AP DIS..

Posted Image

above my head are for all the lights

Taxi, Landing, NAV, Beacons, Storbes, Logo, Panel, Panel overide..

Posted Image

Lights switches and buttons everywhere!!  :o :o

Posted Image

Its been like this for some months now but I find these days I rarely get to jump on and have a decent crack and a good fly around  >:( >:(

ps

sorry bout the image quality!! 2mega pixel phone camera  ??? ???

and i'l try to get some daytime snaps

Josh

Josh, with all that empty PVC isnt there a way to drill some holes and stash some of that dangly wire away? or is it one of those things where you need a rouudtuit? I myself would be a lot happier if they came out with a wireless version of the X52!

Josh, with all that empty PVC isnt there a way to drill some holes and stash some of that dangly wire away? or is it one of those things where you need a rouudtuit? I myself would be a lot happier if they came out with a wireless version of the X52!

your right and I do want to do that,

But its a working progress,

I later want to add a 2nd seat another monitor, yoke, and pedals...

And getting the cables in an out everytime i want to do something would be a pain, so im waiting til im down to the final build to tidy everything up  ;) ;)

josh

• 1 month later...

Archived