Region Selection Box (FTX Central) Why not both regions?

fishbait32

So I was reinstalling all of my flight simulator add-ons, and was going through and installing the typical ORBX products such as Global Vector, and then the region like PNW, CRM, etc. As stated in the installers, the FTX Central opens up and you can apply different regions. 

I am curious why you can't have both products active at the same time, with the ability to give priority to one of them (which ever want has higher detail, if the user wants that one). I was slightly confused why my FTX Global wasn't set as active, but North America was. I went in the Guide page that is in FTX Central and found the following quote: 

The icons within the FTX Central Region Selection Box represent FTX product families. Specifically, if you wish to fly anywhere in the world covered by FTX Global products, select "FTX Global". If you wish to fly within the boundaries of an FTX Full Region Pack, select the appropriate FTX Central Region (Oceania, Europe or North America).   

Confusion can happen here if unaware; if you wish to fly in North America but OUTISDE of an FTX Full Region coverage (for example, East Coast), you are flying within the confines of the FTX Global family of products, so select FTX Global, not North America.  

The question is, what happens if you take off out of KSEA (Seattle, WA) when you have the Pacific Northwest FTX region installed. So typically, the North America region is applied in FTX Central. But, your flight is going to New York, where there is no ORBX region covering it. As stated in the quote, it is recommended you apply FTX Global if you are flying outside of the region. Its weird it doesn't talk about if you are flying in between both regions. Are both products active if I fly out of the PNW region? I honestly don't know if Global is active underneath the FTX regions.

If anyone has more information on it, or an ORBX employee knows more and could help explain how it works that would be great. 

* By the way "Outside" is misspelled at the bottom of Volume 1, Page 31 of the FTX Definitive Guide. 

That's what the hybrid tick box is for.  Page 33/34 of the pdf here goes into it.

There's a post from JV around somewhere about getting rid of the whole region switching thing in the near(ish) future.

3 hours ago, fishbait32 said:

The question is, what happens if you take off out of KSEA (Seattle, WA) when you have the Pacific Northwest FTX region installed. So typically, the North America region is applied in FTX Central. But, your flight is going to New York, where there is no ORBX region covering it.

For the moment you would apply [Global - Hybrid]

ENtEHrZ.jpg

6 hours ago, Tim Harris said:

For the moment you would apply [Global - Hybrid]

ENtEHrZ.jpg

Ah, that makes sense. I was curious what was going on . So I should leave Global Hybrid mode on 24/7 no matter what, even if I am currently only flying in FTX regions? Or should I enable this mode only if I fly between Global and FTX region coverage? 

Assuming from enabling the hybrid mode, it will transition the simulator to have coverage of both products, so I would then assume I could leave this mode enabled 24/7 regardless of where I want to fly. Correct?

Archived