Reinstall OS means reinstall all ORBX?

Remko

Not my lucky day. Finally upgraded my PC two weeks ago, upgraded to P3Dv3 and Windows 10, and spent days reinstalling all my ORBX products. I completed that yesterday.

I don't know what happened today, but after I moved my PC into place today suddenly smoke everywhere. Result: one SATA cable melted on both ends and my C-drive (SDD) gone. Now, P3D and therefore all ORBX stuff was installed on a separate SDD, that one is still working fine. I have already purchased a new SDD for my C-drive and am currently reinstalling Win10.

Question: even though all ORBX products are still there, do I still need to reinstall P3D and everything ORBX (so that registry can be updated etc)?

Thanks

Remko

I should advice make anyway an additional copy of you orbx ssd, so you can make some tests.

I think when you install p3d again on same drive as it was before , after installing new OS on C: drive,

it should be possible to link again the whole folder again to p3d.

maybe you have to reinstall Global again and run central again to connect scenery again .

hope this can help, and save some time.

I can't add to the advice given, but - arrrgh - what a thing to happen. Is there any way to see if other components (motherboard etc.) have been affected? Are your new components still under guarantee?

Adam.

... and the next step on my installation plan was a full backup. Anyway, life goes on, and I've now learnt a valuable lesson that I'd like to share with you:

There is no standard for the cables that come with your PSU! The connectors on the PSU side might look identical, but the wiring could (and in my case certainly is) different.

When I had installed everything, just before closing up the PC, I replaced the PSU cable to my SSD with another one that didn't have 3 surplus connectors in the middle, so it would be a lot neater. I have now found out that cable wasn't from my Corsair PSU, but from an Antec PSU. The connector on the PSU side appears exactly the same, but is wired differently. I think it put 5V on the GND pin.

So: do not mix up the PSU cables. If you get a new PSU, use the cables that came with it!

I consider myself lucky only the SSD blew up (and the data cable), and not my new motherboard, CPU etc! A $128 lesson.

Remko

Archived