Possibility to Optimize Anacortes?

GolfGuy72

Just curious if there's any chance Orbx will revisit Anacortes with an optimized update? Jarrad Marshall's work is outstanding, and this is one of my favorite sceneries to fly in and out of. Unfortunately, it's marred for me by low frame rates. I have practically everything unchecked in the control panel, use 30% GA traffic (no commercial traffic), use only 512x512 cirrus cloud textures (no cumulus) and can just barely manage 30 fps sitting on the runway in the default 172. As I roll down the runway, on approach and over various parts of the town, frame rates drop into the low 20s and sometimes even teens. By comparison, at Orcas, Friday Harbor, Darrington, Cushman Meadows, Diamond Point, Jefferson County, and a few others in the PNW area, I'm able to get well over 30 fps steadily without unchecking most options. At Palm Springs and Agua Dulce in SCA and Murray in NCA I can get over 60 fps anywhere over the scenery coverage area in default aircraft with all options checked and more weather.

Sorry for the long post - just wanted to explain my setup a bit. I realize the PNW area is pretty hard on the PC, but it would be awesome if there would be an opportunity to optimize Anacortes a bit more. Perhaps all that could be done in such a demanding area of the U.S. has already been done. Based on his other sceneries, Jarrad Marshall definitely knows his way around the optimization department! Either way, thanks for considering, and keep up the great work!

Mike

Trees HD, 2WA1, KORS, 74S, KCMW, W28, 0S9, 11S, 3W5, KBVS #FSS0430532
KFHR #FSS0436830
KEKA #FSS0487459
FTX PNW #FSS0418252
FTX NCA, L70 #FSS0487019
FTX SCA, KPSP #FSS0485954

Out of curiosity and to rule other things out, are you able to check how many FPS you get without ORBX Anacortes installed but everything else still installed?  I never noted Anacortes being that hard on frames for me, but that's just for me.  The real killer airport over there for me for whatever reason is 2WA1 Diamond Point which just trashes frames when I get near it for some reason.  I lower the settings when I'm near it and it ultimately ends up being "ok" so I'm not too worried about it.

-stefan

Hi Stefan,

I tried disabling Anacortes in the FSX Scenery Library, then went to the airport on the default runway. My FPS averaged above 40. All other conditions being equal, with Anacortes re-enabled in the Scenery Library, FPS dropped to 30 and then drop as I roll down the runway. It's funny, for me Diamond Point runs fine. Not great, but lots better than Anacortes. Wish I could have your Anacortes and you my Diamond Point! Good luck, and if you (or anyone else) have any further insight to share, please let me know!

Thanks again.

Mike

Haha, that's really interesting.

Couple things to check - do you have SGSSAA enabled in nvidia inspector or via other means?  I noticed that using that has trashed my FPS in a few places for whatever reason.  I'm on 1600p so I don't get much from it anyways so I was able to disable it with very little visual penalty and got a significant FPS boost in a few places (and most of all weather - REX + ASN was murder on it) so if you're doing that it might be worth trying.

Otherwise have you tried the control panel for Anacortes to disable features and see if any of them make a difference?

-stefan

Note: I should let you know I'm talking past tense for this - I currently use P3Dv3.2 and as such Anacortes isn't an option right now.  2WA1 is still hard on my frames though, and on the FSX machine it was the same, with 2WA1 being problematic and Anacortes being OK.  So I can't actually double check things right now, sorry!  I did do enough flights around there that I'm rather confident in my memory for it though.

Thanks for the idea, Stefan. I tried disabling SGSS (I was using 4x) and got an increase of a whopping 2 fps sitting on the runway with Anacortes enabled. With the Anacortes scenery disabled, my frame rates were around 42 fps, so the same relative gain in FPS with the scenery on and off. Wish I could find a way to get better performance out of 74S. If it stayed smooth at 30 fps and I could have more control panel options enabled, I would be very happy. But the dips into the 20s and teens when taking off and on final approach really detract from the immersion factor. It's a shame because Jarrad Marshall did such a good job modelling the airport, town, bridge marinas, etc. Hope they'll revisit with an update!

Thanks again for your help, Stefan, and have a great weekend!

Mike

Hi guys,

The grass models used at Anacortes are quite poly-dense (this is the only airport I have used these types at), so disabling these from your control panel will have a very noticeable effect. To be honest it's an unusual area, and as is indicative by the responses each time this is discussed, performance results vary greatly from user to user. Theoretically, there isn't too much in this scenery aside from the grass and marinas that should cause a heavy performance penalty; I strongly suspect there is something in this area that causes the anomalies in FPS. That said, my recommendations on features to switch off in order to help performance are as follows:

1. Grass/custom vegetation

2. Marinas (though these are disabled in the Control Panel by default)

3. The refinery (nb. I don't notice too much FPS difference with this, but I note some users in the past have commented that this has made a difference).

4. AI Aircraft

5. Animated people (Peopleflow)

6. Sounds - these aren't an option in the CP, but you can disable these files by adding ".OFF" to the appropriate bgls in your FTX_AA_74S/scenery folder

Cheers,

Jarrad

Thanks for your input, Jarrad. I'll give the sound item a try as I've tried the rest without a significant improvement. Based on the quality and performance of the rest of your work I have here, I have no doubt you did the best with what you had to work with. It's a shame it's such a troublesome area - you did an amazing job with the detail of the scenery!

Thanks again, Jarrad, and keep up the great work!

Mike

Archived