Last flight of the Avro Vulcan

Hobnobs

For those of you who can see it, on Saturday evening Channel4 in the UK broadcast a documentary on the decommissioning and goodbye flight of the last airworthy Avro Vulcan. You can catch this on demand at 4OD. Hopefully the link will work. I don't know if this will be available outside the UK.

Its goodbye to another Cold War icon and wonder of the sky.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/guy-martin-last-flight-of-the-vulcan-bomber/on-demand/62318-001

This has very sad memories for me.  About another Vulcan's last flight.

It was my first year in the Air Force.  I was stationed at Selfridge AFB near Detroit Michigan in 1958.

The lights came on in our barracks about 2 or 3 AM when an officer came in and roused us all up.  We were transported by bus to a Vulcan crash site in a Detroit neighborhood.  It apparently dove straight down into a back yard.

We were given paper shopping bags and flash lights and had to walk through the crash site picking up body parts.  It was pretty grizzly.  One of our guys had to take a foot away from a dog.  We put red flags next to parts too large to fit into the shopping bags.  Another team followed us and picked up the larger parts and put them into a pickup truck.  As best as I can recollect we only found about 80 pounds of body parts that night.  The following day professionals arrived and I don't if the found more.

I didn't get over that night for quite a while.

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55326

Noel

10 hours ago, birdguy said:

This has very sad memories for me.  About another Vulcan's last flight.

It was my first year in the Air Force.  I was stationed at Selfridge AFB near Detroit Michigan in 1958.

The lights came on in our barracks about 2 or 3 AM when an officer came in and roused us all up.  We were transported by bus to a Vulcan crash site in a Detroit neighborhood.  It apparently dove straight down into a back yard.

We were given paper shopping bags and flash lights and had to walk through the crash site picking up body parts.  It was pretty grizzly.  One of our guys had to take a foot away from a dog.  We put red flags next to parts too large to fit into the shopping bags.  Another team followed us and picked up the larger parts and put them into a pickup truck.  As best as I can recollect we only found about 80 pounds of body parts that night.  The following day professionals arrived and I don't if the found more.

I didn't get over that night for quite a while.

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55326

Noel

Sad to hear Noel. Unfortunately the Vulcan's design allow only the pilots to eject. The three other engineering posts would go down with the plane as you no doubt know.

Apologies if my post brought back painful memories.

No apologies necessary Dean.  Such tragedies are a part of life.  Sometimes circumstances bring us closer than we'd like and being on the scene gives one a perspective that reading about it lacks.

Noel

Archived