Upgrading video card on a new computer

chacal83

Hello all,

I would like to ask you if FSX would benefit from an upgrade of my graphic card ?

I just built a new computer based on a i5 6500 @3.20Ghz.

From old computer (a Q9300) i kept the power and my relativly old nvidia Geforce GTX 560 TI..(1Go Memory)

My FSX experiance is ok, far better than before, but maybe there is still some room for improvmemnt here. Or maybe the GC will not change FSX dramatically ?

Thanx for your advice.

Ludwik

Hi Ludwik

This is an interesting question and the answer in a way can be very subjective and in my opinion really related to what are your objectives  i.e. Do you just want to fly using the vc only, are you interested in a great deal of "eye candy" in terms of scenery, aircraft etc.  As you know FSX is very much dependent on the cpu, however the graphics card can make a difference especially if it is a limiting factor.

I think where I would start is to use Nvidia Inspector and the real time graphics capability to gather a bit of data on how your gpu is performing while you are flying a few typical flights. I have put a screenshot below. Pressing the circled button on the first screen will bring up the ability to show real time graphics of gpu usage, memory , clock speed etc. which are user selectable.

If you were to find that for what you would typically like to do that the gpu and memory are consistently flatlined at 100% usage, then perhaps you might wish to consider an upgrade, especially if you wished to increase settings etc (assuming that the cpu is capable). If you found that the gpu is not over stretched for what your objectives are then you may wish to keep what you have for the moment.

Hope this may help in developing some information to help your decision .....

Cheers

Renault

Capture.jpg

Thanx Renault for your help. I dindt know this feature of nvidia. I will try this once at home and post here what i  find. Anyway, i would like to fly on best details i can afford without playing with sliders when i pass near a bigger city for exemple in ftx regions... 

Thanks again for your help.

Ludwik 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello back Renault,

I have extensivly tried with settings during nividia inspector try. So my relativly old card is not so overusd. The memory more or less 900 Mo over 1024. And usage never more than 60% during flight sessions. Maybe my relativly poor resolution of monot (1280x768) is a reason why the card isn't overstressed.

Since I'm surprised, I was thniking that my new I5 is a warhorse, it's a good CPU but with FSX just ok on nowdays scenarii...

Finnally it seems that i should not change my GC, maybe if I upgrade my montor for a wide modern one with 1920 resolution ?

Thanks anyway for your help.

Ludwik

I agree with all that Renault has told you....If you get a bigger and better monitor you will need a better graphics card than you have.. I have just upgraded my Nvidia 750Ti to a 980Ti and it has considerably increased my graphics capability but, this was an expensive step so you need to think it through!

Kev

5 hours ago, Torchy821 said:

I have just upgraded my Nvidia 750Ti to a 980Ti and it has considerably increased my graphics capability

Why did you buy a 980Ti, when in 2 weeks the GTX 1070 is going to be released, which is not only substantially cheaper than your GTX 980 ti, but also substantially faster, even faster than a Titan.

Easy answer - I was not aware of the upcoming release.. Can't complain though, as I get what I need.. My cpu would become the bottleneck if I went for an even faster gpu.

Kev

16 hours ago, SBonner said:

Why did you buy a 980Ti, when in 2 weeks the GTX 1070 is going to be released, which is not only substantially cheaper than your GTX 980 ti, but also substantially faster, even faster than a Titan.

Wrong. The GTX-1070 will most probably not pass a proper custom design 980Ti, as already the GTX-1080 is only about 10-20% faster than a factory-overclocked 980Ti. Yes, you can still also overclock the 1080 and 1070, but most probably, the 1070 will be about 20% faster than the 980 and as such not overtaking the 980Ti.

@Topic: the easiest way to test if a novel GPU is doing you any good is simply reducing the resolution with your current setup. So, instead of your current resolution, switch down to 720p and see if you gain FPS like this. If you gain FPS, a novel graphics card most probably also deliver those FPS in the native resolution. If your FPS stay the same at 720p compared to FullHD or whatever your native resolution is, a novel graphics card will not provide you any additional FPS, because you are already running in the CPU limit. BUT: as others mentioned, with a stronger graphic card you can always "invest" the surplus of performance into image quality, e.g. by increasing antialiasing by using higher SGSSAA modes. So, while you might not gain FPS, you will certainly be able to increase the settings regarding visual appearance (not talking about the sliders in the menue, autogen and all those stuff is primarly CPU bound...).

On 2016-05-23 at 7:25 AM, AnkH said:

Wrong. The GTX-1070 will most probably not pass a proper custom design 980Ti, as already the GTX-1080 is only about 10-20% faster than a factory-overclocked 980Ti. Yes, you can still also overclock the 1080 and 1070, but most probably, the 1070 will be about 20% faster than the 980 and as such not overtaking the 980Ti.

Sure, I'm so "wrong"... :rolleyes::

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review,1.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-4.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/72689-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review.html

Or how about this article... "GeForce GTX 1070 performance preview: goodbye, 980 Ti":

http://www.pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1070-performance-preview/

You should take more care about what I was writing. Yes, the GTX-1070 does pass in some scenarios a reference 980Ti running at stock clocks, but come on, who is using such a 980Ti and that's what I said ("most probably not pass a proper custom design 980Ti"). As soon as you take into account a proper 980Ti like the MSI 980Ti Lighting, the results are not that phenomenal anymore:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidia-Geforce-Grafikkarte-255598/Specials/GTX-1070-Benchmarks-Test-Preis-1196360/2/

Furthermore, some of those reviews are a joke, as quiet some benchmarks greatly profit from the rest of the system. Best example: the 3DMark11 test of guru3d.com:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1070_review,27.html

The overall score is 21560, but if you look on the screenshot below, you will realize that the graphic score is 23663. Now, compare this value with my own 3DMark11 run using a PALIT 980Ti: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10109881 surprise, surprise, the 980Ti has 26898 graphic score, almost 10% more...

Besides that, no body can tell if the 256bit memory interface will not be an issue regarding FSX/P3D until someone tested those cards. You can also not compare those benchmarks in regard to FSX/P3D, the results might differ. However, in contrast to the GTX-1080, the GTX-1070 might be an alternative to the 980Ti, as soon as custom designs will be available because they will most probably run another 10% faster and cooler. But the reference cards are certainly not a competitor for a custom design 980Ti...

52 minutes ago, AnkH said:

... proper 980Ti like the MSI 980Ti Lighting...

Proper? The fastest and by far most expensive 980Ti? Only if you regard Ferrari as a "proper" vehicle :D

The 1070 does compare quite well regarding the fact it's a reference board that will come out at half the price and a 10%+ OC headroom (and 8GB).

Of course it does. My post was only a response on the statement above that buying a 980Ti was stupid because the GTX-1070 will be "substantially faster", which is simply wrong, I stick to my statement. The GTX-1070, as soon as available in custom designs, will be a better pick, but this card is certainly NOT "substantially faster" than a 980Ti and it takes another two weeks minimum until it is available in custom designs. But yes, the MSI 980Ti Lighting is a fast 980Ti, but regarding clocks, most 980Ti custom cards including PALIT Super Jetstream, Gigabyte, EVGA, Zotac and ASUS Strix have almost identical clock speeds and will work easily with those MSI offers.

Archived